The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired defenceman Erik Gudbranson and Florida’s 2016 fifth round pick (NYI) in exchange for Jared McCann and the Canucks 2016 second and fourth round picks.

Gudbranson, 24, spent the 2015.16 season with the Florida Panthers, collecting nine points (2-7-9) and 49 penalty minutes in 64 games. He also appeared in six playoff games. The Ottawa, Ontario native ranked third on the Panthers in hits (150), fourth in blocked shots (73) and fourth in average ice time per game (20:06). The 2010 3rd overall NHL draft pick ranked second on the Panthers and led Florida defencemen in average ice time in the 2016 playoffs (26:54) in addition to ranking second on the team in blocked shots (8).

The 6’5”, 216-pound defenceman has collected 43 points (11-32-43) in 309 NHL regular season games over the span of five seasons with the Panthers.

On the international stage, Gudbranson earned a silver medal as a member of Canada at the 2011 World Junior Championships. He also won gold at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament in 2009.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=883998

What

2nd this year? Jesus 

I personally don't like what Benning is doing. He's trading away our younger prospects with players in the 24/25 range. Thinking it'll make the rebuild a little faster, getting matured players. I don't like that, personally. People here will obviously think differently. Iunno, I don't like Bennings trades. I want to see our players develop in our system, and play lights out with the Canucks. Not develop for a couple of years, and then boom traded for a player 2-4 years older. 

We're all praising his drafting(which is definitely really good), but what players will he have left to draft with him trading away a lot of our picks? How many has he traded, 6 I think? And we've received what? 2 or 3 back? 

Second edit: This trade though, isn't bad. I'm more mad about losing the 2nd and the 4th, than losing McCann. I like Gudbranson, and our D definitely just got waaaaaaaaay more bigger. I'm excited for him to lay it down on McJesus, Hall and Johnny G. This doesn't make how I feel about his GMing different, I still don't like what he's doing. Just this one time, I'm good. 

Archived