The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yan-Pavel Laplante | LW/C

stonecoldstevebernier

Figured this should probably be started. 21 year old LW, 6'0, 183 lbs; a former Coyotes draft pick who wasn't signed or re-drafted. Hopefully he'll get a fair shot in Utica next season, we don't have a lot in the way of forward prospects ready to join the AHL so the door is open for him to work his way into the lineup there.

Season  Team  Lge GP  G A Pts PIM  +/-   GP G  A Pts  PIM
2011-12  Prince Edward Island Rocket  QMJHL  57  6 15  21   33 -33 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13  Prince Edward Island Rocket  QMJHL  18 5 8 13 12 11 6 3 2 5 4
2013-14  Charlottetown Islanders  QMJHL  32 10  8 18 32 -8 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14  Victoriaville Tigres  QMJHL  31 13 11 24 4 -1 5 3 3 6 0
2013-14  Portland Pirates  AHL   6 0 0 0 2 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15  Victoriaville Tigres  QMJHL  20 13 12 25 35 3 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15  Gatineau Olympiques  QMJHL  30 9 8 17 33 -2 11 1 0 1 12
2015-16  Gatineau Olympiques  QMJHL  63 34 31 65 88 17 10 3 5 8 8

35 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Seems like a Lapierre light version. Which would be great given the low cost. It will be interesting to see what a year in Utica does for him.

I wonder why he wasn't signed by the Coyotes. Are they full on contracts or something? It just seems odd; 62nd overall and they only give him 6 games in the AHL. Looks like a team guy and plays really well defensively looking back at his U18 highlights playing for team Canada. Plus he fights like a maniac. Lapierre is a good comparible, or burrows even (grind his way into the league and leaddership qualities). 

20 minutes ago, BrettAdv_7 said:

I wonder why he wasn't signed by the Coyotes. Are they full on contracts or something? It just seems odd; 62nd overall and they only give him 6 games in the AHL. Looks like a team guy and plays really well defensively looking back at his U18 highlights playing for team Canada. Plus he fights like a maniac. Lapierre is a good comparible, or burrows even (grind his way into the league and leaddership qualities). 

Maybe their new 26 year old GM didnt like his corsi? :-)

AZ probably needs the space on the 50 man roster and have some extra higher picks this year that they want to sign to elc's soon is my guess.

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

AZ probably needs the space on the 50 man roster and have some extra higher picks this year that they want to sign to elc's soon is my guess.

Haha maybe he should have a look at his fist throwing corsi, I think he is well in the positives there! 

And yeah i reckon that'd be a good guess about the elc's 

Looks like he could be one feisty piece of business. I love how he throws his body around, he isn't shy to dropping the gloves. He has a nose for the net which is where most of his goals come from. He appears alot like a  Lucic and Lappiere combination.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

It was a year ago that the Coyotes lost their rights to Laplante by not having signed him.

Draft + 1 season 2013-14      63 games in junior 23 g 19 ast 42 pts -9  (+ 6 scoreless AHL games, presumably at the end of the season after his junior team was finished)

Draft + 2 season 2014-15      50 games in junior 22 g 20 ast 42 pts -1

At the end of his Draft + 2 season he was not signed by the Coyotes so was eligible for the draft again and when not drafted was an UFA but didn't get drafted and didn't get signed.

This is going to be an unpopular comment on here, but I'd guess the Coyotes didn't sign him because they didn't think he'd progressed enough since being drafted to be worth a contract.  They had two years and would have had a few spots available last offseason.

Pretty clearly, given the bonuses and the salary amounts, Benning currently considers him a very worthwhile signing.

I can see the Lapierre comparisons actually... gritty guys who didn't put up much offense in junior. Lapierre was drafted #61, Laplante #62. Both underwhelmed in their last years of junior (especially considering the Q is so high scoring) but the team that drafted Lapierre just ended up keeping him.

Free prospects are rarely a bad thing (or a good thing, but we need optimism around here). Plus he has a cool name. "YPL" just has a nice ring to it.

8 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Either a poor man Burrows or 4th line or bust.

This signing shows the Canucks are going to draft Dubois if he is available. They already have a french conncetion now with prospects like this Yan-Pavel and Guillame Brisebois.

At this point in his career, he's more like a rich man's Burrows tbh. 

Every year we draft players in the 5th-7th rounds for the same reason. There is something the scouts see that could translate into the NHL. The difference? We didn't have to use a draft pick. Worst case, he goes to the ECHL and disappears. Best case, Burrows V.2.0. 

I still fail to see why folks like Desi and Labamba have issues with signing a depth UFA? 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Every year we draft players in the 5th-7th rounds for the same reason. There is something the scouts see that could translate into the NHL. The difference? We didn't have to use a draft pick. Worst case, he goes to the ECHL and disappears. Best case, Burrows V.2.0. 

I still fail to see why folks like Desi and Labamba have issues with signing a depth UFA? 

The guy sounds like he's going to be a hard nosed, tough to play against type of player.  Plus, he was FREE!  

If we gave up another second round pick to get this guy, I could see Desi's and LaBamaba's points, but considering we gave up nothing (other than a contract spot) they have no reason to complain, other than simply to complain.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How tall is he? Labamba only likes players that are 6'3 or taller.

Pretty minor signing, he seemed to show some promise when drafted but then a shoulder injury and he ended up moving between multiple teams in the Q. Depending on the reason for his moving around so much (was he sought after or expendable?) it could mean he's either been underdeveloped and still has promise or has underachieved and is what he is already.

I'd like to lean towards the former, but more likely that it's the latter. He could end up a decent depth guy, playing on the PK perhaps, but I don't see a lot of offence or anything like that at the NHL level if he does make it. More likely he'll be a moderately effective AHL guy, but we'll see.

If he's an UFA did they actually need to give him a three year deal, and why didn't they have Utica sign him ? The last time Vcr tried this route was with Mallett ie over age junior. Seems like a lot about nothing. No mention if other clubs were interested. Frankly I can't figure the rational

Now if they were signing this guy maybe I'd be more enthused

That’s why fans of a few NHL clubs — there’s chatter the offence-challenged Montreal Canadiens have interest — are hoping Shipachyov’s next juke could be a hard cut west toward the best league in the world. Panarin, made that move better than anyone dared to dream, registering 30 goals and 77 points in 80 games while playing beside Patrick Kane.

While Panarin carries more of a finisher label, Shipachyov is a born set-up man. He led the KHL with 43 assists in 54 outings and his playmaking ability was evident well before he teed up Panarin on Monday. Some of his best work came below the hashmarks, where Shipachyov, on more than one occasion, spotted open teammates as if he was watching the game from 15 rows up in the stands.

25 minutes ago, Fred65 said:
  • If he's an UFA did they actually need to give him a three year deal, and why didn't they have Utica sign him ? The last time Vcr tried this route was with Mallett ie over age junior. Seems like a lot about nothing. No mention if other clubs were interested. Frankly I can't figure the rational

As far as term length, the CBA doesn't allow any wiggle room (on ELCs). Players age 18-21 get three year deals.

And as to why he got an NHL deal, I'm just speculating but I'd imagine another club was also interested.

If only the Canucks were looking at him, he would have had basically no negotiating power and I doubt he gets anywhere close to the contract he received (his deal is richer than those received by guys like Brisebois and Subban).

Also, the fact the Canucks gave him the maximum allowable signing bonus ($92,500 per season) suggests Vancouver might not have been the only offer.

Archived