The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yan-Pavel Laplante | LW/C

stonecoldstevebernier

42 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

As far as term length, the CBA doesn't allow any wiggle room (on ELCs). Players age 18-21 get three year deals.

And as to why he got an NHL deal, I'm just speculating but I'd imagine another club was also interested.

If only the Canucks were looking at him, he would have had basically no negotiating power and I doubt he gets anywhere close to the contract he received (his deal is richer than those received by guys like Brisebois and Subban).

Also, the fact the Canucks gave him the maximum allowable signing bonus ($92,500 per season) suggests Vancouver might not have been the only offer.

Yeah, bonuses like he got would suggest Vancouver wasn't the only suitor.

I've never heard of Yan-Pavel Laplante but looking at his highlights; I have to say, I like what I see. He needs to work on his skating but he has a game that could translate well to the NHL. This could be blasphemous, but I do see a bit of Rick Rypien (RIP) in him in both, size and fighting style. If he can achieve a consistent rate of production, I could see him in a fourth line role in a couple years. Who Knows? He could be a diamond in the rough.

11 hours ago, tyhee said:

It was a year ago that the Coyotes lost their rights to Laplante by not having signed him.

Draft + 1 season 2013-14      63 games in junior 23 g 19 ast 42 pts -9  (+ 6 scoreless AHL games, presumably at the end of the season after his junior team was finished)

Draft + 2 season 2014-15      50 games in junior 22 g 20 ast 42 pts -1

At the end of his Draft + 2 season he was not signed by the Coyotes so was eligible for the draft again and when not drafted was an UFA but didn't get drafted and didn't get signed.

This is going to be an unpopular comment on here, but I'd guess the Coyotes didn't sign him because they didn't think he'd progressed enough since being drafted to be worth a contract.  They had two years and would have had a few spots available last offseason.

Pretty clearly, given the bonuses and the salary amounts, Benning currently considers him a very worthwhile signing.

Thats interesting - so he had his point per game season the year AFTER the 'yotes gave up on him? If thats correct then this is a nice catch by Benning to grab up a guy maybe AZ should have been more patient with. 

Benning's sure taking a lot of chances - Laplante, Larsen, Rodin, Stecher, Garteig.... it will be really telling to see how many of these guys develop into NHL players. If all of these guys become productive players here or elsewhere Benning is going to be seen as a genius. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Thats interesting - so he had his point per game season the year AFTER the 'yotes gave up on him? If thats correct then this is a nice catch by Benning to grab up a guy maybe AZ should have been more patient with. 

Benning's sure taking a lot of chances - Laplante, Larsen, Rodin, Stecher, Garteig.... it will be really telling to see how many of these guys develop into NHL players. If all of these guys become productive players here or elsewhere Benning is going to be seen as a genius. 

I guess it what one defines as "productive NHL player"?  For us to be collecting guys who get us further from top picks is not a good thing.  We should be signing older UFAs, like the Leafs did, and then trading them at the TDL for picks.  Getting these 21 to 27 year old average (at best) NHLers is only going to hurt us.  These are spots for either older UFA's or our young good prospects.  Huge mistake by JB.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess it what one defines as "productive NHL player"?  For us to be collecting guys who get us further from top picks is not a good thing.  We should be signing older UFAs, like the Leafs did, and then trading them at the TDL for picks.  Getting these 21 to 27 year old average (at best) NHLers is only going to hurt us.  These are spots for either older UFA's or our young good prospects.  Huge mistake by JB.  

But my furry friend, the flaw there is thinking that you can't do both. Don't forget, a lot of these guys are going to fill the 50 man roster and play in Utica where they get to develop further and maybe become NHL ready. Benning hasn't signed long term deals with no trade clauses. So far they are all low priced elc's or low money short term deals that won't hobble the team at all going forward. 

The only way the guys come up from Utica is if they are ready and have earned it, and if a guy like Rodin falls short Benning has shown he's not afraid to use waivers. 

Plus, there's still room to go after some UFAs like your talking about. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But my furry friend, the flaw there is thinking that you can't do both. Don't forget, a lot of these guys are going to fill the 50 man roster and play in Utica where they get to develop further and maybe become NHL ready. Benning hasn't signed long term deals with no trade clauses. So far they are all low priced elc's or low money short term deals that won't hobble the team at all going forward. 

The only way the guys come up from Utica is if they are ready and have earned it, and if a guy like Rodin falls short Benning has shown he's not afraid to use waivers. 

Plus, there's still room to go after some UFAs like your talking about. 

I see.  The Utica spot for these guys makes good sense.  I appreciate the explanation. And JB didn't give up a second round pick for this one, which is an improvement on how he previously brought some guys - not to be mentioned.  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see.  The Utica spot for these guys makes good sense.  I appreciate the explanation. And JB didn't give up a second round pick for this one, which is an improvement on how he previously brought some guys - not to be mentioned.  

Yup thats a good point as well, guys like this are essentially "free" - no picks given up, lowest salaries, no real consequential term. If even 1/5 makes it on the everyday lineup its worth it imo, and you always need guys where Utica is where they top out. 

I think once a decision is made to move on from this type of player, then the idea of putting them on waivers becomes pretty palatable if things don't work out. 

This guy in particular is kind of interesting... its only a ppg in the minors, but he seems to me to be a smaller version of Lappierre or maybe even Burrows, had Burr gone through more injuries younger in his career. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

There is a reason he is the GM and we just talk like we know what were talking about. Everybody thought the same thing as Burrows and he surprised us all. If Benning and co believe in a player, lets embrace it until we are proven it was a $&!#ty move. I do agree about older vets though, at least for next year. But, i would hardly call this a Ball busting mistake. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:49 PM, tyhee said:

It was a year ago that the Coyotes lost their rights to Laplante by not having signed him.

Draft + 1 season 2013-14      63 games in junior 23 g 19 ast 42 pts -9  (+ 6 scoreless AHL games, presumably at the end of the season after his junior team was finished)

Draft + 2 season 2014-15      50 games in junior 22 g 20 ast 42 pts -1

At the end of his Draft + 2 season he was not signed by the Coyotes so was eligible for the draft again and when not drafted was an UFA but didn't get drafted and didn't get signed.

This is going to be an unpopular comment on here, but I'd guess the Coyotes didn't sign him because they didn't think he'd progressed enough since being drafted to be worth a contract.  They had two years and would have had a few spots available last offseason.

Pretty clearly, given the bonuses and the salary amounts, Benning currently considers him a very worthwhile signing.

I suspect that the Yotes actually have budgetary restraints that the Canucks do not have.

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect that the Yotes actually have budgetary restraints that the Canucks do not have.

Not sure about that. Arizona has a farm team just like Vcr with any number of FA's coming up with Springfield this summer who all get paid basically the same as Laplante

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I expect you're right about that.

Otoh, even though they may be more stingy than others about doing so, they still draft and sign prospects.  In April, 2015 they signed 2014 draft picks Ryan MacInnis and Christian Dvorak to entry level contracts and a little over a month later, in late May, 2015 just before losing the rights to Laplante by not signing him the Coyotes signed undrafted free agent Matthias Plachta.  Then on July 1 they signed undrafted free agent Dakota Mermis to a 3 year entry level contract.

On 2016-05-17 at 10:59 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Love how gritty and hard nosed this kid seems to play.

A brand of hockey I want to see more of, and bringing in a player like Yan-pavel will help endorse that kind of culture, attitude and work ethic for players around.

Gritty and hard nosed is what this league is about now. Look at LA, at Anaheim, at Winnipeg, even Washington. Tough teams to play against. Where is Lapierre now by the way?

1 hour ago, tyhee said:

I expect you're right about that.

Otoh, even though they may be more stingy than others about doing so, they still draft and sign prospects.  In April, 2015 they signed 2014 draft picks Ryan MacInnis and Christian Dvorak to entry level contracts and a little over a month later, in late May, 2015 just before losing the rights to Laplante by not signing him the Coyotes signed undrafted free agent Matthias Plachta.  Then on July 1 they signed undrafted free agent Dakota Mermis to a 3 year entry level contract.

They're likely a little more picky as a result. With the bonus structure the way it was in this signing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Coyotes were only iffy on him to begin with after some of his play and then were completely turned off if he asked for too much. Bonuses aren't a big deal, since you can structure them in a way that if the player hits them then it's good value, but then it depends how the player is asking for them to be structured as well.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎17 at 11:00 PM, BrettAdv_7 said:

I wonder why he wasn't signed by the Coyotes. Are they full on contracts or something? It just seems odd; 62nd overall and they only give him 6 games in the AHL. Looks like a team guy and plays really well defensively looking back at his U18 highlights playing for team Canada. Plus he fights like a maniac. Lapierre is a good comparible, or burrows even (grind his way into the league and leaddership qualities). 

Just looking at the guy and his numbers he may be to the Coyotes what we had in Alex Mallet. Similar style player, same league, similar overall draft position. Hopefully it works out for us, would be a long shot to get an NHL player out of this. This is often the case for guys that thrive at playing a heavy style of game in the Q. Many of these players can't translate the parts of their game that gave them success in the Q at the pro level.

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 0:17 PM, Alflives said:

Like who Baertschi? Ya what a waste of a 2nd !! I love that Benning is willing to roll the dice and gamble a bit, after all thats all a 2nd round pick is at the end of the day. A 30% chance of someday cracking a NHL line up.

1 minute ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

Like who Baertschi? Ya what a waste of a 2nd !! I love that Benning is willing to roll the dice and gamble a bit, after all thats all a 2nd round pick is at the end of the day. A 30% chance of someday cracking a NHL line up.

This is really not the thread for Baer talk, and I'm learning to not be lured into derailing a thread.  So go through your wrenches elsewhere.  I can dodge them with the best.  Traffic too, and blindfolded! :lol:

This new guy was a free Bee.  That's great.  We need all our picks and more.  

59 minutes ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

I agree. Baer has been spectacular so far IMO. Definitely worth the 2nd. If Benning see's the potential in a given player, I have full trust in him to go for it. Laplante looks like a great foot soldier for the Comets, and will hopefully be a significant part of their success next season. Probably alot of new faces down in Utica next season to say the least on top our pair of new tendies.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎17 at 9:55 AM, Fred65 said:

If he's an UFA did they actually need to give him a three year deal, and why didn't they have Utica sign him ? The last time Vcr tried this route was with Mallett ie over age junior. Seems like a lot about nothing. No mention if other clubs were interested. Frankly I can't figure the rational

Now if they were signing this guy maybe I'd be more enthused 

That’s why fans of a few NHL clubs — there’s chatter the offence-challenged Montreal Canadiens have interest — are hoping Shipachyov’s next juke could be a hard cut west toward the best league in the world. Panarin, made that move better than anyone dared to dream, registering 30 goals and 77 points in 80 games while playing beside Patrick Kane.

While Panarin carries more of a finisher label, Shipachyov is a born set-up man. He led the KHL with 43 assists in 54 outings and his playmaking ability was evident well before he teed up Panarin on Monday. Some of his best work came below the hashmarks, where Shipachyov, on more than one occasion, spotted open teammates as if he was watching the game from 15 rows up in the stands.

I see Shipachyov is leading the World Championships in scoring. He's 29  so he still has a few years left

On May 17, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I still fail to see why folks like Desi and Labamba have issues with signing a depth UFA? 

Arizona also didn't see him fit for a contract either so don't act like the idea is absolute lunacy.

Those players we pick in 5-7th rounds aren't signed to ELC's either. This guy is a complete waste of a contract. I would much sooner leave the contract space available for players that can play hockey well.

How about a defensemen? 

Archived