The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Laine vs Auston Matthews

Auston Matthews Vs Patrik Laine   

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

A part of me really doesn't want to have to make the decision between Matthews and Laine and would like to see us pick #2, so we don't have to make that decision :)

This would leave us with an even tougher decision to make: 

Laine or Puljujarvi :P

On April 21, 2016 at 9:14 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The only comparable Laine has to ovi is his shot, he's not very fast and has slow foot speed,  He also doesn't hit that often, although he is hard to knock off the puck.  Ovi's is the opposite, fast, shot, and lays big hits.  Ovi is not a comparable to Laine.

Laine has the better shot (comparable to ovi's wrister) but that's about it.  

Matthews also has a shot (comparable to sakic's wrister)  Matthews has speed, Matthews has size, Matthews has the IQ, Matthews has compete, Matthews has a 2 way game. Matthews is a center. Matthews is by far the better player. 

But every year people try to make this debate.. Same thing happened with Eichel and Mcdavid,  Ekblad and the Sam's.  It's only cause is to create more hype for the draft, but when the 1st team goes up to the podium we all know which player is going to be selected first overall. 

That's abouf it with Laine? He also has sneaky hands and a very long reach.

On April 21, 2016 at 3:14 PM, BI3KSA- said:

IMO there is a better chance Matthews gets 60 pts in his first season than 60 pts being his career ceiling. In fact, I'd put money on that. What makes you think that will be his ceiling? 

Another person who agrees with me about Matthews potential. He could easily be another Stefan IMO 

On April 21, 2016 at 7:32 AM, AriGold said:

In terms of what his production will be, IMO he will hit 60 as a ceiling and float around there for his career.

Dont get me wrong Dustin Brown is effective (used to be) but Laine has more flash and has a higher celing of 80+ IMO.

Once again, just my opinion..

Somebody else gets me on Matthews potential, like I said before I think Matthews could easily be another Stefan.

And now I'm seeing more and more people doubting that Matthews will be an 80 point guy even let alone people act like he's a 100 point guy. Laine is the No.1 no questions asked. 

Another good read from a teammate perspective:

TORONTO — Nick Plastino was technically having lunch when his phone rang. Based on how late he was up the previous night, it was more like a belated breakfast.

Many, many hours earlier, the Canadian-born defenceman had won the Finnish league championship with Tappara Tampere, which kicked off a crazy night of partying on the ice, partying in the dressing room, partying with thousands of fans in the city square and then busing over to a nearby hotel, where coaches, management and anyone else who happened to be hanging around piled into a giant sauna with beers.

“It’s a Finnish thing,” laughed Plastino, who was born in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. “There’s no better country to party in.”

The party was possible only because of Patrik Laine.

The teenaged forward, who only turned 18 last week, scored the game’s first goal in the 2-1 win against HIFK in Game 6 on Tuesday night and finished the playoffs with 10 goals and 15 points in 18 games.

“He was an absolute monster,” Plastino said of Laine, who won the Jari Kurri Trophy as playoff MVP. “He was definitely the best player on the ice. He’s just unbelievable. Any team would love to have him.”

The focus of this Saturday’s NHL Draft Lottery will be on American-born centre Auston Matthews, the consensus top prospect available.

But because there is a lottery this year for the first three picks, there are three chances of winning. And with Laine and fellow Finnish forward Jesse Puljujarvi rounding out the top-3, the teams that are lucky enough to pick second and third are getting more than consolation prizes.

Roni Rekomaa/Lehtikuva via AP
Roni Rekomaa/Lehtikuva via APOne scout for a non-playoff team said he would pick Patrik Laine ahead of Auston Matthews. Another scout said the gap between the top three players is so slim that it might be easier to pick second because you don’t “have to make a choice that you’ll regret.”

One scout for a non-playoff team said he would pick Laine ahead of Matthews. Another scout said the gap between the top three players is so slim that it might be easier to pick second because you don’t “have to make a choice that you’ll regret.”

“It used to be if you didn’t get Matthews at No. 1, you would consider moving down to fourth or fifth,” said Mark Seidel, chief scout with North American Central Scouting. “But now it’s those three and then there’s a pretty good gap after that. You’re guaranteed a really good player in the top-3.”

At the start of the season, few had heard of Laine or Puljujarvi — fewer could pronounce or spell their names — partly because both were playing in Finland. But the other reason is that, especially in the case of Laine, his game has evolved significantly in the last four or five months.

“At first, to be honest, he didn’t stand out to me,” Plastino said of Laine, who finished the regular season with 17 goals and 33 points in 46 games.

“I didn’t know anything about him and he just looked like a young kid. But during the season he definitely showed signs of being a special player.”

The real turning point came at the world junior championship in Helsinki, where Puljujarvi and Laine finished first and third in scoring en route to leading Finland to a gold medal. Since then, both have taken their games to the next level, with Laine winning a league championship and Puljujarvi guiding Finland to the under-18 world championship last week.

Markku Ulander/Lehtikuva via AP
Markku Ulander/Lehtikuva via APUnlike Auston Matthews — who went without a point in the final two games and failed to advance the U.S. past Russia in the world junior semifinals, and whose club team was upset in the first round of the Swiss playoffs — Patrik Laine has only beefed up his resumé as a big-game player.

“He definitely turned a corner with that junior tournament,” Plastino said of Laine. “You could just see it with his play. He was braver with the puck. He wanted to make plays rather than just dump it in. He trusted his abilities more.”

Unlike Matthews — who went without a point in the final two games and failed to advance the U.S. past Russia in the world junior semifinals, and whose club team was upset in the first round of the Swiss playoffs — Laine and Puljujarvi have beefed up their resumés as big-game players.

“I go back to Game 5 of the second round against Karpat,” said Plastino. “They scored with three minutes left in the game and we got a power play and, with a minute left, (Laine) got the puck on the half wall and he found the corner. It was just amazing. He’s the kind of guy that can change the game with his shot. On the power play, we were pretty much told to give him the puck and let him do the rest.”

It is that shot, coupled with blazing speed and a towering six-foot-three frame, which makes Laine such a tantalizing prospect.

The NHL has become a shooter’s league. And while Matthews plays a desirable position at centre and Puljujarvi is described as a two-way forward that Plastino said “has that vision where he can find a guy backdoor,” there is no substitute for scoring.

“Laine, in my opinion, has far better skill,” said Plastino. “He’s a lot like Ilya Kovalchuk in that regard. He can hit hard, can shoot hard, can really do it all. He takes over games.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/he-takes-over-games-patrik-laine-not-auston-matthews-might-be-nhl-drafts-true-no-1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2016 at 10:42 AM, Drakrami said:

I think Laine will turn out to be better than Matthews. But Matthews will go #1 because he is the safer pick. 

safer pick??? Laine and Matthews are both safe picks!I would take Laine if it were me for us as we need a scoring winger more then another center!

11 hours ago, cripplereh said:

safer pick??? Laine and Matthews are both safe picks!I would take Laine if it were me for us as we need a scoring winger more then another center!

I may not be as knowledgeable in this area, but assuming they were in that position, would it not be smarter for Vancouver to draft Matthews so he could replace Henrik (when he eventually retires)?

I think top line wingers are easy to find in comparison to top line centers.

17 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Laine is now struggling against better competition (very poor and benched for third against USA). Matthews is by far the safer pick.  Heck Puliarvi might be a safer pick?  Laine has the highest ceiling though

19 hours ago, cripplereh said:

You say that as if we already have a top line center lined up. We need a #1 center, in the worst way.

The Leafs have Nylander and Marner not to mention Kadri chugging along at center, and Laine would look brilliant alongside any of those small centers.

That being said, if they draft Matthews and force Nylander to the wing with Marner at 2C and Kadri at 3C, their depth is second to none down the middle. They need size and they'll get it in the form of Matthews or Laine. Either way that's a killer future 1st line.

If Laine ends up going to Winnipeg to play alongside Ehlers (with say Sheiffele at center) then there's another deadly future 1st line.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The Leafs have Nylander and Marner not to mention Kadri chugging along at center, and Laine would look brilliant alongside any of those small centers.

That being said, if they draft Matthews and force Nylander to the wing with Marner at 2C and Kadri at 3C, their depth is second to none down the middle. They need size and they'll get it in the form of Matthews or Laine. Either way that's a killer future 1st line.

If Laine ends up going to Winnipeg to play alongside Ehlers (with say Sheiffele at center) then there's another deadly future 1st line.

Marner can play center but will most likely be a winger. RW is the position where he is best at. Nylander has played more at center so he seems like the logical choice to be the 2C.

I love how hard TSN is working to pump up Matthews. If it was any other teams prospect you wouldn't see half the stories on him at the Worlds.

The funny thing is Laine is looking like the better player and outperforming him. I'm sure Jets fans wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about Laine. But that's the Toronto Sports Network for you.

On 5/11/2016 at 8:32 AM, nowhereman said:

You say that as if we already have a top line center lined up. We need a #1 center, in the worst way.

well for many saying we need a 1st line center,answer is this trade for one or let McCann go back to the minors for a year and year after play again in the NHL and I think he will be a first liner in the future!

Archived