The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Draft Needs

There are a few areas that the Canucks need to take care of through the next few drafts (2016, 2017, 2018). The upcoming draft would be a great place to start addressing these needs as the Canucks have finished low in the standings, and they have the privilege of picking high in each round, affording them the chance to predict rather than guess whether a player they may want will be there by the beginning of the next round. 

• They must address their need for smart/skilled defenders (ideally a #1 D) that will trend upward in their development path through the coming years (rather than develop low ideals that will deteriorate their thought processes and ability for high-percentage decision-making). 

Who the Canucks already have:

- Ben Hutton
- Nikita Tryamkin
- Troy Stecher
- Tate Olson
- Guillaume Brisebois
- Jordan Subban
- Evan McEneny
- Ashton Sautner
- Carl Neill

Great options at the 2016 NHL Draft:
- Jakob Chychrun
- Olli Juolevi
- Mikhail Sergachyov
- Dante Fabbro
- Jake Bean
- Charlie McAvoy
- Logan Stanley
- Lucas Johansen
- Samuel Girard
- Frederic Allard
- Cam Dineen
- Kale Clague
- Luke Green
- Adam Fox
- Matthew Cairns
- Andrew Peeke
- Jake Ryczek
- Stepan Falkovsky
- Jordan Sambrook
- Markus Niemalainen
- Riley Stillman
- Kristaps Zile (search up the Zile hit. Laugh or cry, I want to know your reaction)
- Ondrej Vala
- Dylan Coghlan
- Sean Day
- Lucas Carlsson
- Austin Osmanski
- Kristians Rubins
- Nikita Zhuldikov
- Tarmo Reunanen

2017 Draft Possibilities:

- Tim Liljegren
- Nicolas Hague

- Cal Foote
- Markus Phillips

- David Farrance

- Juuso Valimaki
- Urho Vaakanainen
- Max Gildon

• They must address their need for an elite, #1 center that will be able to step in for Henrik Sedin once their contracts are up. Not posting a list here, but the Canucks have Bo Horvat and Jared McCann as the frontrunners currently. Auston Matthews or Nolan Patrick would satisfy that need.

• They must address their lack of natural left wing talent, as well as left wingers who can make a difference in the bottom-6. Drake Caggiula would be a great start, and there are some great free agents out there. The Canucks need to keep picking up prospects through Free Agency to keep the competition high.

- Sven Baertschi
    - Brendan Gaunce
    - Ronalds Kenins
    - Ludwig Blomstrand

- Pierre-Luc Dubois
    - Matthew Tkachuk
    - Max Jones
    - Kieffer Bellows
    - Cam Morrison
    - Vitali Abramov
    - Riley Tufte
    - Boris Katchouk
    - Tyler Benson
    - Adam Mascherin
    - Simon Stransky
    - Beck Malenstyn
    - Matt Filipe
    - Mikhail Maltsev
    - Hudson Elynuik
    - Travis Barron
    - Carsen Twarynski
    - Tanner Kaspick
    - Givani Smith
    - Vincent De Mey
    - Luke Kirwan
    - Kasper Bjorkqvist

• The time is now for the Canucks to stock their cupboards and get ready for a youth movement. There are needs to be filled, and those will change with trades and lineup alterations.
    To keep the energy high with the flow of youth, the Canucks need to be on top of their system's depth needs as they change day by day, bringing in new kids to spark old habits ingrained in a team that made it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2011. 

Great post, +1. 

As somone who clearly has an exceptional understanding of the draft and this years draft class, what could you say about Dante Fabbro? Where is he expected to go? What do you think his ceiling is? Does he have any comparables? 

Cheers. :) 

Just now, Gstank29 said:

Personally I think Tufte would be a good option with our 33 pick. I think he will be available because he is a huge project

You think he'll be there in the second round?
I know there are a lot of teams interested in him. Florida and St. Louis for sure, maybe Detroit. I think he has the skillset to go in the first round, he's a really good player. 

Also, the combine; guys like him usually stand out there. We'll see afterwards, but I think he should be a first round pick.

Scratch Detroit nobody talks to them, including me. They don't let anything slip, which is why I'm speculating on the type of player they would be looking for. Not that prospect writers and hockey journalists aren't allowed to talk to Detroit management and staff, it's just they won't give you anything straight. "Big and smart" could mean any number of guys. 

9 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

Great post, +1. 

As somone who clearly has an exceptional understanding of the draft and this years draft class, what could you say about Dante Fabbro? Where is he expected to go? What do you think his ceiling is? Does he have any comparables? 

Cheers. :) 

One of the best D-men in the draft! Fabbro is a really special player, and I think he leads the tier right below Chychrun, Juo, and Serg.

8 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Scratch Detroit nobody talks to them, including me. They don't let anything slip, which is why I'm speculating on the type of player they would be looking for. Not that prospect writers and hockey journalists aren't allowed to talk to Detroit management and staff, it's just they won't give you anything straight. "Big and smart" could mean any number of guys. 

Personally I could see them taking Bellows if he's available. US development team kid who IMO is underrated at the moment, I think his shot is comparable to Boesers and he could have a similar type of freshman year (20-25 goals)

1 hour ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

There are a few areas that the Canucks need to take care of through the next few drafts (2016, 2017, 2018). The upcoming draft would be a great place to start addressing these needs as the Canucks have finished low in the standings, and they have the privilege of picking high in each round, affording them the chance to predict rather than guess whether a player they may want will be there by the beginning of the next round. 

• They must address their need for smart/skilled defenders (ideally a #1 D) that will trend upward in their development path through the coming years (rather than develop low ideals that will deteriorate their thought processes and ability for high-percentage decision-making). 

- Ben Hutton
- Nikita Tryamkin
- Troy Stecher
- Tate Olson
- Guillaume Brisebois
- Jordan Subban
- Evan McEneny
- Ashton Sautner
- Carl Neill

- Jakob Chychrun
- Olli Juolevi
- Mikhail Sergachyov
- Dante Fabbro
- Jake Bean
- Charlie McAvoy
- Logan Stanley
- Lucas Johansen
- Samuel Girard
- Frederic Allard
- Cam Dineen
- Kale Clague
- Luke Green
- Adam Fox
- Matthew Cairns
- Andrew Peeke
- Jake Ryczek
- Stepan Falkovsky
- Jordan Sambrook
- Markus Niemalainen
- Riley Stillman
- Kristaps Zile (search up the Zile hit. Laugh or cry, I want to know your reaction)
- Ondrej Vala
- Dylan Coghlan
- Sean Day
- Lucas Carlsson
- Austin Osmanski
- Kristians Rubins
- Nikita Zhuldikov
- Tarmo Reunanen

2017 Draft Possibilities:

- Tim Liljegren
- Nicolas Hague

- Cal Foote
- Markus Phillips

- David Farrance

- Juuso Valimaki
- Urho Vaakanainen
- Max Gildon

• They must address their need for an elite, #1 center that will be able to step in for Henrik Sedin once their contracts are up. Not posting a list here, but the Canucks have Bo Horvat and Jared McCann as the frontrunners currently. Auston Matthews or Nolan Patrick would satisfy that need.

• They must address their lack of natural left wing talent, as well as left wingers who can make a difference in the bottom-6. Drake Caggiula would be a great start, and there are some great free agents out there. The Canucks need to keep picking up prospects through Free Agency to keep the competition high.

- Sven Baertschi
    - Brendan Gaunce
    - Ronalds Kenins
    - Ludwig Blomstrand

- Pierre-Luc Dubois
    - Matthew Tkachuk
    - Max Jones
    - Kieffer Bellows
    - Cam Morrison
    - Vitali Abramov
    - Riley Tufte
    - Boris Katchouk
    - Tyler Benson
    - Adam Mascherin
    - Simon Stransky
    - Beck Malenstyn
    - Matt Filipe
    - Mikhail Maltsev
    - Hudson Elynuik
    - Travis Barron
    - Carsen Twarynski
    - Tanner Kaspick
    - Givani Smith
    - Vincent De Mey
    - Luke Kirwan
    - Kasper Bjorkqvist

• The time is now for the Canucks to stock their cupboards and get ready for a youth movement. There are needs to be filled, and those will change with trades and lineup alterations.
    To keep the energy high with the flow of youth, the Canucks need to be on top of their system's depth needs as they change day by day, bringing in new kids to spark old habits ingrained in a team that made it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2011. 

I have great faith that we're going to get the first overall, so......

I think where we are most likely to be picking (top 5), we should pick a forward. We don't have any 1RW (options are Puljujarvi or Laine) and we do need an elite offensive centerman to replace Henrik (options are Matthews or Dubois) in two years.

#1 D is always the concern but the uncertainty associated with projecting a defence prospect's future is a lot greater than the uncertainty associated with evaluating a forward prospect. There are exceptions of course, like Ekblad, Seth Jones, and Doughty. But the D prospects in this draft all have some weakness that they need to address and which one of them will be able to round out their game is a big unknown (basically you have to make a guess after 15-30 minute interview to see if they have the character required to pull through).

That's why I think it's not too bad if we address the forward needs first and then to try to address the defence needs in the 2nd round and beyond. We all know that so many great defenceman came out in the 2nd round and beyond in the past. Since JB is someone who does his homework on scouting, I'm sure JB will be able to find some great D prospects.

So what your saying is the Canucks have, and can get, good prospects but still need 2/3 of the main pieces to contend for a cup. A #1 centre and #1 Defender... both are extremely hard to get. Canucks have the goaltending and most of the other positions filled, so are they supposed to trade to get that #1 D and centre? Or are we in a three/four year bottom of the NHL rebuild?

Im hoping we win the lottery and get Laine or Mathews and then make a trade to get a future #1 Defenceman, such as Chychrun or Bean.

You don't fill organizational needs with 1 draft.  Because the next thing you know, in a couple of years, our needs will be the exact opposite.

Every draft year, for every team, there are surprises and busts.  Rarely does more than 1 or 2 players per draft makes an impact on a team.  So if we stock pile this draft on defense and LW and all end up busts, we'll still be thin at these positions and our depth in other position will also wear off.

I think the draft needs to be a balance of BPA and organizational need.  When obvious select BPA (or personal favorite), otherwise lean toward organizational need. 

Sometimes it's better to draft BPA, even in a strong position, and then use these assets in a trade to get better in another one.  See Jones vs. Johansen.

55 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

You don't fill organizational needs with 1 draft.  Because the next thing you know, in a couple of years, our needs will be the exact opposite.

Every draft year, for every team, there are surprises and busts.  Rarely does more than 1 or 2 players per draft makes an impact on a team.  So if we stock pile this draft on defense and LW and all end up busts, we'll still be thin at these positions and our depth in other position will also wear off.

I think the draft needs to be a balance of BPA and organizational need.  When obvious select BPA (or personal favorite), otherwise lean toward organizational need. 

Sometimes it's better to draft BPA, even in a strong position, and then use these assets in a trade to get better in another one.  See Jones vs. Johansen.

Well said. I agree with everything you said, especially the bolder part.

Regardless of where we pick, in whatever round, we have to pick players that have the better upside. If we go in the draft with strictly a 'pick based on organizational need' perspective we will miss on some good high potential players. 

-------------

Heres my opinion on several players in this upcoming draft:

1) I wouldn't pick Sean Day, even if he was offered to us for free. For some strange reason he was given exceptional status couple of years ago for his 'elite package' of tools however since then he has continued to free fall in the rankings not exactly trending in the preferred direction. Imo he carries a losing aura with him and as enticing as that "elite package" seems on the first look, he's not a player that oozes confidence or one that makes his teammates better.

Eliteprospect.com has this to say: Mobile defencemen, elite level skill package. His consistency and enthusiasm exhibited at the games defining moments does seem to wane and the pressure felt impacts his decision making..

^ yeah no thanks.. 

2) No mention of Julien Gauthier? 6.1" 220 RW, plays bullish style of game and has good scoring touch. He's one of those players that raises his level of compete at the most critical moments.

Eliteprospects has this to say: An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic. Tremendous vision and outstanding hockey sense; thrives under pressure and doesn't stray from the high-percentage play. Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments. Exceptional skating ability allows him to stay with, if not ahead, of each unfolding play. Refined puckhandling skills allow him to maintain puck control at breakneck speeds. All-in-all, a prolific scorer whose attitude and innate abilities will constantly propel him into dominance. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) Julien Gauthier has drawn well-deserved comparisons to current NHLer Rick Nash. He has an imposing frame, dazzling puck skills, and the drive to win. Learns from his past mistakes and implements new strategies to counteract them. [EliteProspects 2016] 

^ yes please. If he's available when we pick in 2nd round this ones a no brainer.

3) Logan Stanley is a solid option if available in the second. Big lanky d- man mobile, positionally sound, reads and anticipates plays well.

4) Mathew Phillips of Victoria Royals is a highly skilled yet diminutive Cman standing at 5'7 160lb. He was Initially unranked by the draft midterm rankings, now he sits at#88. 76pts in 72 games this season, and a catalyst of the Vic Royale offence.

Cam Morrison is having a great showing at U18 and a great PF option if available at #33. 

Seriously don't see Stanley falling but he is my first option if he does. 

Mascherin is a small tank much like Domi and has a motor that doesn't seem to quit. 

Raddysh is having a great playoff and I noticed he slipped out of ISS top 30. Although a RW, he doesn't solve positional needs in regards that we have needs in other areas but if BPA aspect, I'm happy.

Too bad we couldn't package the #33 and move into the first

Sucks that we can't get the CBJ 2nd and be selecting #34

Archived