The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Marijuana Legalization Bill Coming In Spring 2017

hsedin33

• 7 months later...

The task force Justin Trudeau's Liberal government appointed to study how marijuana could be legalized and regulated in Canada released its report Tuesday, offering over 80 recommendations.

Here are some highlights from the report:

Sales and marketing

• Set the minimum age of purchase as 18, respecting the rights of provinces and territories to harmonize with sales of alcohol.
  • Avoid selling alcohol and cannabis at the same location where possible: dedicated storefronts and direct mail are preferable.
  • Limit the density and location of storefronts, including their proximity to schools and parks.
  • Regulate retail sales at the provincial and territorial level.
  • Restrict the promotion and advertising of cannabis products, similar to restrictions now in place for tobacco.
  • Require plain packaging with company name, strain name, price, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) amounts and health warnings.
  • Prohibit any product deemed "appealing to children," including products that look like candy.

Taxation

• Establish pricing and taxation following an economic analysis.
  • Tax higher potency THC products at a higher rate to discourage purchase.
  • Use revenue from cannabis regulation for drug prevention, education and treatment.

Public consumption and possession

• Extend restrictions on public smoking of tobacco products and vaping to cannabis.
  • Allow and regulate dedicated places to consume cannabis products (lounges, for example.)
  • Limit public possession to 30 grams of dried, non-medical cannabis or its equivalent, with a corresponding sales limit.

Production and distribution

• Implement a system of licensed producers to grow cannabis in Canada.
  • Allow personal cultivation of up to four plants per residence, with a height limit of 100 cm.
  • Maintain medical marijuana access separately, with the same tax system as non-medical use.
  • Move swiftly to create capacity for producing and selling cannabis.

Public education and safety

• Begin public education strategy immediately.
  • Determine how to establish limits to prevent an increase in cannabis-impaired driving.

read full report here:

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/3237304/Framework-for-the-Legalization-and-Regulation-of.pdf

interesting stuff and times ahead.

i think the report is a great starting place....looking forward to the evolution.

24 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

The task force Justin Trudeau's Liberal government appointed to study how marijuana could be legalized and regulated in Canada released its report Tuesday, offering over 80 recommendations.

Here are some highlights from the report:

Sales and marketing

• Set the minimum age of purchase as 18, respecting the rights of provinces and territories to harmonize with sales of alcohol.
  • Avoid selling alcohol and cannabis at the same location where possible: dedicated storefronts and direct mail are preferable.
  • Limit the density and location of storefronts, including their proximity to schools and parks.
  • Regulate retail sales at the provincial and territorial level.
  • Restrict the promotion and advertising of cannabis products, similar to restrictions now in place for tobacco.
  • Require plain packaging with company name, strain name, price, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) amounts and health warnings.
  • Prohibit any product deemed "appealing to children," including products that look like candy.

Taxation

• Establish pricing and taxation following an economic analysis.
  • Tax higher potency THC products at a higher rate to discourage purchase.
  • Use revenue from cannabis regulation for drug prevention, education and treatment.

Public consumption and possession

• Extend restrictions on public smoking of tobacco products and vaping to cannabis.
  • Allow and regulate dedicated places to consume cannabis products (lounges, for example.)
  • Limit public possession to 30 grams of dried, non-medical cannabis or its equivalent, with a corresponding sales limit.

Production and distribution

• Implement a system of licensed producers to grow cannabis in Canada.
  • Allow personal cultivation of up to four plants per residence, with a height limit of 100 cm.
  • Maintain medical marijuana access separately, with the same tax system as non-medical use.
  • Move swiftly to create capacity for producing and selling cannabis.

Public education and safety

• Begin public education strategy immediately.
  • Determine how to establish limits to prevent an increase in cannabis-impaired driving.

read full report here:

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/3237304/Framework-for-the-Legalization-and-Regulation-of.pdf

interesting stuff and times ahead.

i think the report is a great starting place....looking forward to the evolution.

So happy to see this finally happening.

I don't expect it in my lifetime, but it would be nice if we did this for all drugs. Bye-bye Fentanyl problem! Oh well...baby steps and at least this starts us in the right direction.

I wonder why it's taking so long for it to be legalized.  I mean.... age 18-19+, that's easy enough.  Regulate it like alcohol/tobacco.... tax it similarly.  

But all these studies after studies, group consultations after group consultations..... how hard is it to just talk to experts from Colorado and Washington?

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I wonder why it's taking so long for it to be legalized.  I mean.... age 18-19+, that's easy enough.  Regulate it like alcohol/tobacco.... tax it similarly.  

But all these studies after studies, group consultations after group consultations..... how hard is it to just talk to experts from Colorado and Washington?

It took Colorado 2 years from when it was voted on by citizens to when the amendment was actually implemented. And this isn't just a state legalizing it, it's the whole country so I would expect it to take a little time. Can't just wave a wand.

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Patience grasshopper. You will spend far more of your life with legalized marijuana than illegal. Pretty sure the Canadians have talked to Washington and Colorado. IIRC, each state handles things differently, but maybe some one who knows can explain how it works in those states.

2 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

It took Colorado 2 years from when it was voted on by citizens to when the amendment was actually implemented. And this isn't just a state legalizing it, it's the whole country so I would expect it to take a little time. Can't just wave a wand.

31 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Patience grasshopper. You will spend far more of your life with legalized marijuana than illegal. Pretty sure the Canadians have talked to Washington and Colorado. IIRC, each state handles things differently, but maybe some one who knows can explain how it works in those states.

It just appears that they are more focused on the implementation of the changes, even though there really isn't much to it, than actual change.  The real issues are the treaties on the ban on drugs in place by the UN and how to deal with individuals charged with possession, trafficking, etc on marijuana previously.  

If they are worried about "how safe", then they are working backwards.  This is a simple process and I don't see why they are muddying it up with all those meetings and studies.  If anything, they should be hiring a team of lawyers and legal experts to make rules to make it legal.  

We all know they're gonna use some tobacco/alcohol hybrid law for marijuana.  The template is already available, they don't have to do the typical Canadian thing like trying to re-create a wheel and coming up with an oval.  

I never had and don't plan to smoke pot, but I just really dislike bureaucracy.... seems like Trudeau Jr. really want to appear to be getting things done, rather than actually getting things done.  

12 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

It will take time but finally it's here. Thought i would be dead before they legalized the green.

14 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It just appears that they are more focused on the implementation of the changes, even though there really isn't much to it, than actual change.  The real issues are the treaties on the ban on drugs in place by the UN and how to deal with individuals charged with possession, trafficking, etc on marijuana previously.  

If they are worried about "how safe", then they are working backwards.  This is a simple process and I don't see why they are muddying it up with all those meetings and studies.  If anything, they should be hiring a team of lawyers and legal experts to make rules to make it legal.  

We all know they're gonna use some tobacco/alcohol hybrid law for marijuana.  The template is already available, they don't have to do the typical Canadian thing like trying to re-create a wheel and coming up with an oval.  

I never had and don't plan to smoke pot, but I just really dislike bureaucracy.... seems like Trudeau Jr. really want to appear to be getting things done, rather than actually getting things done.  

Changing multi faceted and decades long laws, not to mention the issues with international treaties you brought up is not a simple process. And governments do not move quickly. Like ever.

They also need to make sure they get this pretty damn right or they'll be crucified politically. I don't begrudge them double and triple checking they've got every i dotted and t crossed.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Can this be done roadside ?

For me if pot is going to be legalized.....  i would need to see some kind of road side testing for it in place.....

Not sure if the test itself can be done roadside but they could collect the saliva sample and the driver's information to have a lab test the sample and ticket the driver later.

I think I saw a video on Facebook about some new device being worked on that would be able to provide instant test results for pot similar to a breathalyzer.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Not sure if the test itself can be done roadside but they could collect the saliva sample and the driver's information to have a lab test the sample and ticket the driver later.

I think I saw a video on Facebook about some new device being worked on that would be able to provide instant test results for pot similar to a breathalyzer.

OK thanks.

I am generally in favour of legalization as i think Taxing it, and controlling the THC  would be  good thing...  Just want to make sure it doesn't make our roads less safe.....

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Can this be done roadside ?

For me if pot is going to be legalized.....  i would need to see some kind of road side testing for it in place.....

Like he said you can do Saliva tests and you can also do urine testing. There is also a test called the Duquenois-Levine test, but it doesn't always yield a definitive result.

6 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Like he said you can do Saliva tests and you can also do urine testing. There is also a test called the Duquenois-Levine test, but it doesn't always yield a definitive result.

Are these tests reasonable to be used roadside ?

On 12/13/2016 at 3:29 PM, J.R. said:

So happy to see this finally happening.

I don't expect it in my lifetime, but it would be nice if we did this for all drugs. Bye-bye Fentanyl problem! Oh well...baby steps and at least this starts us in the right direction.

It should be treated as a health issue from the start, because it becomes one anyway. I'd like to see the creep cooks that make the stuff get a life sentence, and give the addicts the help they so clearly need with clean drugs for free until they are healthy. No industry that way. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:56 PM, Lancaster said:

I agree. It seems like these paradigm shifts in our ways of thinking always takes much longer than we would think.

In any event, it looks to be inevitable that it will happen and although it won't affect my life in any meaningful way, I believe it's a positive step and one that's long overdue.

Archived