The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Card Collection

numb3r 16

In '79 I was 10. Probably played closies and knockdowns with lots of Gretzky RC's. My bro and I had 2 apple boxes full of cards 'cuz Granny used to buy us a box or 2 here and there and in grades 6 & 7 I was the hockey card champ at elementary school. It got to the point that I would go to school with 1 card (actually it was sometimes 2 of the exact same card glued together in a vice grip. That super card would never lose in a game of rebounds) and come home with my lunchkit full. Yup, I wasn't above cheating to feed my addiction. Must have been the smell of the gum and the cuts it made to the roof of my mouth that drove me to it.

When I was around 15 I sold them for a penny a piece at the Cloverdale Flea Market and got $40 that I used to buy fishing tackle. So 40,000 cards from say '77-'81. The average Gretzky RC is $1,500 and I probably sold 10 in that lot (as well as Lemiuex's). Man I hope the memories I have of fishing anywhere I could get to on my bmx are worth $20,000. And yes, we often clothes-pinned cards into the spokes of our bikes. Probably killed another couple of grand that way.

Pretty much anything after '91 is worthless so I just haven't bothered getting back into it even though the quality of the new cards is amazing.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I walked into a card store for the first time in about 10-15 years last weekend. The hobby is a lot more expensive than I remembered.

They still make cheap stuff, but they also make stuff that costs $600 a pack for adult collectors.

Archived