The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bring Back The North Stars petition

If you or anyone you know is/was a passionate fan of the Minnesota North Stars before their untimely move to Dallas and have mourned their departure ever since, here is your opportunity to try and revive one of professional sports' beautiful brands. An ongoing petition was set up earlier this week:

https://www.change.org/p/national-hockey-league-bring-the-north-stars-name-and-history-back-to-minnesota?recruiter=21874203&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_for_starters-reason_msg

Teams like the NBA Charlotte Bobcats were able to get the traditional Hornets name and history back. Why not the Minnesota Wild, who have the worst team name in sports? Major League Baseball has both the Red Sox and the White Sox. Why not have both the Stars and the North Stars? 

There are defunct sports franchises that should remain in the past. Others like the North Stars, Expos and the SuperSonics along with their long-time passionate fans, deserve "the Cleveland Browns/Charlotte Hornets treatment". Just imagine if we had lost the Canucks and our replacement franchise was called the "Strong"?

As great hockey fans, let's help and support Minnesota's long-time great fans by getting one of professional sports' great team names, iconic N* crest, beautiful colours of green and gold and their '67-'93 history back.

Many cheers! :)

3 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I would rather not help out Minnesota, they ruined the West Coast Era with their boring play and ugly jerseys. 

Thanks for posting though!

Actually I think what ruined that era was Dan Cloutier not being able to stop a beachball after Bertuzzi publicly made an ass of himself by telling Minnesota not to buy tickets for game 6.

I don't particularly care in this context. When they moved to Dallas, the newer incarnation didn't shed the previous team's identity per se, and they didn't unretire any of the numbers that Minnesota put in the rafters (unlike Colorado and Carolina that ditched everything, name/history and all.)

I'm sure it sucks for fans when they moved, but not only would having both the North Stars and the Stars in the same league/conference/division be confusing, there's no real equivalence with past examples. With the Bobcats/Hornets thing, it was the right thing to do, and it came on the heels of New Orleans franchise vanquishing the Hornets identity in some misguided effort to rebrand themselves as the Pelicans, leaving the name open in the realm of a brand or team identity. The Bobcats were a bad franchise, with a bad brand, that they were lucky to be gifted that back, something that they themselves actually needed.

If anything, the team in Minnesota have carved out a pretty decent identity for themselves as the Wild over the last decade and a half. Why not keep it. Hell, the Dallas Stars have been the Dallas Stars for almost exactly as long as the North Stars were even in Minnesota at all.

This would have been like fans of the Minnesota Timberwolves demanding that the team in Los Angeles give up the rights to being the Lakers. They have no reason to, nor should they. 

1 hour ago, g_bassi13 said:

I'm sure it sucks for fans when they moved, but not only would having both the North Stars and the Stars in the same league/conference/division be confusing, there's no real equivalence with past examples.

Is this any more confusing than the "Blues" and "Blue Jackets" in the same division?

Anyways I won't sign it, I hate Wild fans.

36 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Is this any more confusing than the "Blues" and "Blue Jackets" in the same division?

Anyways I won't sign it, I hate Wild fans.

It's nonsensical, when the Stars were entirely derived from the North Stars. Just dropping the geographical association to Minnesota and it conveniently fitting well with their new location in Texas. Even the team colours were only roughly modified in the move. Having a team reclaiming an identity from a team that never really dropped it is an issue. Even if Minnesota were the original "Stars", they would end up appearing as the dopplegangers in a needless, conflated situation.

It's less like the Blues and the Blue Jackets with no history, and more like having a situation where a new Winnipeg team began existing in a world where the team in Phoenix just modified their name to the "Sonic Jets". A new Winnipeg team calling for the Jets name in such a context would have been weird. And this is on top of the Wild already existing for a decade and a half as their own entity, like I mentioned before. I just see no reason, and I'm sure most Wild fans feel the same.

I'd be all for supporting it if the context made more sense, Minnesota fans or not. Like if a potential Quebec team wanted to come back as the Nordiques, I'd be all over wanting to make that happen.

If you go to the Wild Forums they have this thread dedicated to The Canucks it's called "Vancouver Canucks 40 years of Failure" reading through that read made me realize Wild fans are the 2nd worst fans in the league ( the first being Bruins fans of course).

4 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Actually I think what ruined that era was Dan Cloutier not being able to stop a beachball after Bertuzzi publicly made an ass of himself by telling Minnesota not to buy tickets for game 6.

The wild and the devils were the icons of the "dead puck era".... that West Coast Express Era played beauty hockey, the talent of Bert and Nazzy, Jovo, Morrison brought back excitement to Vancouver. Instead a bunch of plugs playing the trap and hooking their way to success derailed some of these offensive minded teams. No offensive talent just sit back and wait, boring hockey and ruined the 90's NHL. If you could win with cheap grinders, why bother to entertain the fans...

yes Cloutier let in that goal versus detroit, but that 2nd round series versus the Wild essentially killed our hopes of contending with this team. Up 3-1, we had it in the bag, but Canuck luck played a factor as it always does. 

I wouldnt blame Bert, he was an athlete in the prime of his career, if he didnt believe that then he shouldn't be playing pro. That backhand roof move he had was timeless, what great hands for a big man. 

Either way, who the heck posts on a Canuck forum to help out one of our division rivals? lol

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If you go to the Wild Forums they have this thread dedicated to The Canucks it's called "Vancouver Canucks 40 years of Failure" reading through that read made me realize Wild fans are the 2nd worst fans in the league ( the first being Bruins fans of course).

It's funny how their fans have this hate on us.  We see them more as an annoying mosquito than a anything. 

Despite no cups, I'd take our teams history over theirs in a heartbeat.

I guess that thread us like that Blackhawks have bad asset management we have here...:lol:

7 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Why not the Minnesota Wild, who have the worst team name in sports?

Worst?  OK, it's not great, but how about the Utah Jazz?  Or the Phillies, Browns or Pelicans?  I would list those ones ahead of the Wild on the bad team name list.

Still, as for changing the Wild back to the North Stars, I'm all for it.  However... didn't Minnesota themselves drop the 'North' a few years before moving to Dallas?

Winnipeg was able to get the Jets name back because the NHL owned the Phoenix Coyotes organization for a while.  The NHL relinquished the rights to the Jets name to the ownership of the Winnipeg organization paving the way for the Winnipeg Jets team name to return.

If Quebec gets a team, I would think that they would not be able to name the team the Nordiques unless they work out a deal with the NHL and Colorado Avalanche.

Archived