The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

Jesus a lot of talk of getting rid of Stecher on the previous page, huge mistake so I expect Benning to not re-sign him...  Heart and soul local kid - rather have him over Myers tbh.  I hope he gets re-signed.  Condolences to Troy - always tough losing a parent.  

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:51 AM, wildcam said:

So sorry Troy Stetcher to hear about lose of your father...What is with Vancouver? 

Two players lost there fathers poor Zach MacEwen 2 months ago and now Troy Stetchers Dad...

Don't forget about Markie and his dad this season.

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Googlie said:

That was back in 2018. Since then both players ice time went down. In Stechers case we finally had a decent top 4 to push him down. 

2 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Stecher better be careful or he just might play himself into another Canuck contract!!

He's certainly making it harder to walk away from him.

Only way he stays though IMO is if Tanev walks on to greener ($$$) pastures... Or maybe if we're able to move Benn (and Stecher stays under $2.5m).

And likely no Toffoli either (though that might be a given at this point unfortunately).

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's certainly making it harder to walk away from him.

Only way he stays though IMO is if Tanev walks on to greener ($$$) pastures... Or maybe if we're able to move Benn (and Stecher stays under $2.5m).

And likely no Toffoli either (though that might be a given at this point unfortunately).

As poor as our defence was during the regular season, how do you walk away from either of Tanev or Stecher at the moment?  

I know Fantenberg is a goner, but he had a pretty monster game today too and was our best D in terms of physical push back.

If there is enough goodwill from the players after a taste of success, maybe we can get Tanev for a discount 3 year $4.5 million contract (which would certainly mean he gets a NMC for expansion) and Stecher for a 3-4 year $2.25 one which is low on AAV but also gives him a lot of term.

That's the thing we've been missing for awhile and forgotten, which players are effective playoff performers. We've seen lots of the "sure, he's great in the regular season" but haven't seen as much of the "this guy steps it up come postseason play." How this shakes down will really factor into who comes back.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

As poor as our defence was during the regular season, how do you walk away from either of Tanev or Stecher at the moment?  

I know Fantenberg is a goner, but he had a pretty monster game today too and was our best D in terms of physical push back.

If there is enough goodwill from the players after a taste of success, maybe we can get Tanev for a discount 3 year $4.5 million contract (which would certainly mean he gets a NMC for expansion) and Stecher for a 3-4 year $2.25 one which is low on AAV but also gives him a lot of term.

I think the big question for both Tanev and especially Stecher is the price. Both guys are worth keeping, but costs are tight. I'd love to keep Stech, but I'm not sure we should be paying him more than $2M per, even if he's more valuable than that on the open market.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think the big question for both Tanev and especially Stecher is the price. Both guys are worth keeping, but costs are tight. I'd love to keep Stech, but I'm not sure we should be paying him more than $2M per, even if he's more valuable than that on the open market.

I think there's a good chance we see Benn gone in order to re-sign Stecher.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think there's a good chance we see Benn gone in order to re-sign Stecher.

That would be great, but that involves us actually getting rid of it, which means we need to find a buyer. It's not impossible, but it takes a lot more moving parts to align for that than to simply let Stecher walk. I'd prefer to keep Stecher over Benn, but I'm not sure how likely it is.

Just now, -AJ- said:

That would be great, but that involves us actually getting rid of it, which means we need to find a buyer. It's not impossible, but it takes a lot more moving parts to align for that than to simply let Stecher walk. I'd prefer to keep Stecher over Benn, but I'm not sure how likely it is.

Benn is probably our most likely contract to be rid without needing a to add too many assets of because it isn't unreasonable. 2M for one more year for a 6/7D. I don't think teams will be licking their chops but, given the cap situation with corona keeping it flat, they might seek a cheap veteran Dman than what FA has to offer. In theory.

Barring us shedding any major contracts or Eriksson retiring(pipedream) Toffoli is gone unfortunately. We have 17M in cap, lets say Tanev and Marky take up 11-12M of that. Leaves us with roughly 5-6M of cap with the choices to sign Gaud/Virtanen/Motte/Stecher/Mac/Leivo/Fanta. 

Something REALLY has to give or we take a step back. What I could see happening is us having to spend assets to clear some cap. I also have a strong feeling that Virtanen is traded in the off-season.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Take back an under performing $1m contract we can bury and attach a mid-late round pick swap? Something like that might be enough to move Benn and retain Stecher (on a discount).

We could also just bite the bullet and pay the price (Demko?) to move Eriksson.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Given both the cap issues and the expansion draft the Canucks face, it might be more likely than it would have been otherwise.

A fair assessment, yes. cap constraints may require teams to use more ELC players.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone will replace Stech.

Isn't Rathbone a LD?

So, it would be him and/or Juolevi replacing Fantenberg/Benn and then eventually maybe Edler.

Rafferty and Woo are the next men up as far as RD go. (I am discounting Brisebois and Chatfield as nothing more than depth or placeholders).
Tryamkin plays both sides and is a dark horse as well, it sure would be nice to see that sort of size in a series like this leaning on guys and wearing them down.

Realistically, none of our D prospects are really likely bets to be top 4 guys.  Some might be, but mostly long shots.  We could use another legit D man so we aren't leaning on Edler and Tanev like we are.  They should be 2nd or even 3rd pairing guys at this age who can have their minutes conserved and move up in case of injury.