The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the NBA ever come back to Vancouver?

Lui's Knob

• 4 months later...

I miss the NBA. that's some very good sporting entertainment. I didn't miss all the losses that came with the Grizzlies, but without a doubt, I believe they would still be in this city of ours, had it not been the poor management. Canucks were close to leaving the city at one time as well, that was a low point for the franchise. 

I'd welcome the NBA back. This city needs more sporting entertainment, and the more the better! I feel like Van is a decent sports city, but we can certainly elevate that stature to great sporting city one day, I'm hoping. 

Adam Silver has said several times that the league has no desire to expand. I believe that the only way to get an NBA team back here, is really through the Aquilini's. Nobody else is going to do it. He's the man to get this city back onto the NBA map. If it's not going through him, it's probably not coming back. Steve Nash, probably? But he's been really quiet about anything NBA and Vancouver. 

Here's hoping that in the next 10 years, there might be legit conversation about a franchise here (relocation, or expansion). 

24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I miss the NBA. that's some very good sporting entertainment. I didn't miss all the losses that came with the Grizzlies, but without a doubt, I believe they would still be in this city of ours, had it not been the poor management. Canucks were close to leaving the city at one time as well, that was a low point for the franchise. 

I'd welcome the NBA back. This city needs more sporting entertainment, and the more the better! I feel like Van is a decent sports city, but we can certainly elevate that stature to great sporting city one day, I'm hoping. 

Adam Silver has said several times that the league has no desire to expand. I believe that the only way to get an NBA team back here, is really through the Aquilini's. Nobody else is going to do it. He's the man to get this city back onto the NBA map. If it's not going through him, it's probably not coming back. Steve Nash, probably? But he's been really quiet about anything NBA and Vancouver. 

Here's hoping that in the next 10 years, there might be legit conversation about a franchise here (relocation, or expansion). 

Right. And the only team that is close to relocation is Sacramento. Otherwise, we'll have to wait for expansion and who knows, that'll take years for it to happen.

But I'm positive Vancouver will be a great basketball market. Not saying due to recent amount of draw the Raptors preseason games have but Vancouver can take an NBA team. We've got the arena for it and we can definitely support an NBA team here. Lots of basketball fans are in the city.

Just now, Apple Juice said:

Right. And the only team that is close to relocation is Sacramento. Otherwise, we'll have to wait for expansion and who knows, that'll take years for it to happen.

But I'm positive Vancouver will be a great basketball market. Not saying due to recent amount of draw the Raptors preseason games have but Vancouver can take an NBA team. We've got the arena for it and we can definitely support an NBA team here. Lots of basketball fans are in the city.

Yep. I'd agree! 

Sacramento isn't going anywhere. 

Most likely, someone locally would have to make a move for expansion, and push for it. I'm not sure if that's Nash, Aquilini (who else do we have that loves this city that much to spend millions to bring in a pro bball team back?)

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. I'd agree! 

Sacramento isn't going anywhere. 

Most likely, someone locally would have to make a move for expansion, and push for it. I'm not sure if that's Nash, Aquilini (who else do we have that loves this city that much to spend millions to bring in a pro bball team back?)

Not sure how updated it is but the last I heard, Sacramento was the only team that was up for relocation due to ownership and stuff like that. 

As far as entrepreneurs that is willing to shell out millions of dollars to bring an NBA team here, not sure. If Gaglardi and Aquilini could get over their personal feud, I'm certain Gaglardi would be the only other option we'd have to bring an NBA franchise back.

4 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Not sure how updated it is but the last I heard, Sacramento was the only team that was up for relocation due to ownership and stuff like that. 

As far as entrepreneurs that is willing to shell out millions of dollars to bring an NBA team here, not sure. If Gaglardi and Aquilini could get over their personal feud, I'm certain Gaglardi would be the only other option we'd have to bring an NBA franchise back.

Hoping that Sacramento would be on Aquilini's radar for potentially relocation to Van. I think Seattle deserves a franchise first, before Van., but if they can't get a stadium in place, and we already have one ready to go (Rogers), then why not us? This city has demonstrated that we can support a team, even when they're not very good, imagine what the support would be like, if the team is consistently winning

Galgardi, I don't think is an option, simply because he doesn't own Rogers, Aquilini's do. And if they still have a personal feud going, then I can see Aquilini overcharging Galgardi to rent the arena, that just wouldn't make good business sense, which is why I'm saying the only way we get an NBA back into this city, is via the Aquilini's. And if they're worried about an NBA franchise affecting the NHL team (Canucks) - I think those are two totally different markets. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Hoping that Sacramento would be on Aquilini's radar for potentially relocation to Van. I think Seattle deserves a franchise first, before Van., but if they can't get a stadium in place, and we already have one ready to go (Rogers), then why not us? This city has demonstrated that we can support a team, even when they're not very good, imagine what the support would be like, if the team is consistently winning

Galgardi, I don't think is an option, simply because he doesn't own Rogers, Aquilini's do. And if they still have a personal feud going, then I can see Aquilini overcharging Galgardi to rent the arena, that just wouldn't make good business sense, which is why I'm saying the only way we get an NBA back into this city, is via the Aquilini's. And if they're worried about an NBA franchise affecting the NHL team (Canucks) - I think those are two totally different markets. 

Wonder if the old Jim Pattison is interested in pursuing this. He obviously has the funds, just a matter of interest and whether or not he wants to pursue it despite his age.

10 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

love to see nba back in vancouver... but doubt it...  just dont think we have enough fans to pay big $$$ to watch 42 games... ticket prices have double since the grizzlies left... dont see too many people paying $200-400 a game in the lower bowl to watch..  Canucks cant even sell out now..

37 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Answer is yes ... at least for a night.  Rogers arena, Raptors vs. Golden State ... was kinda surprised how low key this game was.  Didn't hear about it till today on the radio.  Anyone going?  Superstars in town.  

You only JUST heard about it today? Were you living under a rock? Cuz this was announced in the beginning of September that the Warriors were coming as part of the Raptors preseason Canadian tour

26 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

You only JUST heard about it today? Were you living under a rock? Cuz this was announced in the beginning of September that the Warriors were coming as part of the Raptors preseason Canadian tour

Just today, I listen to 1040 on the way to work everyday and I only heard about it today.  

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

Just today, I listen to 1040 on the way to work everyday and I only heard about it today.  

Interesting.. I would think at least 1040 would have said something about it when tickets were coming on sale..

Do you have Facebook? Surely you would've seen it there..

3 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Man, tickets are pretty expensive.  Exhibition NBA are higher than regular season Canucks albeit, the rarity of seeing an NBA game locally.   And NBA got it right, Raptors and GS.  Guess will have to find livestream.  

The prices are pretty much on par as to when I went to see the Sharks-Canucks in the Western Conference Finals Game Two in 2011. And I was sitting in the upper level as well.

45 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

If the superstars play today, then those who bought tickets for the game would be getting their money's worth. I mean who wouldn't want to go to a Warriors Raptors game which could be a preview of this year's Finals...

Curry, Thompson, Durant and the rest of the superstars will play. It's for the fans. They'll play most of the first half and then the second half they'll take a seat. You'll see one or two of the starters come back in the second half but not for long. It is still preseason after all.

I went to Raptors-Clippers preseason last year sitting in lower bowl for way cheaper than what the tickets are right now and that's exactly what happened last year. CP3, Jordan, Griffin, DeRozan, Lowry, and all the other superstars played majority of the first half. Second half, one or two of them came back for a bit and the rest just sat for the rest of the game.

On 2016-09-29 at 2:39 PM, Apple Juice said:

Wonder if the old Jim Pattison is interested in pursuing this. He obviously has the funds, just a matter of interest and whether or not he wants to pursue it despite his age.

that's true. i forgot about old Pattison. but don't think he would be interested. if he was. there would be some sort of news about it by now. there was an article in either the province or sun about him being involved in a franchise coming back to vancity. he said "you never know" which is basically speech for "nope". again. the only way that a franchise is coming back to this city is through the Aquilini's. and i don't think that's happening for a while. unless there is a franchise that is in desperate need of a relocation. like the Sacramento Kings. 

Archived