The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

I think the line The Lock was referring to was "Sergachev being the top defenseman at the draft." 

You have it quoted right there, but decide to focus on just the first half of the sentence. I read his post as him saying Sergachev was the best defensemen at the draft, and they could have been a toss up on who went first.

I didnt focus on it on it because he clearly said that was his “personal” opinion. If he said it was scouting opinion people you might have a point but according to what he said, some people made a jump to conclusion by misreading and not understanding the point that was made. That’s on lock and yourself not on canucklehead.

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I didnt focus on it on it because he clearly said that was his “personal” opinion. If he said it was scouting opinion people you might have a point but according to what he said, some people made a jump to conclusion by misreading and not understanding the point that was made. That’s on lock and yourself not on canucklehead.

It doesn't seem like you've fully been reading this thread. Take a look at the following:

On 12/2/2017 at 1:30 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Shinkaruk trade worked out well, but still don't like the Gudbranson trade and the Juolevi pick. At the time Tkachuk was the obvious pick, with Sergachev being the top defenseman at the draft. 

He's clearly mostly been talking about Sergachev and he put the comparison of Sergachev and Juolevi in the same quote that I quoted from earlier.

Besides saying Tkuchuk is the obvious pick is just plain silly. If he merely said "I would have prefered Tkachuk" then no one can argue with that, but to say it's the "obvious choice" creates a fallacy as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

11 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

ps, Craig button, future considerations, iss, and na central scouting had sergachev ahead of Juolevi in there ranking in June. 

You can see a collaborated list at

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Thanks for at least finding that.

Still, that doesn't translate to "most scouts". lol

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

He wasn't talking about Sergachev he was talking about Tkachuk, which you yourself validated with the links you provided.  Try reading it again. 

"At the time Tkachuk was the obvious pick,"

“Maybe replace obvious with best player available according to most scouts at the time.”

"Sergachev over Juolevi is more a matter of my personal opinion."

Clearly the discussion about "most scouts" is on Tkachuk,. 

I agree with most things you say on here, I think you're a good poster but I just think you're misreading the player of discussion on this one.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He wasn't talking about Sergachev he was talking about Tkachuk, which you yourself validated with the links you provided.  Try reading it again. 

"At the time Tkachuk was the obvious pick,"

“Maybe replace obvious with best player available according to most scouts at the time.”

"Sergachev over Juolevi is more a matter of my personal opinion."

Clearly the discussion about "most scouts" is on Tkachuk,. 

I agree with most things you say on here, I think you're a good poster but I just think you're misreading the player of discussion on this one.

Thanks for clarifying what I was saying, you are right.

Tkachuk was the highest ranked player available at 5th. We passed on him for a defenseman, which was a greater organizational need.

I preferred Sergachev over Juolevi, but as most rankings had Juolevi higher it makes sense why we took him.

At the time I suggested we trade down to 8 or 9 and try to get an extra pick as 6th was too high to draft Sergachev. 

I preferred Sergachev because he has potential to be a more exciting, dynamic defenseman. Juolevi was the safer pick due to his poised and consistent game 

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Thanks for clarifying what I was saying, you are right.

Tkachuk was the highest ranked player available at 5th. We passed on him for a defenseman, which was a greater organizational need.

I preferred Sergachev over Juolevi, but as most rankings had Juolevi higher it makes sense why we took him.

At the time I suggested we trade down to 8 or 9 and try to get an extra pick as 6th was too high to draft Sergachev. 

I preferred Sergachev because he has potential to be a more exciting, dynamic defenseman. Juolevi was the safer pick due to his poised and consistent game 

Sergachev is Russian too.  I wonder if that (sometimes) lessens the player’s value?  

16 hours ago, The Lock said:

lol you misread about who he was referring to and you are still going on and on about it.. and usually in the draft there's the top elite tier.. and then there's the top tiers.. usually in the top tiers.. their ranking can be up and down a few spots and it doesn't even matter because they are just that close

Archived