The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 IIHF World Championship Thread

18 hours ago, Toews said:

I dont blame Jalonen, a coach has an obligation to ice the best roster. They did not know that Florida and Minnesota would get eliminated in the first round. Had Granlund played better in the exhibition games, he would probably be still there. Every year as teams get eliminated players join the roster at the worlds, so it's not uncommon for a player to lose a spot to someone better.

The only problem here was Granlund was promised a spot but I am not sure Jalonen deserves all of the blame there. When you get the coaching gig you have to follow to protocol and the Finns chose to promise players spots to get them there. Had they not done so there is a chance a number of their guys may not have even shown up.

Why's that? I'd think it would be an honor to represent your country on an international scale. And why promise if you won't even follow through? I'm sure Granny's got a bad taste in hi mouth after this…I'll bet he'll remember too if he's more successful in the future and they come calling again.

9 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Is Hutton even playing?

I can't even tell I've seen Reilly, Tanev, Murray, Ceci, Matheson... 

Yeah he has been quietly solid.

This US team is quite awful though. I didn't bother to check lineups last night or I would have stayed in bed. 

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yeah he has been quietly solid.

This US team is quite awful though. I didn't bother to check lineups last night or I would have stayed in bed. 

You aren't kidding.  These guys blow big time.

Am I reading this right?  Canada's opponents for the tournament after USA today are Hungary, Belarus, and Germany???

That's not a good thing when Canada needs to turn it up a notch later in the tournament against 'real' teams.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Am I reading this right?  Canada's opponents for the tournament after USA today are Hungary, Belarus, and Germany???

That's not a good thing when Canada needs to turn it up a notch later in the tournament against 'real' teams.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was looking over rosters and the turnout with the WC also coming up has been very poor. Russia is the only serious threat, and that is if the Caps get eliminated as the Russian stars are the ones that always show up consistently after getting eliminated from the NHL playoffs.

Archived