The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we have a shot at Stamkos?

I'd hope that JB is pursuing him... I mean if we can grab a guy like that, there's your franchise player to build around. A 26 year old Canadian scoring machine would like good in a nucks jersey.  That said, would he come here?  I mean surely there will be several teams will to pay the max won't there be?  Would Vancouver appeal to him?  Things would sure get exciting around here if it happened.

We don't have the cap space going forward. We need to re-sign Markstrom, Beartschi, and other RFA's. Once Horvat, Hutton, come off their ELC we'll have to pay them more as well as Virt and McCann. Stamkos will cost at least 10 million per season. We can't afford to handcuff the team when we aren't contending now.

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We don't have the cap space going forward. We need to re-sign Markstrom, Beartschi, and other RFA's. Once Horvat, Hutton, come off their ELC we'll have to pay them more as well as Virt and McCann. Stamkos will cost at least 10 million per season. We can't afford to handcuff the team when we aren't contending now.

There are a ton of other UFA's coming off the books in the next few years. Over $10 mil alone from Miller and Burrows. That should cover the raises to Horvat, Hutton, and Tryamkin. The year after that, the twins and Sbisa are up, for the next round.

We have the room. And if you get the chance to add Stamkos, you do it. I don't think it's likely that he wants to be in Vancouver, but then again, it's a beautiful city, we have the money to pay him over $10 mil per, and he'll definitely be the top dog in town - so I wouldn't say it's beyond possible.

I doubt he would want to come here for two reasons: 1) we don't have a ton of cap room compared to other teams, so if he is looking for a payday this wouldn't be the best spot and 2) we are in a rebuild and if he is looking to compete for the cup during his prime there are better options. 

18 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Not sure if accurate, but doesn't look like it, can't post link.  Le Monde du sport tweet.  Georges Laraque from Montreal radio station says all but done with the Laffs 

image.jpeg

That would be tampering so I am going call BS on that.

20 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Not sure if accurate, but doesn't look like it, can't post link.  Le Monde du sport tweet.  Georges Laraque from Montreal radio station says all but done with the Laffs 

image.jpeg

it says not "all but done", but "already signed".

Lost a lot of respect and interest in Stamkos this year when he - as acting Captain of the Lightning - played those tweet games indicating he has one foot out the door and in Toronto.

Very disrespectful to the Lightning fan base imo.

Perhaps fitting that their next core would be built around more poor leadership.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lost a lot of respect and interest in Stamkos this year when he - as acting Captain of the Lightning - played those tweet games indicating he has one foot out the door and in Toronto.

Very disrespectful to the Lightning fan base imo.

Perhaps fitting that their next core would be built around more poor leadership.

He did no such thing.

Archived