The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the NBA ever come back to Vancouver?

Lui's Knob

Watching the "we the north" movement and excitement with the Raptors back east and the acclimatization of Americans playing in a Canadian basketball market, will the NBA ever give Vancouver a 2nd chance for an NBA team (with a proper GM and drafting)? Ever?

If they do they should give us 5 consecutive first overall draft picks as payback for their inept expansion drafting rules.  The last 2 min of a b-ball game are painful and the bigger the game(playoffs) the more painful it is to watch. 

It'll happen one day. There's a bigger wrong to be righted first though and that's Seattle.

You're going to see every major sports league in Las Vegas too. The NFL's Raiders are already exploring moving there. The NHL is wanting to expand there. The NBA would be a perfect fit there too. If other leagues move in to Vegas, the NBA will slide right on in. They're no dummies.

There's many other markets wanting a team too Mexico City, Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City. The NBA can take their pick.

13 minutes ago, butters said:

NBA can stay away. They banned us from getting top draft picks, and the players were a bunch of whiners who had no desire to be here (with one or two exceptions). And then there was Steve Francis....

Never forget the look on Steve Francis when he was drafted by Grizzlies.

Who could forget Othella Harrington when he said how hated rain in Vancouver.

4 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Never forget the look on Steve Francis when he was drafted by Grizzlies.

Who could forget Othella Harrington when he said how hated rain in Vancouver.

Thing now is how much european South American and Canadian content in the draft there is ... Don't need to pick the Francis of the world who have zero desire to play up north. 

Seattle will get a team before we will. And until Seattle gets an arena built, that's not happening either. 

The NBA has pretty much ignored San Diego since it lost the Clippers. But then again they stayed away from New Orleans for over 20 years until the Hornets/Pelicans moved there. 

Vancouver is a very different city since the Grizzlies were here. But considering how the NBA didn't even offer a word of protest when both the Sonics and Grizzlies moved, screw them. NCAA basketball is more entertaining anyways. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

If they do they should give us 5 consecutive first overall draft picks as payback for their inept expansion drafting rules.  The last 2 min of a b-ball game are painful and the bigger the game(playoffs) the more painful it is to watch. 

Yup and if Authur Griffiths didn't take the advice from David Stern on Hiring a incompetent Gm in Stu Jackson who didn't think much of Steve Nash, And using their first pick on point guard for three straight years was a good idea.

It is insane how many mistakes the grizzlies made. I would love to see NBA basketball come back to Vancouver. I moved to Toronto and I love going to Raps games, and I probably didn't watch a basketball game ever again after the Grizzlies re-located until this year. 

Canada is massive in landmass but so small in population. I love seeing Canada get behind the Raptors & Blue Jays. We should unite as a nation, not squabble over pointless city rivalries that don't make any sense and really shouldn't exist. I am trying to make more of an effort to support other Canadian hockey teams as well, but it is hard when it comes to the Oilers and Flames as there is actual hockey rivalry there. 

24 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

It is insane how many mistakes the grizzlies made. I would love to see NBA basketball come back to Vancouver. I moved to Toronto and I love going to Raps games, and I probably didn't watch a basketball game ever again after the Grizzlies re-located until this year. 

Canada is massive in landmass but so small in population. I love seeing Canada get behind the Raptors & Blue Jays. We should unite as a nation, not squabble over pointless city rivalries that don't make any sense and really shouldn't exist. I am trying to make more of an effort to support other Canadian hockey teams as well, but it is hard when it comes to the Oilers and Flames as there is actual hockey rivalry there. 

I hear ya, and I totally did jump on the Blue Jays bandwagon last summer (no shame!), but still; I wish it wasn't Toronto.

Maybe. But I personally don't care if they come back or not. Content with watching the Raptors basketball. Besides we have the White Caps and Lions to cheer for (other than the Canucks that is).

The attitude of the professional basketball players towards playing in Canada has been disappointing at best. Not sure if I can cheer for a team full of players who don't like being here.

I'd be down for it. 

Wonder what name they would go with?  (I'm glad that there's already a Grizzlies team in the league so Vancouver can't use it, as that defunct franchise doesn't have a reason to come back into existence in the 604).

Archived