The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Garteig | G

thejazz97

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

If Demko is moved up to backup Markstrom in his second professional season before ever even becoming a starter in the AHL his development would be ruined forever.  I don't think even Benning is that crazy.  Not a chance in you know where that Demko will be a NHL backup next season. 

The problem for Vancouver will be that they don't have anyone else to backup Markstrom if Miller doesn't resign. The Canucks goaltending depth is not that great and while it would definitely be beneficial for Demko's development to spend next year as the starter in Utica I can see him being rushed to fill that hole.

1 hour ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

The problem for Vancouver will be that they don't have anyone else to backup Markstrom if Miller doesn't resign. The Canucks goaltending depth is not that great and while it would definitely be beneficial for Demko's development to spend next year as the starter in Utica I can see him being rushed to fill that hole.

I don't think next year having Markstrom start full time is entirely a bad thing if it's the final year of a retool.  At least it would be an outward if silent admission that this team will succeed or fail based on  their internal structure as opposed to endless lip service about how playoffs are the goal.

2 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Recall Bachman to VAN, Garteig to Utica.

2 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

There are always NHL backup goalies available on the free agent market.  If Miller doesn't resign Benning will go that route.  Demko is not ready for the NHL. 

9 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

There are always affordable backups in the summer. 

• 4 months later...

Most NHL teams have 5 goalies in the system with 4 on NHL deals and one on an AHL contract who gets assigned to the ECHL to be available as a call up to the AHL if one of the top four get injured.  It's unusual to have 5 goalies on NHL contracts when a team only has 50 available.  I could see them trying to get Garteig to sign an AHL contract and have him fill the same role as last season or sign an undrafted college or junior goalie to an AHL contract.  

57 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Not qualified for some reason, is what I have heard. Don't quote me

he's now listed as a UFA on cap friendly, so yup not qualified. I guess the Canucks could be waiting to find a new ECHL affiliate since the Aces are toast? 

Archived