The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: 2017 NHL draft

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

No Cal Foote?

For me this draft for D is Liljegren, Foote...everyone else.

I'd take a look at Nicolas Hague. He's 6'6 and has 8 goals in 13 games. Kid has a huge shot from the point. I also really like Foote and see a lot of upside but at the moment I'd say Hague is every bit as good/ comparable in ranking.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253977

19 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What is his upside at the offensive end?

Last year playing a 4-6 role was nearly .5 ppg, playoff performer at about the same pace.  6 foot 3 205 pounds.  I enjoy watching him skate, his dad was no slouch either

13 hours ago, CanuckMan10 said:

I'd take a look at Nicolas Hague. He's 6'6 and has 8 goals in 13 games. Kid has a huge shot from the point. I also really like Foote and see a lot of upside but at the moment I'd say Hague is every bit as good/ comparable in ranking.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253977

Hague looks solid.  But I am biased, I get to watch Cal in Kelowna 15-20 times a year.  And I have said it since 2002.  Ignoring D from Kelowna is like ignoring forwards from London.  All they do is succeed and win.  Foote by the way hasn't scored I think this year but moves the puck on the PP like a stud racking up them primary assists

On 10/14/2016 at 10:52 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Michael Rasmussen looks like he could be a interesting player, good offense, 6'5 frame, center, and is a BC boy! 8 goals in 7 games to start the year in the WHL. 

I think when it's all said and done he'll be a top-7 guy. Rasmussen reminds me a little bit of Kopitar at 17/18. A lot of great tools and on ice work ethic. he should be a quality, 2-way, top-6 centre in the NHL 

If we don't get a top 2 pick which is highly likely since we haven't had any luck ever in the draft, and end up with a 4th or 5th overall, I would strongly consider Vilardi. This kid would've been a great player in the tourney and had he not been injured he would've been the best player for Canada. Also him and Horvat would be a lovely one two punch :wub:

On 11/2/2016 at 0:15 AM, CanuckMan10 said:

My favorite prospect at the moment. This guy's electric and likely on the rise. Can play C or LW which is a good fit for us right now because our 2 biggest needs are a top line C or LW. All i know is we need to draft someone with elite skill, a potential star and i like Mittelstadt.

Mittelstadt looks really good in that highlight package. He has speed and knows when to turn on the jets. He also just seems so aware on the ice, and his stick skills! Holy his stick skills kills! Good using his stick defensively with stick lifts and poke-checks causing turnovers, then using it back and forth to change up the angles for passes and shots! So creative... definitely not a "score all my goals by powering to the net" kinda guy but he can create in the offensive zone like the Sedins and score by going to the dirty areas as well. I agree, we need a forward with elite skill and Mittelstadt looks like the guy.

I like his scouting report from Elite Prospects:

" An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"

Imagine a one-two punch of Mittelstadt and Boeser on the top line, then Horvat and Virtanen on the 2nd line. 

the more I watch middlesteadt the more I like him, looks like bure and kane mixed together but not quite as fast as bure or quick with the puck as kane but still very good.

I bet we finish 3rd or 4th last and I would draft him and try to get another 1st and grad foote or Rasmussen. Of course Tippett, and vilardi are interesting as well.

Jake Oettinger would be a money ball late round 1st as I bet he goes Demko style and rips it up in college, so his value will increase in a few years after the draft more so than other late 1sts I think.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:01 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

What is his upside at the offensive end?

ok but not aesome, I do not see him as a top 10. prob a 12-15 like a rich man's noah juulsen with more physicality

but you cannot discount the the pedigree and where he is playing in junior. If he was available with a second 1st rounder, it would be between him and rasmussen for me.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

ok but not aesome, I do not see him as a top 10. prob a 12-15 like a rich man's noah juulsen with more physicality

but you cannot discount the the pedigree and where he is playing in junior. If he was available with a second 1st rounder, it would be between him and rasmussen for me.

Thanks.

Over the holidays have 3 weeks off.  Will be streaming a lot of SHL, CHL, NCAA.  More than normal funny enough? :P

The Nico Show:

Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that 2017 NHL Draft prospect Nico Hischier of the Halifax Mooseheads is the CHL Player of the Week for the week ending November 13 after recording nine points in two games with five goals and four assists along with a plus-minus rating of plus-4.

Hischier earned first star honours in both games last week leading the Mooseheads to a pair of victories on home ice to improve their record to 11-10-0-0.  On Friday night he scored two goals and three assists as part of a 9-5 win over the Sherbrooke Phoenix, then scored his second hat-trick of the season while adding an assist in a 7-4 win against the Charlottetown Islanders.

A 17-year-old from Naters, Switzerland, Hischier is playing in his first QMJHL season with the Mooseheads after being chosen sixth overall in the 2016 CHL Import Draft.  The rookie is currently tied for second in QMJHL scoring with 34 points including 17 goals and 17 assists in 21 games and is a top prospect for the 2017 NHL Draft with an ‘A rating’ from NHL Central Scouting in their October Players to Watch list.

Archived