The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predict your roster for next year

Sedin Brothers

Brouwer signed at 5 mil. Eriksson signed at 6 mil. Sbisa traded for a pick. Burrows and Higgins bought out. Virtanen starts in Utica.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson (20 mil.)

Brouwer - Sutter - Hansen (12 mil.)

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin (4.5 mil.)

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett (5 mil.)

Gaunce (1 mil.)

Formards = approx. 42.5 mil

Edler - Tanev (9.5 mil.)

Hutton - Gudbranson (4.5 mil)

Tryamkin - Larsen (2 mil.)

Biega Pedan (1.5mil)

Defensemen = approx. 17.5 mil.

Burrows + Higgins buyouts = 3.3 mil.

Total cap hit approx. 63.3 mil.

Dank - Vey - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Gaunce - Rodin

Dorsett - Granlund - Burrows

Hutton - Gudbranson

Subban - Tanev

Tryamkin - Sbisa

This will be the lineup halfway through the season when we stack up injuries like we did this past year.

5 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Brouwer signed at 5 mil. Eriksson signed at 6 mil. Sbisa traded for a pick. Burrows and Higgins bought out. Virtanen starts in Utica.

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin (4.5 mil.)

Gaunce (1 mil.)

Formards = approx. 42.5 mil

Edler - Tanev (9.5 mil.)

Hutton - Gudbranson (4.5 mil)

Biega Pedan (1.5mil)

Defensemen = approx. 17.5 mil.

Burrows + Higgins buyouts = 3.3 mil.

It doesn't seem like there is enough cap to bring in 2 free agents this summer. Even if Sbisa gets traded plus there are discussions to bring back Hamhuis who will command likely more than Sbisa.

Miller - Markstrom 7.55

Luongo retention 0.8

Estimated cap hit - 71.7 mil

In a year - start 2017/18:

Baertschi - (Horvat) - Rodin (3.5 mil.)

Gaunce (1 mil.)

Formards = approx. 41.5 mil w/o Horvat

Edler - Tanev (9.5 mil.)

(Hutton - Gudbranson) (-)

Biega Pedan (1.5mil)

Defensemen = approx. 13 mil w/o Hutton & Gudbranson

Burrows + Higgins buyouts + Luongo retention = 2.4 mil.

Total cap hit approx. 57 mil. for 18 players

If the cap is at 75M - it leaves only 18M for:

- Gudbranson with 1 year left to free agency

- Markstrom UFA and designated #1

- Hutton and Horvat coming off their ELCs

- Backup goalie

- Raises to Etem, Gaunce, Pedan, Tryamkin, Rodin and Larsen

I wouldn't worry about raises for Etem, Gaunce, Pedan, Rodin and Larsen. I doubt they get that much of a raise, and if they do they'll be traded.

18 million is plenty of cap space to go around with the possibility of trading Hansen still to make it over 20 million. Especially if they get Markstrom and Gudbranson locked up this summer at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is they've got tons of cap space to work with and they're not going to ice a worse roster next season out of fear of players getting raises. That's why you don't give out no trade clauses to every player.

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wouldn't worry about raises for Etem, Gaunce, Pedan, Rodin and Larsen. I doubt they get that much of a raise, and if they do they'll be traded.

18 million is plenty of cap space to go around with the possibility of trading Hansen still to make it over 20 million. Especially if they get Markstrom and Gudbranson locked up this summer at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is they've got tons of cap space to work with and they're not going to ice a worse roster next season out of fear of players getting raises. That's why you don't give out no trade clauses to every player.

The important players are

- Gudbranson

- Hutton

- Horvat

- Markstrom

carve out roughly 3M for raises to Tryamkin & Co. and to add a backup goalie.  That's 15M only.  Trade Hansen and replace him by an ELC - that's 16.5M.

If they keep Hamhuis or Sbisa - then it's even less than the amounts listed.  

6 minutes ago, mll said:

- Gudbranson

- Hutton

- Horvat

- Markstrom

carve out roughly 3M for raises to Tryamkin & Co. and to add a backup goalie.  That's 15M only.  Trade Hansen and replace him by an ELC - that's 16.5M.

Good thing they're all RFA's at the end of next season and can have their salaries kept at a reasonable price.

In two seasons 14 million will be coming off the books from the Sedins. Whether or not the retire by then remains to be seen, but there's a good chance if they do re-sign it will be short term with smaller cap hits.

Again not worried about it. Gotta take advantage of ELCs while you can and worry about clearing space later.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

- Gudbranson

- Hutton

- Horvat

- Markstrom

Let's wait a bit longer than 15 games before talking about raises.

Don't count the chickens until they hatch.

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We would have roughly up to 12.4M to 15M in cap space, plus or minus a little. We currently have 59M in cap with the current roster(with unsigned RFAs).

NHL said in March cap will approximate be where it is now(71.4M) up to 74M. NHLPA can initiate its 5% escalator to increase the cap. They have only not done it once in the cap era and that was during the 2006-07 season. 

As it stands we likely can sign the RFAs we want back, even with 12M, as most will be getting 1 year or bridge contracts. On top of re-signing our RFAs we can look at the UFA market and start to consider whether we want to re-sign Hamhuis(And it seems JB does want him back but at what price?).

That 2017-18 off-season will be a bigger one than this IMO. Gudbranson, Gaunce, Tryamkin Horvat and Hutton become RFAs and Markstrom will be an upcoming UFA. I am sure some of those signings could get done during this off-season and during this upcoming NHL season.

We are not in a bad spot cap wise moving forward. Gotta love them ELCs!

Most of these predictions that have 2 UFA signings i am 99% do not fit under the cap.

Would need to trade and/or buyout Higgins and Burrows, as well as lose Millers Cap to come close to accommodating two big UFA forward signings because they will demand a lot of $$ as usual

38 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Let's wait a bit longer than 15 games before talking about raises.

Don't count the chickens until they hatch.

An estimate after a full season (we are talking of summer 2017) of 3M for raises to Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen, Rodin, Gaunce, Etem and to add a backup goalie is pretty reasonable I would think. 

The point is that there is unlikely to be enough cap to add 2 expensive UFAs this summer because of the situation in a year.  

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Most of these predictions that have 2 UFA signings i am 99% do not fit under the cap.

Would need to trade and/or buyout Higgins and Burrows, as well as lose Millers Cap to come close to accommodating two big UFA forward signings because they will demand a lot of $$ as usual

Sedin Sedin Brouwer

Ladd Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Rodin

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gubranson

Hamhuis Tryamkin

Pedan Biega

Miller

Markstrom

With Brouwer signing at 4.25, Ladd signing at 6 million, Baertschi re-signing at 1.75, and Etem and Pedan both re-signing at about 900k, that roster comes in at roughly 68 million.

31 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Unlikely.  There's about 59M tied up right now - assuming Burrows gets bought out and replaced by Gaunce.

Sedin 7 Sedin 7 Hansen 2.5

Baertschi tbd - Sutter 4.4 - UFA tbd

Etem tbd - Horvat 0.9 - Dorsett 2.65

Gaunce 0.9 - Granlund 0.9 - Virtanen 0.9

Rodin 0.95

Edler 5 - Tanev 4.45

Hutton 0.9  - Gudbranson 3.5

Sbisa 3.6 - Tryamkin 0.9

Biega 0.75 - Larsen tbd

Miller 6 - Markstrom 1.55

Luongo 0.8 - Higgins 0.83 - Burrows 2.5

19 players (10F + 7D + 2G + penalties): roughly 59M

So at a cap of 71M it leaves about 12M to add 4 players / less if they trade Sbisa and bring back Hamhuis

UFA, Baertschi, Etem, Larsen to be added

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Unlikely.  There's about 59M tied up right now - assuming Burrows gets bought out and replaced by Gaunce.

Sedin 7 Sedin 7 Hansen 2.5

Baertschi tbd - Sutter 4.4 - UFA tbd

Etem tbd - Horvat 0.9 - Dorsett 2.65

Gaunce 0.9 - Granlund 0.9 - Virtanen 0.9

Rodin 0.95

Edler 5 - Tanev 4.45

Hutton 0.9  - Gudbranson 3.5

Sbisa 3.6 - Tryamkin 0.9

Biega 0.75 - Larsen tbd

Miller 6 - Markstrom 1.55

Luongo 0.8 - Higgins 0.83 - Burrows 2.5

19 players (10F + 7D + 2G + penalties): roughly 59M

So at a cap of 71M it leaves about 12M to add 4 players / less if they trade Sbisa and bring back Hamhuis

UFA, Baertschi, Etem, Larsen to be added

The roster you posted adds up to about 61 million with players re-signing and the penalties. With Baerstchi at roughly 1.75 for 1 year, and Pedan and Etem at 950k.

That leaves around 10 million to sign two top 6 forwards (-900k because they'd be replacing Gaunce or Rodin)

Also the Burrows buyout isn't 2.5 million either. It's two thirds of his salary (not his cap hit) over 2 years. His salary next season is 3 million, so it makes the penalty 1.98.

And this is assuming the cap will only go up to 71 million which is unlikely.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The roster you posted adds up to about 61 million with players re-signing and the penalties. With Baerstchi at roughly 1.75 for 1 year, and Pedan and Etem at 950k.

That leaves around 10 million to sign two top 6 forwards (-900k because they'd be replacing Gaunce or Rodin)

Also the Burrows buyout isn't 2.5 million either. It's two thirds of his salary (not his cap hit) over 2 years. His salary next season is 3 million, so makes the penalty 1.98.

And this assuming the cap will only go up to 71 million which is unlikely.

In fact it is - many of these cap websites have cap calculators so you can easily verify my numbers.

The cap penalty is cap hit less salary savings.  The buyout salary is 2/3rd of 3M spread over 2 years - so 2x1M (c).

a. Cap hit      b. Salary     c. Buyout salary      d. Salary savings (b-c)    e. Buyout cap hit (a-d)

2016/17        4.5M              3M                 1M                                     2M                            2.5M

2017/18         -                    -                     1M                                   -1M                             1M

--------

The problem is still the year after when Gudbranson, Hutton, Horvat and Markstrom need to be re-signed.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

In fact it is - many of these cap websites have cap calculators so you can easily verify my numbers.

The cap penalty is cap hit less salary savings.  The buyout salary is 2/3rd of 3M spread over 2 years - so 2x1M (c).

a. Cap hit      b. Salary     c. Buyout salary      d. Salary savings (b-c)    e. Buyout cap hit (a-d)

2016/17        4.5M              3M                 1M                                     2M                            2.5M

2017/18         -                    -                     1M                                   -1M                             1M

--------

The problem is still the year after when Gudbranson, Hutton, Horvat and Markstrom need to be re-signed.

Fair enough, but technically the cap is slated at 71.4 million so that almost erases that extra 500k anyways.

And that's before the NHLPA is likely to increase the cap.

Hutton and Horvat are RFAs so their salary can be controlled. With Miller's 6 million coming off the books and the option to move Hansen and/or Sbisa as our young guys become NHL ready (Boeser/Dubois/Stecher/Subban) it won't be a problem.

And then one year after their bridge deals, the Sedins 14 million will come off the books.

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sedin Sedin Brouwer

Ladd Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Rodin

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gubranson

Hamhuis Tryamkin

Pedan Biega

Miller

Markstrom

With Brouwer signing at 4.25, Ladd signing at 6 million, Baertschi re-signing at 1.75, and Etem and Pedan both re-signing at about 900k, that roster comes in at roughly 68 million.

I think Brouwer at 4.25 is realistic but not UFA realistic, he will get more sadly I think.

Ladd could get more too.

But most of the predictions have had Stamkos + another, Okposo + another etc all with Miller too

Yours is realistic but it still requires a lot and I am not sure if I like it.

Both players will be signing at market discounts, less than they could elsewhere, which is hypothetically possible if they want to play in BC.

Would need to trade Sbisa and not take any salary back.

Would need a combo of trades and buyout for Higgins and Burr

And would need to Resign Hammer at a discount

And then you have to make peace with spending 10+ million on aging vets who are likley to score 40 points each, and ladd was very unimpressive in the playoffs which is concerning

If it was up to me the team would look like this at the start of next season:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Tkachuk-Sutter-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Tryamkin-Subban

Miller
Markstrom

On May 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM, thejazz97 said:
Daniel Sedin Henrik Sedin Jannik Hansen
Sven Baertschi Brandon Sutter Jake Virtanen
Emerson Etem Bo Horvat Anton Rodin
Markus Granlund Brendan Gaunce Derek Dorsett

Linden Vey

Alex Edler Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton Erik Gudbranson
Dan Hamhuis Nikita Tryamkin
Luca Sbisa Philip Larsen

Jacob Markstrom

Ryan Miller

I think this is close but Benning lands one of Brouwer or Eriksson. I realize Dorsett a RW but he can be moved over to LW, lets face it, it won't change his point total or overall effectiveness. I also realize Brouer isn't a top line guy, but on our team next year with the twins it makes as much sense as Hansen and I think he'll have more push back than Hansen (I'm not knocking Hansen, I just think Brouwer has a bit more of that). I also think Sbisa gets moved and Gaunce might be the sweetener in a deal for a mid-1st round pick. Here's a good article on why: https://thecanuckway.com/2016/05/31/vancouver-canucks-trade-proposals-luca-sbisa-edition/

Daniel Sedin Henrik Sedin Eriksson/Brouwer
Sven Baertschi Brandon Sutter Anton Rodin
Emerson Etem Bo Horvat Hansen
Dorsett Markus Granlund Jake Virtanen

Linden Vey

Alex Edler Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton Erik Gudbranson
Dan Hamhuis Nikita Tryamkin
Pedan Philip Larsen

Jacob Markstrom

Ryan Miller

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Benning was talking about adding 2 guys in FA, but I think he landed one of them via trade in GudBranson so I think we're actually down to one major 1 FA signing. With the D trade Benning can concentrate on landing a RW for the twins and locking up some of the core like you mentioned. 

I'd prefer to see Benning spend more on some bridging deals with guys like Horvat vs going after additional guys over and above a RW like Eriksson for the 1st line. 

Archived