Sign in to follow this  
thejazz97

Michael Garteig | G

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Sorry for derailing the thread but you are really over doing this injury excuse.  He obviously wasn't that hurt/ out of shape if they played him 67 games this season.  That's practically no rest at all, especially for a rookie who isn't used to that sort of grind.  I mean talk about ruining a kids confidence, like I said to you earlier, 2 goals in 67 games is "impressively bad".  You said his numbers will go up but that's not saying very much.  He played on championship caliber team with high end prospects in Oshawa.  This is just another example of Canucks fans hyping up there prospects and then it turning around and biting them in the butt.  

To say Gaunce, Subban and Cassels were all good picks makes no sense.  None of them have proven anything unless we are talking AHL success? Which again, Cassels isn't even in that category...Yet  

Speaking of Canucks fans hyping up prospects...same goes for the hype surrounding Travis Green.  People talk about him like he's a god.  Impressive AHL career so far but look at our roster, who has he developed that actually plays for us?  I know he has only had a few seasons but he couldn't develop Shinkaruk, it doesn't look like Grenier will be anything more than a depth guy at best, Friesen no, Zalewski no, Kenins no, Archibald no, Pedan looks...okay, still young and raw.  To be fair, these aren't high end names and the jury is still out on a few of them but still.

Our young guys include McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Hutton, Tryamkin, Baertschi.  None of whom were developed by Travis Green.

end/rant 

Travis Green stated (earlier in the season) that he didn't expect Cassels to play well (due to the nature of his injury) until after Christmas.  I think it's too early to suggest that he won't make the NHL, granted, he really needs to work on his skating.

I think Gaunce has proven that he can be an NHL player.   Subban and Cassels are only in their 1st year of pro.  It's a crap shoot.   Hopefully 2 or 3 of the current Utica prospects will make the team in the upcoming years.

Most late rounders in the entry draft fail to make it into the NHL, so it's not rocket science that the players you mention are not developing into top line quality players.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 1

On 4/29/2016 at 2:30 PM, shayster007 said:

Another top goalie of the NCAA. Went 32-4-7 last year with a save of 924 and 1.91GAA. 24 years old and from Prince George. Not that I'm complaining but I wonder why we need another goalies prospect with the current line up pretty solid with Miller to Marky. Marky to Demko. I guess just to have a solid prospect tandem in Utica to push Demko. 

Regardless,  fantastic job Benning. Another solid prospect picked up for the cost of a handshake. Not sure where he would fit it long term, but stoked to see a local top prospect come back to BC. 

Gotta hand it to Benning so far, he's on fire early this off season. If he keeps the momentum going... I won't jynx it... 

In fact, the goalie pipeline is very thin. Miller has one more year on his contract and is unlikely to return. Cannata is unlikely to ever be an NHL goalie and is a UFA this summer anyway. Bachman is strictly an AHL vet type goalie. So the "pipeline" consists of two guys -- Marky and Demko, one of whom has not yet played his first pro game.

If the Canucks did not add depth now and one of those gets injured the Canucks would flail around desperately to find someone.  And you always want some internal competition. And, although Demko is a great prospect and we all want and expect him to do well, it is possible that he does not transition easily to the pro game. And Marky is a UFA after next year. What is he decides to try the free agent market. The Canucks were always going to add someone to the pipeline this summer.

Next year, Garteig probably plays in the ECH, and Demko plays in Utica with Bachman. In 2017-18, if things go well, Marky re-signs and takes over as #1 in Vancouver, Demko maybe moves up to the Canucks, and Garteig moves up to Utica. The Canucks would still need to add someone else for Utica. And that is if things go well. Maybe Demko is not ready for the Canucks in  2017-18 but maybe Gartieg (who is several years older) is and there are lots of other contingencies.

Bottom line: the goalie pipeline was thin and getting another guy in the system was necessary and was therefore the right thing to do.

• Upvote 1

"Flail around desperately" is a bit dramatic, but we'd be able to find an ok goalie for NHL back up coverage without a lot of trouble if it came to that. Finding a starter - even to share the duty as a 1A/1B - would definitely be tougher if we can't promote from within, but for a rebuilding team it's not impossible.

If we're that worried we can look at a stop gap but keep one of or both of Bachman and Cannata around as well. Once Miller goes an injury to Markstrom is a bigger concern though if no one else has stepped up.

Benning on signing Quinnipiac goalie Michael Garteig last week:

“He’s from Prince George. He’s a BC kid. When I talked to him after we signed him, he was so excited to sign with the Canucks and be part of our group going forward. He’s had a real good college career. He’s got good size and covers a lot of net. Now, with Mike and Thatcher Demko, we have some depth at the goal position and we have to concentrate on adding some good young defensemen to our prospect pool.” 

4 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

and we have to concentrate on adding some good young defensemen to our prospect pool.” 

:wub:

• Upvote 1

Are Garteig and Demko going to fight it out for the starting spot in Utica?

Edited by Qwags

It was noted earlier in the thread, but Garteig may end up as the ECHL starter to begin with if we hold onto Bachman in the AHL. Camp has a way of forcing decisions though, so it's hard to predict for sure at this point.

17 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

It was noted earlier in the thread, but Garteig may end up as the ECHL starter to begin with if we hold onto Bachman in the AHL. Camp has a way of forcing decisions though, so it's hard to predict for sure at this point.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't see both Garteig/Demko as the guys in Utica next season.  I see it as Bachman/Demko in Utica.  The AHL is about development both on ice and off.  Bachman would be a valuable asset to Demko learning how to be a pro on/off the ice.  Every team goes through rough patches, Bachman would be the stabilizing guy there hopefully in a perfect scenario.  Look how important it was to JB to get that veteran, stabilizing presence in goal in Vancouver - I don't see him throwing two rookies into the 'fire' so to speak in Utica imo.  Demko is the key to the succession line in goal in Vancouver - JB needs to get his development right. 

• Upvote 1

It's still the ECHL, but nice to see him doing well and he is a solid goalie prospect.

Michael Garteig with 22 saves tonight!!!! Markstrom hammys get tight and has to be pulled half way thru first :D

• Upvote 1

1. NEWS 1130 Sports@NEWS1130Sports 8h8 hours ago

Garteig at the airport, sounded calm says he is just relishing the moment and kind of letting it sink in. #Canucks

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 8h8 hours ago

Michael Garteig on getting the call from the #Canucks : "Any chance you get called up is exciting, kid from B.C it's a dream come true."

NEWS 1130 Sports@NEWS1130Sports 8h8 hours ago

Garteig on his 1st year in pro hockey in Alaska : "It's an adjustment, more quality chances than college."

Edited by Stierlitz

Garteig makes 36 saves and gets his first pro shutout in his return to the Aces tonight. He's now 6-1-0 with a 2.25 GAA and a .925 save percentage.

A recall to Utica might be incoming for him, depending on if Bachman has to miss time with the injury.

• Upvote 3

So does Garteig and Demko split duties in Utica next year? They should get a boost in the defensemen from all the CHL grads. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So does Garteig and Demko split duties in Utica next year? They should get a boost in the defensemen from all the CHL grads. 

Depending on what happens with Miller and the Canucks, Demko could very well be backing up Markstrom with Garteig splitting time with Bachman down in Utica.