The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 Memorial Cup Thread

The first game is tonight, featuring London vs. Red Deer at 5 PM PST.

I'll make more of an effort a bit later. 

-----------

For Canucks fans, there's a number of notable draft eligibles in this tournament, including:

London:

Matthew Tkachuk  LW (No. 2 CSS NA):

Led all OHLers in goals (20) in the playoffs. 2nd on team in points (40) during the same period.

He's a gritty forward who likes to go to the net. Has an excellent wrister, and great on ice vision. His major knock is skating

Cliff Pu RW (No. 75 CSS NA):

Yes, this is a serious name. A bit underwhelming despite playing on a juggernaut. His most impressive stat was 13 points in 18 playoff games.

Olli Juolevi  LD (No. 5 CSS NA):

Versatile, all-around defenseman with superb skating and hockey IQ. Finished 2nd in OHL playoff scoring among defenseman with 3 G and 14 A in 18 games.

Victor Mete LD (No. 74 CSS NA):

His stock is climbing slowly, after a solid 38 points in 60 regular season games, Mete went on to produce another 11 points in the playoffs. He is however undersized at 5'10"

Tyler Parsons G (No. 3 CSS NA Goalies):

Parsons went 16-2 in the OHL playoffs with a save pct of .925. This includes 13 straight wins, setting an OHL record for playoff streak.

Red Deer:

Ryan Toth G (No. 16 CSS NA Goalies):

Toth wasn't ranked in the midseason rankings, but went on to have an impressive second half. The Memorial Cup host Red Deer Rebels made it to the WHL's Eastern Conference final before losing to the eventual champion Brandon Wheat Kings, and Toth's goaltending was a big reason they got that far. 

Jeff De Wit C (No. 80 CSS NA):

He's more of a depth centre, known for his defensive ability. Good size at 6'2"

Brandon:

- Their most notable prospect is potential 2017 1st overall Nolan Patrick who had an impressive 16 year old season.

Kale Clague LD (No. 27 CSS NA):

Clague is an offensive force, posting 43 points for the Wheat Kings. He's filled the hole left by Pilon rather well. Projects to be an early 2nd rounder, potential first if a team needs a D. 

Tanner Kaspick F (No. 79 CSS NA):

Unranked on most lists, Kaspick plays a depth role for the Wheat Kings. Good size at 6'1".

7 minutes ago, Martin Frk said:

London making a statement in the opener tonight.

Very interested to see the match up between the Wheat Kings and Huskies on Saturday. 

Red Deer will be lucky to win a game in the round robin.

Is our GM scouting the tournament?

Just now, CanuckleHorse said:

He's leaving it to Canucks.com he knows to wait until we made our decision to know who not to pick :lol:

He's so wise.  ^_^. I hear he prints out the pages of posts here and uses them.  Maybe there is nothing that is going to happen in a short tournament that will change his opinion anyway?

Tkachuk is slow.  I hope he keeps lighting it up to boost his draft profile.  At the end of the day it's all about skating. Keith was also slow but it was a different league back then. 

Yeah it's possible to get better like Bo did this year but his first step is really slow. He also plays a physical game that helps him to get points but he's under 200 pounds. Not sure how his physical game will translate to the NHL playing against men bigger than him. 

Dubois is the pick. I hope he's there at 5. 

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Tkachuk is slow.  I hope he keeps lighting it up to boost his draft profile.  At the end of the day it's all about skating. Keith was also slow but it was a different league back then. 

Yeah it's possible to get better like Bo did this year but his first step is really slow. He also plays a physical game that helps him to get points but he's under 200 pounds. Not sure how his physical game will translate to the NHL playing against men bigger than him. 

Dubois is the pick. I hope he's there at 5. 

You make some good points here, but why did Bob Mackenzie say that every scout he talked to had Tkatchuk in the top five?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You make some good points here, but why did Bob Mackenzie say that every scout he talked to had Tkatchuk in the top five?  

Just because the scouts believe in him doesn't guarantee success. JB went to personally scout Dubois. That tells me he's the guy he wanted at 4. If he can get him at 5 he'll run to the podium. 

Tkachuk may turn into an elite top line winger. He's only 17 so who knows. But a kid who lacks in the skating dept. and relies on a heavy physical game in junior to score points when he's only 195 pounds tells me he's in for a tough road ahead in the NHL if he wants to be a top line winger. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

McKenzie has had commentary / tweets through the year suggesting each of Juolevi, Chychrun & Sergachev were on the radar of particular teams who would pick each in the top 5.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:31 PM, Harvey Spector said:

Just because the scouts believe in him doesn't guarantee success. JB went to personally scout Dubois. That tells me he's the guy he wanted at 4. If he can get him at 5 he'll run to the podium. 

Tkachuk may turn into an elite top line winger. He's only 17 so who knows. But a kid who lacks in the skating dept. and relies on a heavy physical game in junior to score points when he's only 195 pounds tells me he's in for a tough road ahead in the NHL if he wants to be a top line winger. 

Hoping Edmonton takes Tkachuk. If even close I take the guy with some center experience. If they keep him at center for another year he can develop at that position. He might be the 1C prospect this org desperately needs.  

How the hell does London keep putting these juggernaut teams together? It's almost like they have free reign in the draft to pick whoever they want all at once. Even if they don't make the Mem. Cup, they're often top 10 in the entire league. You know, you got the Schremp and Perry team of early last decade. Kaner and Gagner years later. Kadri and Tavares. Now with Dvorak, Marner, Tkatchuk.

Archived