The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tattoo Thread

Rate this topic

I have a tattoo across my shoulders that says "California Dreamin'" :lol: Pretty much precludes me from ever moving out of state! I am looking to get more. I would love one of those huge Japanese/horimono back pieces. I'm a cat lady cat lover, so I've been thinking something like this, but getting three colored to look like my little fur balls. I'd lover to have my whole back filled, even if it meant covering my Cali tat. If that happens I'll just get the Cali tat redone somewhere else on my body. 

tumblr_o1vsd0kNI21qfw7o6o1_540.jpg

tumblr_o4wwyxdG5i1qfw7o6o1_540.jpg

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Very few artists in Vancouver can come close to Remis level of BNG realism m8

And the top 2 have closed books right now and they have been closed for years only working with existing clients.

If you want that level of work be prepared to travel to Europe or to the States and set an appointment well in the future because of wait lists. Unless it is an artist that takes rolling bookings every 2-4 months.

Good luck

Also Check out the app: "The Brag Art List" as well, the creator still has thousands of artists to add and its missing many Canadian Artists but its a solid starting point. Its gonna be going through some updates soon too where you can search by style and stuff but check it out, it helped me a lot.

If not interested in that, GasTown Tattoo Craig Moston is a name that comes to mind to check out

I'm definitely not going to cheap out (but I'm also not gonna blow all my savings on it), I know a piece of work that intricate is going to cost me quite a bit by the time it is all said and done, but even still I wasn't expecting anything that would be the same level of quality as Remis.

Will definitely check that app and Moston out though.  Even though I know it'll probably be a couple years until I can get around to getting it done, always better to get everything thought out beforehand.

17 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I'm definitely not going to cheap out (but I'm also not gonna blow all my savings on it), I know a piece of work that intricate is going to cost me quite a bit by the time it is all said and done, but even still I wasn't expecting anything that would be the same level of quality as Remis.

Will definitely check that app and Moston out though.  Even though I know it'll probably be a couple years until I can get around to getting it done, always better to get everything thought out beforehand.

Check out Riley Hogan's work (I posted a couple examples in the thread), he's in Calgary, and does conventions, so he may even travel to Vancouver!

33 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

That's how Blake spelt it, imagin'd, so the quote is accurate! Haha, the artist also questioned the spelling when I showed him the work.

Ah ok. I figured there had to be a reason. No way could I have been the first one to spot such a typo.

32 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Just out of curiosity, what would a sleeve with that kind of detail run you? I've thought about doing a black/grey detailed sleeve,  but I just can't justify spending what I assume is probably 4-6000 on such a thing.

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ah fantastic to know. I may look at him for something in the future now.

How far ahead is he booked! 

Yea if you know what you want just make a date with him and stick to it!!

Not super far, I just checked his Facebook page and in February he was booking in April & May.

I'm gonna email him next month and book with him, enough waiting!

• Upvote 1

Been thinking of getting one for just over 20 years lol.

but two of my friends and one dude back in my travelling days had tattoos done of my design which I was flattered and honoured to have happen.  The semi stranger was this Italian fella who managed the building I lived in in London back in 95-96.  He was an ex skinhead and he wanted all the skinhead tattoos on his arm covered so I was happy to do that.

i got to sit in on one tattoo session for my friend too which was great.  Was one of many fun experiences I had with him.  Sadly he took his own life last year.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

Check out Riley Hogan's work (I posted a couple examples in the thread), he's in Calgary, and does conventions, so he may even travel to Vancouver!

Yeah I saw those, definitely looks like he'd be right up my alley for what I want.  I don't think I'd want to travel to get mine done (a lot of added expenses), but if he was in Vancouver for a while that would definitely be something I would look in to.

1 hour ago, KFBR392 said:

Just out of curiosity, what would a sleeve with that kind of detail run you? I've thought about doing a black/grey detailed sleeve,  but I just can't justify spending what I assume is probably 4-6000 on such a thing.

From what I can tell I'll need around 15 hours for the half sleeve.  15* say $175 an hour is at $2625.  I'll have to pay for someone to design it as well which will add a bit more to the price.  I've been budgeting it at at around $3000.  But yeah, at such a high level of detail it wouldn't shock me if it would take 20+ hours and get up around $4000.  

Just another reason it'll take me a while to actually get it done.  I've got a lot of travelling to get done before I shell out money on that (hence the compass and sextant inspiration for the tattoo).

I have a buddy who had a full sleeve done a few years ago, really nice detailing (unfortunately the guy who did his is no longer in the area) and he said he was around $5000 for the whole thing.

Edited by Jägermeister
Just now, CaptainCanuck001 said:

It's a great graphic novel probably my second favourite behind Sin City.

The movie isn't too bad either

I've got the Sin City collection, amazing stuff. I love Frank Miller's negative space work, and I liked the V movie, it just wasn't as satisfying as the comic. Still pretty good flick though.

7 hours ago, KFBR392 said:

In Canada Artists usually charge 150-200 an hour.  Some Charge Day Rates.

The real question is how long will the artist take, how detailed it is etc. Some artists are slow, some are fast.

A full sleeve can be anywhere from 15-40 ish hours it really depends on a lot.

A black and Grey Detailed sleeve by a good artist who isnt known to be really slow I would estimate 4 Full Day Sessions (7-8 Hours each)

And with a tip a well done full sleeve detailed bng will end up being in that exact range you have put 4-6K.

When I was in the Navy in 1970 I got a tat on my leg in San Diego drunk on the way back from T Town a horrible tattoo. Got a couple of Tiger sharks on my shoulder from Sailor Jerry's joint in Honolulu the same trip....never found out what joint gave me a life long gift in Hep C.

• Upvote 1

this would be a good thread to post in. i'm thinking of getting a tattoo done. it's video game related, so im wondering if you guys knew a place that (in vancouver, burnaby, new west) i guess specializes in geeky stuff *it's not a triforce logo or something like that, but something more personal for me. price isn't much of an issue, but if i were to want to name a price, i'd say anything between 150-200 per hour for something not too complex but i'm willing to shop for what the artist thinks its worth and im willing to do sessions and not do it all in one day.

i have a few friends who recommend this and that and their tats are great and all but its hard to choose a place on something thats hard to take back, since you're trusting your body to someone. i've never had a tattoo done so im a bit skeptic on everything since everyone recommends someone different

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

this would be a good thread to post in. i'm thinking of getting a tattoo done. it's video game related, so im wondering if you guys knew a place that (in vancouver, burnaby, new west) i guess specializes in geeky stuff *it's not a triforce logo or something like that, but something more personal for me. price isn't much of an issue, but if i were to want to name a price, i'd say anything between 150-200 per hour for something not too complex but i'm willing to shop for what the artist thinks its worth and im willing to do sessions and not do it all in one day.

i have a few friends who recommend this and that and their tats are great and all but its hard to choose a place on something thats hard to take back, since you're trusting your body to someone. i've never had a tattoo done so im a bit skeptic on everything since everyone recommends someone different

In my less than professional opinion, I'd get a list of artists that people have recommended to you & then just start cruising their Instagram, get a feel for what their styles are like & then pick the one you feel fits your tattoo plan the best. Most tattoo artists nowadays are very active posting their work on Instagram, far more than on Facebook or their shop websites Make up your own mind about who's art you like. Do you have images of what you want done, like pics of the characters and the poses you want them in?

As far as getting the work done in sessions, how big a piece are you looking to get? Where do you want it? What's your pain tolerance? I personally like getting it all done in one sitting, I like having the finished product right then, but it's more painful. For bigger pieces getting the outline done and then colour fills later is pretty common.

Getting your first tattoo is the hardest. I drew mine and had it around for over a year and a half, showing it & telling people I was going to get it done real soon. It wasn't until someone gave it to me as a gift that I actually bit the bullet. It can take time though to fully realize what you want & what's important to you in life that you want to permanently represent it on your body. I have 7 done over the course of 9 years, but 6 of them have come in the past 2 years.