The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Soon to be Langley Giants hire Glen Hanlon as GM

http://www.vancourier.com/sports/vancouver-giants-hire-glen-hanlon-as-gm-1.2259276

The Giants will leave Vancouver for Langley now having hired the second general manager in franchse history. 

The 25-year-old WHL club named Glen Hanlon as GM on Thursday morning at the White Spot on Georgia Street, where the Giants organization often hosted the press for announcemetns and continental breakfast. 

Giants owner Ron Toigo emphasized Hanlon's history with Vancouver and experience as a coach and player.

"Glen has a vast network in the hockey industry, and his experience will be a huge benefit to the Giants," said Toigo. "He’s someone who we all know and have worked with in the past, and we’re very excited to work together going forward."

Scott Bonner resigned as the Giants general manager last December.

A good hire. He knows the league, the team and was a coach under Don Hay during the good times.  Hopefully he makes a good decision on the coaching job.  I wish they were staying in the Coliseum, Langley is a trek for me.  They should do well out there though, Go Langley Giants!

Soon to be Surrey Giants. Langley is temporary home until the rink in Surrey gets built. It would be great for the city and the Giants. Win Win situation. 

A rink by Scott Rd. Skytrain Station is being talked about. Something around 7500 seat capacity would be great. Needs to be 5000 seat minimum but Surrey would be able to handle a bigger rink.  

14 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Changing one word in the title does not a new thread make.

Why can't there be a thread about the move. Why does this topic need to be in a thread that was created 4 years ago?

I've never been to that thread you pointed out. Most others don't either, hence the 24 pages in 4 years. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Welcome to the forum.

We have a thread dedicated to the Vancouver Giants where this news was already posted in there.

To be fair, I often get my news from newly created threads and don't frequent the Junior section in off-season.  I've asked for it to be moved or deleted to make you and the more blunt poster that replied happy. 

Was a big fan of Hanlon, way back in the late 70's. Old fans will remember he was dubbed, "The Franchise"!

He seemed on his way to a brilliant career, then injured his knee(was it a pre-season game?..forget). Soon after that, Richard Brodeur would seize the #1 spot.

Overall, always seemed a proud Canuck & good guy. Good luck to him with the Giants.

11 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

@StealthNuck Please delete or move this if you deem a thread on the Giants hiring a new GM is redundant.

Actually,  my apologies to you. Bad day at the office put me in a foul mood so don't let sometime grumpy guys like me dissuade you from posting. In hindsight, of course this deserved it's own thread.

Cheers.

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Soon to be Surrey Giants. Langley is temporary home until the rink in Surrey gets built. It would be great for the city and the Giants. Win Win situation. 

A rink by Scott Rd. Skytrain Station is being talked about. Something around 7500 seat capacity would be great. Needs to be 5000 seat minimum but Surrey would be able to handle a bigger rink.  

Is there any legs to that rumor? That would be awesome. Just about a 12-15 minute drive from my house and would really soften the blow of losing Xcalibur bowling.

32 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Is there any legs to that rumor? That would be awesome. Just about a 12-15 minute drive from my house and would really soften the blow of losing Xcalibur bowling.

There was a lot of talk between the Giants and the City of Surrey in the past 12 months, but they couldn't come to an agreement. I think there will continue to be on-off talks as long as either side has a new idea to throw into the mix. Ultimately, the Giants know they need to be on the Skytrain line. To me, Langley is likely a temporary location. It's a 10-year lease, but there are a lot of outs.

It'll be easier for those of us south of the fraser to catch a WHL game for sure.  Rather see Surrey get another WHL team but that might be unlikely then put a 3rd team at Centennial Park in White RockB).  Tri City Rivalry.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

It'll be easier for those of us south of the fraser to catch a WHL game for sure.  Rather see Surrey get another WHL team but that might be unlikely then put a 3rd team at Centennial Park in White RockB).  Tri City Rivalry.

Reading this makes me nostalgic. In the 70's, we won the Cup plenty of times playin' ball hockey on Blackburn Avenue. Used to set up the nets under the streetlights..didn't ever want to stop playing..CARRR!

Those dreams were more real than almost anything I've experienced before, or since.

Kiel, Prospect Cres, Foster, Malabar then finally Goggs Ave. Were just poor renters, & I didn't realize we'd all get priced outa' paradise! :^)

Archived