The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: 2017 NHL draft

Cody Glass is climbing. Fast. Strong start to the season with 15 pts in 7 games, now sitting at 59 in 45. It seems he shares the C with Caleb Jones for the Winterhawks. Kids caught my eye for sure. Wouldn't be shocked if climbs into the top 10.

Jack Ahcan from St.Cloud is another guy who really intrigues me. He's a little undersized for a D man but he battles. He plays similar to Troy Stecher, he's also got a gold from the WJC this year. Bob Motzko, who coached team USA, coaches him at St.Cloud. 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen much talk here about Ryan Poehling. His numbers aren't huge this year since he graduated high school early and is playing NCAA but scored big numbers in high school.

Big guy who can fly with some smarts seems like a great early to mid round pick if that is where the Canucks end up landing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we're zeroing in on a likely top-5 pick, who is everyone hoping for? 

You're always wanting to pick 1 or 2, aka, Patrick or Hischier, but the other two guys I like are Rasmussen and Vilardi. I also like Liljegren, but I put more of a priority on a forward. 

My current top-5

1- Hischier

2- Patrick

3- Rasmussen

4- Vilardi

5- Liljegren

53 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Now that we're zeroing in on a likely top-5 pick, who is everyone hoping for? 

You're always wanting to pick 1 or 2, aka, Patrick or Hischier, but the other two guys I like are Rasmussen and Vilardi. I also like Liljegren, but I put more of a priority on a forward. 

My current top-5

1- Hischier

2- Patrick

3- Rasmussen

4- Vilardi

5- Liljegren

Rasmussen at 3rd....eewww

Hischier

Patrick

Liljegren

Middlestadt

Or frigging trade that pick for a grade A prospect and or 1st this and next year or both

30 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Curious, which "A" prospect would you target?

A guy like Colin White of Ottawa would certainly intrigue me but I doubt that they'll give him up. I also like Jeff Skinner, although not a prospect, he's still quite young. Could be our number one LW

13 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Curious, which "A" prospect would you target?

Jost is one I'd consider.  Jost and a 2018 1st.

Philli for one of their big D prospects plus this and next years 1st.

Any number of options but not Rasmussen at 3 blech

I'm still liking Vilardi if we aren't top 2. 

Rasmussen  is outside my top 10.

Patrick 

Hiachier

Vilardi

Middelstadt

Liljegren

Pettersen

Klostin 

Necas

Foote

Glass

Yamamoto is my favorite outside those 10

If we can trade Edler for the 20th pick and a prospect or second and draft this guy, I'll consider the draft a success.

Now that Cody Glass is in the discussion for our pick, wanted to shamelessly pump his tires here. I've seen him here in Portland many nights, he always stands out. Whether its his creativity on offense or more impressive to me, his hustle and determination when backchecking and on defense he is always someone who grabs your attention. Kid is a complete center, good size, good skater, great hands and hockey IQ, along with heart and hustle. I would be ecstatic if Vancouver selected him. I'm not sure who the pro's compare him to but he reminds me a lot of Logan Couture. His upside is definitely a top 6 center, with a not unrealisitic possibility of being a serviceable top line center

On 2017-03-10 at 10:27 AM, canucklax said:

Now that Cody Glass is in the discussion for our pick, wanted to shamelessly pump his tires here. I've seen him here in Portland many nights, he always stands out. Whether its his creativity on offense or more impressive to me, his hustle and determination when backchecking and on defense he is always someone who grabs your attention. Kid is a complete center, good size, good skater, great hands and hockey IQ, along with heart and hustle. I would be ecstatic if Vancouver selected him. I'm not sure who the pro's compare him to but he reminds me a lot of Logan Couture. His upside is definitely a top 6 center, with a not unrealisitic possibility of being a serviceable top line center

I'll risk getting a little flamed for this, but "Cody Glass" doesn't sound like the name of a legit scoring threat. It doesn't have flare, and the kid was pointless at the WJC-17 tourney. I could just be suffering from confirmation bias though after already having one Glass on this team.

If we had another pick I'd take a flyer on him..

1 hour ago, Zoolander said:

I'll risk getting a little flamed for this, but "Cody Glass" doesn't sound like the name of a legit scoring threat. It doesn't have flare, and the kid was pointless at the WJC-17 tourney. I could just be suffering from confirmation bias though after already having one Glass on this team.

If we had another pick I'd take a flyer on him..

I totally understand, first thing I did when he came into the lineup last year was to make sure he wasn't related haha. Guy is legit though

Archived