The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft Lotto

Inge34

Would be so simple for the NHL. Just allow a rep from each lottery team in the room to ensure no funny business takes place and remove any doubt.  With all the secrecy and the crookedness of the NHL, it's unreasonable to expect an average person to trust the league.

Just now, King Heffy said:

The problem with a video is the NHL can just redo it until they get the desired result. 

You really think that all the teams there will allow that? Not to mention the accounting firm that actually runs the simulation that has to worry about its reputation. The draft isn't rigged so everyone can stop worryin so much.

I just ran the simulator and the Canucks got top three pick, 24 out of 51 tries (nearly 50percent) and 11 out of those 24 times

being the first overall pick (nearly 50 percent), for the most first overall selections out of any team going to the Canucks.

In other words,

It really is a toss-up and we just have to hope that luck is on our side during lottery day.

You have run the simulator 51 times.

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
Top 3

Vancouver Canucks

Toronto Maple Leafs

Edmonton Oilers

I posted this in the other thread that got locked:

The lottery is NOT rigged. It's a fun theory but in real life the NHL is a multi-billion dollar industry and one of the biggest sports leagues in North America. Yes, the officiating and suspensions that the NHL hand out are a joke but the draft lottery is serious business. Your favourite team not winning does not mean that it is rigged.

If anyone actually read the Sportsnet article that Hutton Wink linked at the top of this thread you would have read that the NHL hired Ernst and Young to supervise the lottery. Ernst and Young is one of the Big 4 Accounting firms in the world and they have a reputation to protect as well. Nothing shady will be happening under their watch. Also, each team has one rep inside the room to ensure that everyone goes smoothly.

Besides, if the lottery was rigged the NHL would have jumped at the chance to give McDavid to Arizona last year...I don't think any owner in the league is happy that Edmonton won the lottery (aside from Katz) and unhappy owners means an unhappy Bettman. That was probably the worst possible result for the NHL last year.

Link to the article here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2016-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-simulator-auston-matthews-maple-leafs-oilers-toronto-april-30/

Just now, Dancin'Droid said:

You really think that all the teams there will allow that? Not to mention the accounting firm that actually runs the simulation that has to worry about its reputation. The draft isn't rigged so everyone can stop worryin so much.

I'm saying that if I was running a team I'd want a witness there on my payroll  Given the NHL's misconduct, it's naive to say the draft isn't rigged.  You really think a criminal organization like the NHL is above bribing one of Bettman's cronies to cook the books?

Via NHL.com regarding last years draft:

In coordination with the League, the results of the NHL Draft Lottery will be revealed in a live television broadcast on CBC and TVA in Canada and on NBC in the U.S. Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET, leading up to the networks' broadcast of Game 2 of the First Round series between the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins.

The team winning the draw will secure the right to the first overall selection in the 2015 NHL Draft. Each of the 14 Clubs is eligible to win the first overall pick. The remaining 13 teams will be slotted in reverse order based on their regular season point totals. The drawing determines the order for the first round only. For all subsequent rounds, the order reverts to the original order of regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs results.

Based on team finish, the percentage chance of being selected in the 2015 Draft Lottery is:

Team Odds of Winning Lottery
1. Buffalo Sabres 20.0%
2. Arizona Coyotes 13.5%
3. Edmonton Oilers 11.5%
4. Toronto Maple Leafs 9.5%
5. Carolina Hurricanes 8.5%
6. New Jersey Devils 7.5%
7. Philadelphia Flyers 6.5%
8. Columbus Blue Jackets 6.0%
9. San Jose Sharks 5.0%
10. Colorado Avalanche 3.5%
11. Florida Panthers 3.0%
12. Dallas Stars 2.5%
13. Los Angeles Kings 2.0%
14. Boston Bruins 1.0%

To determine the winner, the official lottery machine is loaded with 14 balls, each bearing one number, 1 to 14. The NHL Draft Lottery involves drawing one set of four numbers from the machine. One ball is expelled from the machine at a ten-second interval until four balls are discharged.

Without regard to the order the numbers are drawn, there are exactly 1,001 four-number combinations. Each of the 14 teams in the NHL Draft Lottery is assigned the number of combinations corresponding to the odds allocated to them by their regular-season finish (i.e., the team given a 20% chance to win the NHL Draft Lottery is represented by 200 of the 1,001 possible combinations, the team with a 13.5% chance is assigned 135 combinations, and so forth). One combination (11, 12, 13, 14) has been designated as a "re-draw," allowing for the division of exactly 1,000 combinations proportionately.

All number combinations are assigned to teams at random by Bortz & Company.

The video of the actual lottery drawing will be available on NHL.com after the reveal.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm saying that if I was running a team I'd want a witness there on my payroll  Given the NHL's misconduct, it's naive to say the draft isn't rigged.  You really think a criminal organization like the NHL is above bribing one of Bettman's cronies to cook the books?

They all do have a representative there, did you even watch the video I linked?

Benning didn't seem to know how it worked when he was probed about it yesterday. Linden will be our rep, but as he understands it the drawing happens behind closed doors. I think they need as much transparency as possible. Have lawyers present, draw on the live feed. If it is balls, they I assume they're using 200, with all the .5 values representing 1 ball. If it's 14 balls, but weighted accordingly I would have issue with that. 

I don't know, as long as it's a live feed and the league is kept in check. 

You guys do know they can rig the lottery balls right?

All they have to do is change the size of the ball by the slightest measurement (1mm or less) and it would impact which balls come up. They could also manipulate the weight of the balls to accomplish their goal. Since they used a number combination and not the logo for each team, it makes it much easier to rig.

IMO, they should use each team's logo for the ball draw to at least remove some doubt.

Archived