The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Draft Needs

17 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would trade Hansen to any team that picks in the top 15 to get another first rounder this year.

The Canucks could really get 3 quality prospects this draft with their own 1st rounder plus another teams' 1st by trading their best trade bait in Hansen.

Plus they got a high lick at the top of the 2nd round.

That's 3 potential impact NHL players who should have potential to be top 6 forwards and top 4 D men.

To me it's a no brainer to trade Hansen at his peak value coming off a Career year.

This could really speed the rebuild up a little with 3 picks inside the top 60.

Unfortunately Hansen, although a good all around player, does not equal a first round pick. Not even a 2nd. I think as good as he is for us, we wouldn't get more than a 3rd round pick for him on the open market. The return just wouldn't be worth it. I believe he is more valuable to us than a 3rd. Better to keep him and have him provide us with those intangibles and leadership by example for the youth movement than to have an extra 3rd round pick IMO.

On April 21, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Chip Kelly said:

I like Puljujarvi because he is an elite passer and playmaker. He has excellent vision he reminds of a wing version of Joe Thornton, Jamie Benn, and Ryan Getzlaf.

Only thing is he seems to lack Laine's aggressiveness and blistering shot.

Puljujarvi has somehow become underrated since the WJCs, which baffles me.
I watched Finland closely and was blown away by Laine (and would love him on our team), but it was Puljujarvi that was the obvious leader of the team and the guy that initiated nearly every play. He's so big, so fast, but has the ability to slow down and assess while handling the puck - he starts the rush almost like a defenceman. 

Such a tough draft this year because all three guys are big, strong, and skilled. It would be different if one guy was 5'11 180, but they're all 6'2+ and 200lbs and all bring different elements. Based on what the CANUCKS need, it's Matthews. He's the number 1 because he's that confident centre and has elite ability to strike when he sees a path to the net. But Laine is almost like an Ovechkin, he wants the puck, but also wants to be the LAST guy to touch it. When he's fired up, he's the most dangerous player in this draft class. Puljujarvi creates the play, and out of the three guys he's the one that will make his teammates better. I personally feel if Puljujarvi had a better wrist shot or played a little meaner, he'd the be consensus number 1, because he's got the most heart of the bunch. The way he flies around the ice and gives his all on every play weirdly reminds me of Nathan Mackinnon, somebody who drove himself into elite territory through sheer passion for the game.

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

No I'm not saying they would. Saying if they did I would not hesitate top 20 either.  Hansen would look nice on a contender  though.

Yeah he would look nice, as a third line player. But the best the Canucks could hope for would be a late 2nd round pick, which is far more realistic than a first round pick.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:20 AM, Chip Kelly said:

I would trade Hansen to any team that picks in the top 15 to get another first rounder this year.

The Canucks could really get 3 quality prospects this draft with their own 1st rounder plus another teams' 1st by trading their best trade bait in Hansen.

That's 3 potential impact NHL players who should have potential to be top 6 forwards and top 4 D men.

To me it's a no brainer to trade Hansen at his peak value coming off a Career year.

I'm on record happy to trade down if we are not getting any of the elite 3? That makes two guys if we can spin it.

I'm not convinced we could get a first for Hansen. Maybe at the next deadline if he has continued to play well. However I admit, If we can get a first for Hansen, certainly a top 15 pick I suppose I would do it. 

But I don't see trading Hansen for a second or scraps. He helps the team significantly in many ways. I do believe he more so (much more) than the Twins, is the single best guy for young players. Starting with marginal NHL skills outside his speed he has become a good player. He is one of the best conditioned, strongest athletes pound for pound. He fore checks like a hound. Back checks. Wins puck battles. Has taught himself to pass, positioning, how to set up plays, when to cheat? Developed a wicked shot. How many pucks has he stolen then blown past defenders up ice for breakaway goals. He blocks shots. He gets in involved, even has the odd scrap in scrums. The guy shows rookies, on every shift, including in practice, how to use their tenacity to win the shift in any way possible.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:20 PM, Chip Kelly said:

If the Canucks could get a top 15 pick for Hanson they would have to do it IMHO. The question is more whether they could find a team who would make that deal. Might get a bigger return by moving him at the TDL next spring. The risk is that he does not maintain is ppg. I thought he had a strong showing at Worlds and Denmark played well.  

21 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If the Canucks could get a top 15 pick for Hanson they would have to do it IMHO. The question is more whether they could find a team who would make that deal. Might get a bigger return by moving him at the TDL next spring. The risk is that he does not maintain is ppg. I thought he had a strong showing at Worlds and Denmark played well.  

They absolutely won't get a top 15 pick for him. As a Canucks and Jets fan, I would be very disappointed if the Jets traded their 22nd overall or 36th overall pick to Vancouver for Hansen.

Any team doing that trade would be in losing big time.

38 minutes ago, Monty said:

They absolutely won't get a top 15 pick for him. As a Canucks and Jets fan, I would be very disappointed if the Jets traded their 22nd overall or 36th overall pick to Vancouver for Hansen.

Any team doing that trade would be in losing big time.

While I agree that a pick in the top half of the first round is way too far a reach, suggesting that the Canucks can't get a high 2nd for him also seems silly.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

While I agree that a pick in the top half of the first round is way too far a reach, suggesting that the Canucks can't get a high 2nd for him also seems silly.

Unless that team is a Cup contender (ie. 3 playoff rounds deep team) and acquired a high second round pick to trade, I don't see any team that is rebuilding through the draft to give up a valuable high second round pick for Hansen. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like Hansen. But on a very good team, he'd be used on the 3rd line. And very good teams don't have high second round picks. Assuming he would waive and the Canucks would even want to move him, I would think the Canucks would be receiving a pick in the mid/late second round.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Unless that team is a Cup contender (ie. 3 playoff rounds deep team) and acquired a high second round pick to trade, I don't see any team that is rebuilding through the draft to give up a valuable high second round pick for Hansen. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like Hansen. But on a very good team, he'd be used on the 3rd line. And very good teams don't have high second round picks. Assuming he would waive and the Canucks would even want to move him, I would think the Canucks would be receiving a pick in the mid/late second round.

Going into the draft I agree with you. That is why I suggested that he might be moved at the TDL. For a CUP contending team Hanson would be worth a bottom half 1st Rounder. Of course it would mean his producing as strong a year as last to get that return. The thing about Hanson is his all around game but most important is his skating. Players who can keep his pace have longer careers.

On April 25, 2016 at 8:29 AM, nergish said:

Puljujarvi has somehow become underrated since the WJCs, which baffles me.
I watched Finland closely and was blown away by Laine (and would love him on our team), but it was Puljujarvi that was the obvious leader of the team and the guy that initiated nearly every play. He's so big, so fast, but has the ability to slow down and assess while handling the puck - he starts the rush almost like a defenceman. 

Such a tough draft this year because all three guys are big, strong, and skilled. It would be different if one guy was 5'11 180, but they're all 6'2+ and 200lbs and all bring different elements. Based on what the CANUCKS need, it's Matthews. He's the number 1 because he's that confident centre and has elite ability to strike when he sees a path to the net. But Laine is almost like an Ovechkin, he wants the puck, but also wants to be the LAST guy to touch it. When he's fired up, he's the most dangerous player in this draft class. Puljujarvi creates the play, and out of the three guys he's the one that will make his teammates better. I personally feel if Puljujarvi had a better wrist shot or played a little meaner, he'd the be consensus number 1, because he's got the most heart of the bunch. The way he flies around the ice and gives his all on every play weirdly reminds me of Nathan Mackinnon, somebody who drove himself into elite territory through sheer passion for the game.

Puljujarvi is like Linden, only better. Will be an awesome playoff performer.  Torts is gonna love him. He might not get the most goals or points but in 6-7 years he might go down as the best player in this draft.  Too bad Columbus traded Johansen. Saad, Johansen, Puljujarvi would have been an incredible first line. 

Archived