The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Battlefield 1 thread

numb3r 16

Ok, So; It just released for PC and this is the first game that has put my new rig to the test at all.

Game runs great and - as somebody that has gamed for 22-24 years, I would rate Battlefield 1 as the best looking game I have ever experienced.

The Campaign? Oh my god, I went into it expecting something COD/Gears Esque, straight action, I was happily surprised. The introduction made me feel uncomfortable(In a way only This War of Mine has hit home in, a very good thing, it made me think about how awful it must have been), and genuinely scared/depressed at certain points thinking about things, I don't want to spoil anything as I think its worth experiencing first hand. I picked the War Story with the pilot missions as my first - and Wow! it was a blast. Interesting Characters, fun missions, everything felt pretty organic, and I felt like I could have legitimately been playing somebody's war story(Perhaps with a few exaggerations for Entertainment's sake)

Multiplayer is a fun experience - I've only started with the Operations Mode; and so far that mode seems like it might need a little balancing, but even while losing its alot of fun.(Or my team was just dominant and I got lucky, heh) but it has the same Charm that I loved from Bad Company 2; It's still most certainly a Battlefield Game, but it feels refreshing to get away from the modern/future technology and introduce so many of the new movement/destruction mechanics to a WW1 Shooter.

I wasn't going into this with overly high hopes, as Battlefield Hardline let me down, and Star Wars Battlefront was quite meh. But This? I think this is one of the best shooters I've played in years. Right up there with Overwatch In my books. A blast. After nearly 3 hours I've encountered 0 bugs, had 0 issues starting up anything and everything has run wonderfully smooth(Except for the loading screens on Operations mode, which were a little clunky to load, leaning towards the engine on this one and I'm 99% sure this will be gone within a patch or two, and a driver update.)

6 minutes ago, KFBR392 said:

I'm tempted to buy this but don't want to waste my long weekend. Part of me also feels like it's better to wait so they can sort out any inevitable bugs for the console versions.

Just like when any new game releases, hackers have taken down psn servers...

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Seriously? You have to pay for multiplayer????

Yeah! Very disappointing. I was told that in the PS thread

&^@# it. I'll pay for it. It's 5$ a month. My birthday is before the next long weekend so it's an appropriate time to relive history :lol:

.. otherwise I have to upgrade my PC for newer games, which I might do anyway.. more of a Christmas thing.

I'm loving this game, its been probably 3-4 years since I've played and enjoyed an fps. They've all been the same copy paste futuristic BS so it's refreshing to finally have a game centered around WW1.

The new Operations mode is really fun although it is very unbalanced (The defending team wins 99/100 times) but, like in any battlefield game, if you can find a squad that is willing to work together than win or lose you will have a good time and put up a decent score.

I'm a big fan of the personal weapons too. No more getting killed across the map by some guy with a scoped LMG. If you're going to kill someone with an automatic weapon from a long range its going to take skill and a little luck with how unpredictable the bullet spread is.

The single player stories are very well done. I've only done 2 of them so far (the airplane one and the tank one) but they tell a good story and are a good way to familiarize yourself with the weapons and vehicles in the game.

So overall it's just an awesome game, the only lag/glitch problems I have had is some of the menus can be a little slow but other than that I have had no problems in-game. If your considering getting this I would definitely recommend it. So much fun 9.5/10.

Was very surprised at how much fun this game is, went into it with very low expectations and have been blown away. They did a great job on the campaign (battlefield never really had great campaigns) it was fun and you actually started to care about the characters. The multiplayer has been just as good. My only complaint is the menus, but it seams every new game is using that annoying metro tile setup, what was wrong with simple menus? At least they worked

After spending quite a few hours in multiplayer I decided to go back and try the Tank-Driver campaign On Normal.  If I have one Major gripe; The AI rides the short bus, hard. Once you realize the AI is borderline retarded and you're the only person playing with any level of intelligence(or speed) The single player game becomes very, VERY easy.. The only time I had to restart/reset was when the Tank wouldn't move after repairing it(seemed like a minor bug)

Soooo.  What are the chances that I could enjoy this game in online multiplayer with my 42 y.o. middle aged man reflexes? 

I rarely play FPS's but this one has piqued my interest.

I dunno if the platform peasant players are separated from us PCMR'ers, but I'm a PC gamer.

18 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Soooo.  What are the chances that I could enjoy this game in online multiplayer with my 42 y.o. middle aged man reflexes? 

I rarely play FPS's but this one has piqued my interest.

I dunno if the platform peasant players are separated from us PCMR'ers, but I'm a PC gamer.

I think it's hard to judge if you'd be held back by reflexes. I mean, there's a lot of different ways you can play the game. Get in a tank and blow $&!# up. Snipe guys from a distance with patience. Run right in as Assault just guns blazing, or go as Support with a LMG and blast away, offering ammo to your teammates while blowing off mortars. Or you can be a Medic, healing your teammates and reviving guys while trying to pick off enemies at the same time.

In the beginning I sucked pretty bad. Ended up adjusting the sensitivity to my liking, and went to Medic. You can get a lot of points just healing and reviving your team while capturing flags on Conquest.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived