Sign in to follow this  
thejazz97

Michael Garteig | G

11 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Is it just me or is Jimbo dominating the signing of college players?

One more to go and he's got a perfect streak going 4 for 4

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Another top goalie of the NCAA. Went 32-4-7 last year with a save of 924 and 1.91GAA. 24 years old and from Prince George. Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why we need another goalies prospect with the current line up pretty solid with Miller to Marky. Marky to Demko. I guess just to have a solid prospect tandem in Utica to push Demko. 

Regardless,  fantastic job Benning. Another solid prospect picked up for the cost of a handshake. Not sure where he would fit it long term, but stoked to see a local top prospect come back to BC. 

Gotta hand it to Benning so far, he's on fire early this off season. If he keeps the momentum going... I won't jynx it... 

IMO we can never have enough goaltender. Look at the future. Do you see Miller staying around after next season. Backstom was only insurance. I can't see him being here for next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Another top goalie of the NCAA. Went 32-4-7 last year with a save of 924 and 1.91GAA. 24 years old and from Prince George. Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why we need another goalies prospect with the current line up pretty solid with Miller to Marky. Marky to Demko. I guess just to have a solid prospect tandem in Utica to push Demko. 

Regardless,  fantastic job Benning. Another solid prospect picked up for the cost of a handshake. Not sure where he would fit it long term, but stoked to see a local top prospect come back to BC. 

Gotta hand it to Benning so far, he's on fire early this off season. If he keeps the momentum going... I won't jynx it... 

You can never have enough good goaltending, and Utica is going to be out of goalies soon too if the rumours that Miller possibly gets moved are true, we'd start the year with Markstrom and Backman, and then Demko and Garteig in Utica. Joe Canatta has been OK but I think his time might be done as he's a UFA now, and given the calibre of these two college guys. 

51 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Is it just me or is Jimbo dominating the signing of college players?

He's grabbing up much of the best of it thats for sure. The two best goalies and one of the best D men is a hell of a nice run. That story about Caggiula having dinner with Aquilini, Benning and Linden last night is pretty encouraging too.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/canucks-drake-caggiula-free-agent/

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You can never have enough good goaltending, and Utica is going to be out of goalies soon too if the rumours that Miller possibly gets moved are true, we'd start the year with Markstrom and Backman, and then Demko and Garteig in Utica. Joe Canatta has been OK but I think his time might be done as he's a UFA now, and given the calibre of these two college guys. 

I don't think they give up on Cannata. He was better this season than Bachman.

If Miller's moved they would probably sign another veteran backup for Markstrom.

I see it as:

Miller/Markstrom

Cannata/Demko

Garteig

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think they give up on Cannata. He was better this season than Bachman.

If Miller's moved they would probably sign another veteran backup for Markstrom.

I see it as:

Miller/Markstrom

Cannata/Demko

Garteig

I guess I just can't see Joe making the jump up, not even as a backup. But you're right, there are a lot of UFA experienced goalies this year that could fill the veteran backup role with Markstrom, and they would also like the idea of getting a lot of games, probably in the 25-30 range at least behind Markstrom. 

This signing looks like the end to Drake Caggiula as we're now at the 50 man limit.

Just now, Fred65 said:

This signing looks like the end to Drake Caggiula as we're now at the 50 man limit.

These signings are for 2016-17 and a few players who's contracts end this season will not be resigned. Blomstrand is one and a current Comets goalie will be another.  Plus there will be more.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess I just can't see Joe making the jump up, not even as a backup. But you're right, there are a lot of UFA experienced goalies this year that could fill the veteran backup role with Markstrom, and they would also like the idea of getting a lot of games, probably in the 25-30 range at least behind Markstrom. 

It seems like Cannata isn't likely going to make the jump, but at the same time he's improved every season and has been making progress. I think they owe it to him to let him keep developing in the AHL.

Lets not forget Cannata had a pretty good college career himself. He was a Hobey Baker finalist after a great senior season. Penciling Garteig ahead of him at this point may be premature.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It seems like Cannata isn't likely going to make the jump, but at the same time he's improved every season and has been making progress. I think they owe it to him to let him keep developing in the AHL.

Lets not forget Cannata had a pretty good college career himself. He was a Hobey Baker finalist after a great senior season. Penciling Garteig ahead of him at this point may be premature.

Good points.... I guess at at the AHL level having 3 goalies isn't unusual but don't you think it would squeeze the development time of all 3 too much?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Good points.... I guess at at the AHL level having 3 goalies isn't unusual but don't you think it would squeeze the development time of all 3 too much?

I think they have a pretty good idea of who will be an NHLer and who won't.

Demko's development will take priority, but I think they give Cannata one more season even if it's just to be a stopgap for Garteig to get lots of games in the ECHL. 

As an undrafted goalie, Garteig must realize that it's going to take at least a couple years of development before he makes the jump. A season in the ECHL and a season or two in the AHL wouldn't be that uncommon of a route for a goalie like him to take.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think they have a pretty good idea of who will be an NHLer and who won't.

Demko's development will take priority, but I think they give Cannata one more season even if it's just to be a stopgap for Garteig to get lots of games in the ECHL. 

As an undrafted goalie, Garteig must realize that it's going to take at least a couple years of development before he makes the jump. A season in the ECHL and a season or two in the AHL wouldn't be that uncommon of a route for a goalie like him to take.

Yah that all makes sense actually. I didn't really consider him starting in the ECHL - high hopes from me, eh? B)

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He's grabbing up much of the best of it thats for sure. The two best goalies and one of the best D men is a hell of a nice run. That story about Caggiula having dinner with Aquilini, Benning and Linden last night is pretty encouraging too.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/canucks-drake-caggiula-free-agent/

Cagguila is doing a bit of a tour of a number of teams he's interested in. He started with Edmonton last week/week before and he has a few others he'll see before making a decision.

Good signing with Garteig though. As Sid says, he was a completely raw goalie using athleticism to begin with who's really learnt how to play the position properly once going to college. He was with the Vees in Penticton the year they had the record breaking 2011/12 season with 42 straight wins as well, when they went 54-4-0-2 and won the Doyle and Royal Bank Cup and became national champions. Would be nice to see a BC boy succeed.

• Upvote 3

This looks like a potential "out the door" to Bachman. Next year, I'd look for Markstrom to start 45-50, Miller approx. 30-35, and possibly look at Cannata for a quick 2-4 games, just to see how he handles the speed of the NHL. He's (Cannata) almost at the age you would expect a goalie to really close to his full potential. Demko would, in this scenario (and pretty much everyone else's!) be the number one in Utica next year, playing around 40, with Cannata almost all the rest, and Garteig mostly playing in Kalamazoo. Garteig seems like a possible full time number two; you know we would always cheer him on, and being a BC boy doesn't hurt.

I put Cannata in the same picture as Grenier; next year, it's time to prove you can handle the NHL, or you may never see it again. Cannata is about one year behind Grenier, but...still, its about time.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 1h1 hour ago

Garteig says he had interest from several teams and the #Canucks made a great pitch. He says they made it easy for him to sign.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 1h1 hour ago

Garteig is from Prince George and says he grew up watching the #Canucks. Calls the signing a special moment for his family.

• Upvote 3

Remember how fans used to wring their hands when Gillis constantly passed on signing and drafting local talent?

That doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Remember how fans used to wring their hands when Gillis constantly passed on signing and drafting local talent?

That doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Gillis passed on or missed talent period.