The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Puck 2016/17

We would like to see what kind of market there is for Zach Parise. We have a great F group this year, and with being pretty happy and attached to our team, Zach would be the one guy we would explore our oprions with. 

Price would be nice to acquire say a top 4 Dman but will also gladly take back forwards. Hmu if anyone has Interest even if only slight. 

5 hours ago, Mr.Miyagi said:

Anyone who likes draft picks I am looking to trade some for some depth forwards as I am in need of some.  Also some select players could be had if the forward is better. 

I should reiterate that I am looking for full-time players not players who are up and down from the minors.  Also not really looking to spend first and second round picks on these guys. 

On 7/23/2017 at 3:05 PM, Mr.Miyagi said:

9 hours ago, pmalina said:

Both moves have been completed.

Yeah, wait. What. We can just get out of our in-league contracts if the player decides to play in another league or retires IRL? What are the limits here? Like if no one signs Purcell and he doesn't play in the NHL next year, could I have just dropped him consequence free instead of buying him out? If no one signs Markov and he randomly decides to call it a career (however unlikely) am I suddenly off the hook for this year of his contract? 

Does that work for younger free agents from overseas that we sign? Can I just sign KHL guys at the slightest hint that they may come over, safe in the knowledge that I can terminate their contract if they don't play in the NHL this year? 

I am confused on this one. Enlighten us pour souls, oh knowledgeable ones!

47 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

We can terminate contracts of players not in the NHL anymore?

If that is the case, Ottawa Terminates the contract of Tyler Kennedy.

https://www.google.ca/amp/woohockey.com/tyler-kennedy-calls-it-a-career/amp/

35 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Yeah, wait. What. We can just get out of our in-league contracts if the player decides to play in another league or retires IRL? What are the limits here? Like if no one signs Purcell and he doesn't play in the NHL next year, could I have just dropped him consequence free instead of buying him out? If no one signs Markov and he randomly decides to call it a career (however unlikely) am I suddenly off the hook for this year of his contract? 

Does that work for younger free agents from overseas that we sign? Can I just sign KHL guys at the slightest hint that they may come over, safe in the knowledge that I can terminate their contract if they don't play in the NHL this year? 

I am confused on this one. Enlighten us pour souls, oh knowledgeable ones!

Any player signed while playing in North America can have their contract removed by their team if the player chooses to play in Europe or Russia.

That being said, and this decision has been made just recently after a team was involved in an extreme case of this, but if a player is signed while already playing overseas, the team that signed them cannot have their contract removed if the continue to play there.

For instance, I cannot ask for Artyom Zagidulin's contract to be removed from my books, as he is currently playing in the Magnitogorsk franchise. If Evegenii Dadonov had not signed with Florida and instead returned to the KHL, Chicago would also be on the hook for that contract.

@Captain Azzy or @somethingvery can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, that's a distinction that I can work with. And are we off the hook when they retire? Can someone outbid on an older FA by offering him an 8 year deal, then drop him the next year when he retires IRL? This is academic, as signing ancient players isn't my jam. But I like knowing how the league works. 

3 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Ok, that's a distinction that I can work with. And are we off the hook when they retire? Can someone outbid on an older FA by offering him an 8 year deal, then drop him the next year when he retires IRL? This is academic, as signing ancient players isn't my jam. But I like knowing how the league works. 

Yes, teams are off the hook once they retire.

I'd assume in negotiations that it would come up that an older player might not want to have that long of a contract (most likely preferring dollars to term), but in an extreme case, we'd probably take a longer look at it.

1 hour ago, Sygvard said:

Like if no one signs Purcell and he doesn't play in the NHL next year, could I have just dropped him consequence free instead of buying him out?

24 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Yes, teams are off the hook once they retire.

Only if you hadn't already bought them out before the irl retirement announcement, right? Otherwise we'd have Campbell off our books. 

5 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Only if you hadn't already bought them out before the irl retirement announcement, right? Otherwise we'd have Campbell off our books. 

That's right. 

@Sygvard on Purcell, you're still stuck with current free agents as well.

6 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

He retired, so yes.

To jump onto this, I've got a bunch of guys (Nick Schultz, Tanner Glass, Matt Greene, Mark Stuart, et cetera, et cetera) that are currently free agents - some of which have been rumoured to consider retirement. Until any of them officially retire or sign overseas, they stay on my roster. The only other way I can lose them is during the buyout window (which has now passed) or by trade (;)).

I didn't expect this footnote to become a OTB list, but here we are.

38 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Michael McNiven - 3 years, $950k

Sometimes amidst all of the big name trades and free agent madness, you stumble across some smaller found money and it just makes your day. This is one of those times. 

I don't know how I missed seeing Michael on my first free agent pass, but am overjoyed to fix that mistake now. I just wasn't expecting to see the OHL goalie of the year sitting unclaimed in the scrap heap. The kid has some serious chops, and plenty of room to develop. Welcome to the team kiddo. 

Thanks to @Master Mind @thejazz97 @somethingvery @Captain Azzy and the whole Scooby Squad for processing. (You get to decide who is the dog)

Archived