The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

Not a fan of giving up the 2nd but I don't hate the deal entirely. I kinda of like Gudbranson despite wavering reports on how good/what he is.

I think this trade addresses our need, but it was fairly hefty price to do so.

To me this means 2 things:

1) Hamhuis is definitely not coming back (not a fan of that)

2) They want PLD and/or Tkatchuk with the fifth pick.

We will see, so far I'm 50/50 on it, gave up very valuable future assets but Gudbranson is a nice addition to this team.

My only other issue besides giving up the 2nd is we now have a logjam at defense, and with JBs track record of giving away young players that he doesn't think fit with our group for nothing, that worries me.

I always knew McCann wasn't gonna stick around. Always had a gut feeling, so really not surprised. Satisfied with this trade. Gudbranson is still young, has potential, and is exactly what we need. Good trade. The 2nd is steep but eh, I can swallow it. 

Gudbranson is exactly what we need but at the price of McCann + picks we should have gotten more than just him.  We should give Gudbranson a legitimate chance in our top 4 to develop into that mean shutdown dman that we've been missing for years.  Good luck to McCann in Florida, will thrive with talented forwards surrounding him.

Still a joke of a trade...Gudbranson will not live up to his 3rd overall pick billing.  At best a #3, most likely a #4/5, possibly worse.

(not actual pairings) - but that is basically our defence group signed long-term, young compared to previous eras

Tryamkin - Gudbranson

Edler - Hutton

Sbisa - Tanev

Pedan 

expect 2-3 of them to be traded in the following two seasons

Not bad. Not a fan of trading away the 2nd rounder. 

Welcome Gudbranson!

Welcome to the "you're forever linked to the Kesler trade".

I liked McCann a lot.  But I will take Gudbranson anyday.  Gudbranson is a legit beast of a top 3 dman on any team who can play on the top pairing.  He played an average of 26 minutes a night for Florida in the playoffs.  He may not be as offensively gifted as we need in a dman right now, but defensively he is everything and more.  Hes a true leader, that hits, and can skate.  Can't wait to see him in a Nucks uni.  To that poster who compared him to Sbisa, you've clearly never seen Gudbranson play.  He was drafted 3rd overall for a reason.  The guy can flat out play hockey.  

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

I love how Benning gave Garrison away basically then over pays out the *** for Gudbranson.  This guy is a moron.

K dude. We just got a 24 year old former 3rd OA defenseman who is rock solid. Garrison was an overpaid underachiever, who we had to give away to not eat any salary. Apples to Oranges. I'm happy with the trade.

3 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I always knew McCann wasn't gonna stick around. Always had a gut feeling, so really not surprised. Satisfied with this trade. Gudbranson is still young, has potential, and is exactly what we need. Good trade. The 2nd is steep but eh, I can swallow it. 

Yeah, me too. You could feel it coming. 

I bet we hear that there was some locker room drama near the end of the year. (my random speculation)

Archived