The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Marijuana Legalization Bill Coming In Spring 2017

hsedin33

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04/20/canada-marijuana-legaliza_n_9738222.html?utm_hp_ref=canada

Canadian Marijuana Legalization Bill Coming In Spring 2017, Jane Philpott Announces

Federal Health Minister Jane Philpott dropped this little nugget of information on, of all days, April 20: legislation to legalize marijuana in Canada will be introduced in the spring of 2017.

Philpott made the announcement while in New York Wednesday, where she is leading the Canadian delegation to the United Nations General Assembly special session on drugs.

“Our approach to drugs must be comprehensive, collaborative and compassionate. It must protect human rights while promoting shared responsibility and it must have a firm scientific foundation," she said.

Philpott said Canada would apply those principles to marijuana legalization.

She conceded the change “challenges the status quo in many countries,” but said Canada’s government is convinced it is the best way to protect the youth and enhance public safety.

Canada will continue to “modernize” its approach to drugs, she said, to embrace among other things compassionate treatment and harm reduction.

Minister references mother's story

Philpott says she recently heard an emotional story from a mother who lost her daughter due to substance abuse.

"She described watching her daughter slip away as she struggled to access the treatment and services that should have been available to save a beautiful, fragile life," she said.

"Stories like this are far too commonplace. Countless lives are cut short due to overdoses of licit and illicit substances. Today, I stand before you as Canada's minister of health to acknowledge that we must do better for our citizens."

With files from Ryan Maloney and The Canadian Press

---

Cool. I never thought that weed was going to be fully legal by October of this year (the liberals said they wanted to legalize it within one year of taking power) but this is definitely a step in the right direction. 

Looking forward to that pot tax revenue being injected back into the country. 

57 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I saw her name

JANE philPOTT

Waiting for a French MP named Blaise to comment on this.

I'm Blaise but not an MP,buuuut, it'll be nice to be able to get my weed without having to buy it from some random a dude at a street corner or bar. Not that I have to do this, but when I moved to Quebec from BC,it was a big stress to not have a steady supplier.

Anyway,nice to see things are moving forward on this issue.B)

Not a smoker myself (and hate the smell btw) but the government stands to make a good chunk of money off of this.

As long as I don't smell it too strongly that often, I'll be fine. I assume it would be like all other types of smoking - not in the car with children, no smoking within 25 feet of a Starbucks, and I would assume no smoking while driving.

4 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Not a smoker myself (and hate the smell btw) but the government stands to make a good chunk of money off of this.

As long as I don't smell it too strongly that often, I'll be fine. I assume it would be like all other types of smoking - not in the car with children, no smoking within 25 feet of a Starbucks, and I would assume no smoking while driving.

Smoking marijuana while driving is DUI. It will probably share similar regulations with cigarettes in regards of smoking in public and around children.

They just need to treat it like alcohol and cigarettes in certain instances. Must be 19 or older, Illegal to give to youth, Illegal to drive while smoking weed, etc.

That way they appeal to the general public.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Smoking marijuana while driving is DUI. It will probably share similar regulations with cigarettes in regards of smoking in public and around children.

They just need to treat it like alcohol and cigarettes in certain instances. Must be 18 or older, Illegal to give to youth, Illegal to drive while smoking weed, etc.

That way they appeal to the general public.

FTFY. 

Old enough to serve, old enough to be served. 

Archived