The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

2 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Given what Chia got for Hall, I think the Kesler math only continues to look better and JB should be celebrated for what he's pulled off.

yeah, perhaps the tankers and haters should move on. Benning isn't tanking and he's not an idiot, so the few people around here repeating his better moves only serve to balance it out a little against the background of a constant Eastern troll cacophony.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah, perhaps the tankers and haters should move on. Benning isn't tanking and he's not an idiot, so the few people around here repeating his better moves only serve to balance it out a little against the background of a constant Eastern troll cacophony.

One person's cacophony is another's euphony. B)

On July 13, 2016 at 2:04 AM, Rush17 said:

The fact Canner added 25 pounds has me slightly worried we are gonna regret the deal. but we got a player we need so in that sense im happy with the deal.  Just sucks too see someone you trade away get soo solid.

I wouldn't count so much on that.

• 2 weeks later...

the Canucks could have made this offer 5 months ago and it will be turned down.  Dale Tallon had no business in trading him away.

Mike Gilis attempted to trade for him 3 years ago.

Jim Benning attempted to trade for him again.  Talon said no

no one is saying that JB turned a whiny Kesler into a Brandon Sutter and a top 4 BIG D in Gudbranson, because he is the worst gm in the league right? 

but but but we lose, because we also forked up a 2nd rounder.  2nd rounders are the savior of franchises.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2016 at 4:19 AM, iinatcc said:

Not sure if this was posted here. Sorry if it already did but looks like according to NHL 16 Vancouver lost the trade

Sorry for the bump but remember I posted this here months ago.

So I  got super good news playing NHL 17 right now and I am currently in the 2017 to 2018 season in my Franchise Mode and here is the analysis between Gudbranson and McCann

Looks like Benning might have won the trade afterall

14691180_10154572666113899_3915489836460215182_o - Copy.jpg

14691425_10154572665593899_785668317881467795_o - Copy.jpg

49 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So I  got super good news playing NHL 17 right now and I am currently in the 2017 to 2018 season in my Franchise Mode and here is the analysis between Gudbranson and McCann

Quality defense are at a premium right now, they hold more value than forwards.

Hated to see McCann go, and wish him the best, but this was a necessary trade.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Just based on trade value and overall potential, we won the trade hands down. Defencemen come at a premium nowa days as they don't grow on trees. It's better than PC trading Taylor frking Hall for Larsson

8 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Just based on trade value and overall potential, we won the trade hands down. Defencemen come at a premium nowa days as they don't grow on trees. It's better than PC trading Taylor frking Hall for Larsson

We got a proven 26 + minute top shut down, big, and tough dman.  And we gave up NOTHING.  McCann won't become an NHL player.  Florida sucks, and will not make the playoffs this season.  They are stupid.  We laugh at them.  Oh, and the Coilers suck too.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

We got a proven 26 + minute top shut down, big, and tough dman.  And we gave up NOTHING.  McCann won't become an NHL player.  Florida sucks, and will not make the playoffs this season.  They are stupid.  We laugh at them.  Oh, and the Coilers suck too.

Gudbranson is more of a top 4 then McCann being a NHL regular.  We were the worst team in the league, with injuries yet he still had problems  cracking our top 12.

In both short and long-term perspectives, I feel like the Canucks can say that they won the trade (or at least they likely won't lose).  

The team has found a big-minute role for Erik, and even from one game he's doing pretty well.  Being decently mobile, physical and solid, he's been reliable and even able to join attacks when given the opportunity.  Short of Tryamkin or other right-side D-men sweeping management off their feet, I think the team has acquired a very reliable foundational asset who would be tough to remove from a prominent role in the roster for the foreseeable future and one who could take on a leadership role as the current core passes the torch.  

Meanwhile, I'm not sure Florida is giving Jared an environment where he'll have many opportunities to show that he can be a major contributor that he could be.  The reason I say this is that, as a team on the ascent, the young core that's emerging up front on the Panthers is not much older than Jared, and thus will stick around and continue to play major roles unless Jared supplants any of them (Huberdeau, Marchessault at LW; Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck at center; Smith at RW).  Of course Jussi and Jagr will move on in a couple of seasons' time, but with all the years of high draft position I would be surprised if there wasn't more competition for roster spots from intriguing but lesser-known prospects (e.g. who's this Denis Malgin guy who's a 4th round pick but playing more minutes per night than Jared? Who's to say that there aren't more guys on the cusp of making the NHL?).  Even with Hubie and Bjugstad out, he's still only been playing around 10 minutes per night, and ice time will be even harder to come by once those two stars are back.  Long story short, he'll be in a dogfight to earn and keep a major spot up front, and if he doesn't work on his strength he might not be suitable to play on the wing in a more grinding bottom-6 role, while he might not have the flexibility to play center or wing if his face-offs don't improve.  

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

In both short and long-term perspectives, I feel like the Canucks can say that they won the trade (or at least they likely won't lose).  

The team has found a big-minute role for Erik, and even from one game he's doing pretty well.  Being decently mobile, physical and solid, he's been reliable and even able to join attacks when given the opportunity.  Short of Tryamkin or other right-side D-men sweeping management off their feet, I think the team has acquired a very reliable foundational asset who would be tough to remove from a prominent role in the roster for the foreseeable future and one who could take on a leadership role as the current core passes the torch.  

Meanwhile, I'm not sure Florida is giving Jared an environment where he'll have many opportunities to show that he can be a major contributor that he could be.  The reason I say this is that, as a team on the ascent, the young core that's emerging up front on the Panthers is not much older than Jared, and thus will stick around and continue to play major roles unless Jared supplants any of them (Huberdeau, Marchessault at LW; Barkov, Bjugstad, Trocheck at center; Smith at RW).  Of course Jussi and Jagr will move on in a couple of seasons' time, but with all the years of high draft position I would be surprised if there wasn't more competition for roster spots from intriguing but lesser-known prospects (e.g. who's this Denis Malgin guy who's a 4th round pick but playing more minutes per night than Jared? Who's to say that there aren't more guys on the cusp of making the NHL?).  Even with Hubie and Bjugstad out, he's still only been playing around 10 minutes per night, and ice time will be even harder to come by once those two stars are back.  Long story short, he'll be in a dogfight to earn and keep a major spot up front, and if he doesn't work on his strength he might not be suitable to play on the wing in a more grinding bottom-6 role, while he might not have the flexibility to play center or wing if his face-offs don't improve.  

One game into the season and you write an analytical nowitall novel?

Must be a blast having you around...

Archived