The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vintage/Classic gaming memories

Rocky Balboa

Let's see how old everyone is here.

What's your favorite vintage/classic video game memory?  I remember my first video games were on CASSETTE tape.  That's right.   On my Commodore Vic-20...:lol: It took 10 minutes to load a game.

I also remember being envious of my friends Colecovision and the controllers with the number pad on it...

- Getting my mom's permission to Call the Nintendo hotline for tips on Zelda and Final Fantasy. 

- Finding the crystal sword by total fluke for  FFIV (FF2 in NA)

- Getting a x-mas card from my mom with this 12 digit code at the back.  Turns out she somehow got the Tyson password for Mike Tyson's punchout.   To this day I don't know how, this was before the internet, kids.

- Speaking of Tyson's punchout, I was never more disappointed when I rented the power glove for that.  Thank god I didn't buy it, err get it as a gift.

- But by far the best memory, even best memory as a kid overall, was the day I was at my friends house.  We just finished school for the year so obviously was totally pumped.  My mom phoned, as soon as the phone was handed to me she just flipped out, asking me why I didn't do any chores.  Told me to get my sorry ass home, I know when she got home from work I was a dead man kid.  Heard the car enter the driveway, doors slamming feet stomping towards my room.  She opens the door and in her arms was...........

Super Nintendo baby!   SNES awww yeah.  What a glorious summer, the best any kid could have.

1 hour ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Let's see how old everyone is here.

What's your favorite vintage/classic video game memory?  I remember my first video games were on CASSETTE tape.  That's right.   On my Commodore Vic-20...:lol: It took 10 minutes to load a game.

I also remember being envious of my friends Colecovision and the controllers with the number pad on it...

You had a VIC-20 too??? Lunar Lander! Space Invaders!

A bunch stand out.

Sid Meire's (sp?)Pirates, and Railroad Tycoon.

Colonial Conquest and Elite on the Commodore 64.

Aces of the Pacific and It Came from the Desert for the Amiga.

Then my all time favourite. Interstate 76'! 

First game I personally owned was starfox 64. We had a sega but that was my dads. I remember playing the ninja turtle cmgame for that. Pizza=health.

Im a big vintage gamer. Currently my friends an i are addicted to nhl 94 and nba jam 94. It gets pretty heated.

my fav memories are getting up on weekend mornings to play donkey kong country while my mom was always busying herself with cleaning or whatever and listening to her music (i pretended to hate it, but secretly loved it). just one of those intensely vivid scenes from my childhood i can picture very well for some reason 

also... the moment in FF7. the entirety of Earthbound. Chrono Trigger. So many great SNES moments for me.

staying up late on the night before my birthday and being able to open Super Return of the Jedi and play through it

oh lord

*weeps*

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You had a VIC-20 too??? Lunar Lander! Space Invaders!

A bunch stand out.

Yep, first home computer!

I remember some space game where you were a rocket of some sort and you moved your ship around space by space and refueling when needed and dodging blasts.  

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Super Nintendo baby!   SNES awww yeah.  What a glorious summer, the best any kid could have.

I remember my parents buying my NES at Superstore and me walking proudly around the store with it while they shopped :lol:

I had an SNES but I can't remember how/when I got it...though I bet there was a tantrum involved...

Mucking Spyro, Crash, Zelda, Mario, and Banjo back in the day.  Also, the days of GBC were hella fun.

Sports games came along and I've been there steady.  Although I enjoy a good RPG every now and then.

17 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Then my all time favourite. Interstate 76'! 

Used to replay the intro over and over again. That was one of the funnest and most pointless games ever. ("watch that sh1t, cowboy ...") The driving around and great music of GTA Vice City replaced it very nicely later on.

Also have to mention Ghosts'n Goblins, loved that one. So many all night sessions playing it with friends after getting baked. And so serious. Everyone taking turns and everyone concentrating super hard to pass certain levels. In depth stoned conversations on how to best go about it. Discussions. Planning. Diagrams. Hilarious.

(when the Tomb Raider games came along there were about ten of us in one apartment every weeknight, that was intense ... real genuine disappointment and public ridicule whenever someone killed Lara)

10 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Also have to mention Ghosts'n Goblins, loved that one. So many all night sessions playing it with friends after getting baked. And so serious. Everyone taking turns and everyone concentrating super hard to pass certain levels. In depth stoned conversations on how to best go about it. Discussions. Planning. Diagrams. Hilarious.

Great game.  Had that on my C64....I never made it that far in the game though.  I finally Youtubed the game and got to see the ending lol ::D

Making an interactive game for my elementary school using the basic language on an early Macintosh or something. So other kids could converse with it and it would remember your answers.

My first console game ever:

Beating Dragons lair in the arcade and having people crowding behind me and cheering like that scene in the last starfighter. 

Spending so much time in Ultima six that I started to understand gargoyle Hieroglyphics 

Messing around with memory managers and soundblaster settings so I could hear voices in wing commander without crashing.

Beating every Sierra and lucasarts game ever made in the 90's.

Friends actually setting me up with a girl so I wouldn't be there so someone else could win the Sega Genesis NHL 94 tournament for a change. 

Archived