The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predict your roster for next year

Sedin Brothers

Let's say we can land both Eriksson and Boedker...

1 Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson (really good 1st line with awesome history from team Sweden)

2 Etem - Sutter - Boedker (speedy and tough 2nd line which will hold up (defensively) against the oppositions 2nd)

3 Baer - Bo - Jake (will do wonders against easier lines)

4 Dorsett - Granlund - Hansen (excellent 4th line)

1 Edler - Tanev

2 Gudbranson - Hutton

3 Tryamkin - Sbisa (or Larsen/Troy)

Here are my line up predictions, starting with some context:

• in the next few days, Ottawa trades Boston for Eriksson's rights and is successful signing him prior to the draft 
  • In response, a panicked Benning acquires Lucic's rights for a 2017 4th, and signs him to a 5 year, $35M deal, incensing many on CDC
    • The deal is structured so that Lucic makes just less than the Sedins in their current contract ($6.75M, $6.75M, $7M, $7M, $7.5M)
  • On July 1st, quality two-way UFA's (e.g. Brouwer, Ladd) sign for $5M+.  Unable to compete, Benning re-signs Etem as his two-way FA
  • Benning buys out Burrows to make room for younger players, and avoid benching the dragon slayer

Sedin Sedin Rodin - Not the all-Swede first line we expected.  Rodin impresses at camp, but also gets a long look with the twins to increase his value (since he is waiver-eligible). Rodin surprises many by being stronger/more physical than expected (but...but...he's European!), which leads to reasonable success with the twins (25g). Lucic is paired with the twins on the 1st unit power play to create space for their cycle game. 

Lucic Sutter Virtanen - This line develops chemistry as a match-up line that scores (modestly) off an aggressive forecheck and counter-attack opportunities. Lucic and Virtanen get competitive with their hitting, creating endless entertainment and 'local boy' content for the Canucks' marketing department.  The two entice Ryan Johansen to sign with Vancouver the following year, to complete the WCE 2.0 - drifted into fantasy there, forgive me. 

Baertschi Horvat Hansen -  The Honey Badger's aggressive forecheck, and 3rd pairing opposition D, allow Sven and Bo to take a step forward offensively and further develop their chemistry.  Baertschi and Horvat get 2nd unit PP time with Rodin, allowing them to score 20g each from the 3rd line (with the occasional top 6 rotation to fill in for injuries).

Etem Granlund Dorsett - Deployed as a development line and given more minutes than a traditional 4th; Dorsett provides grit and mentorship, allowing Etem and Granlund to find consistency in their game. Gaunce provides competition and depth for both Etem and Granlund, while Dorsett enjoys the security of his generous contract. 

Edler  Gudbranson - While originally tried with Hutton, Erik proves too Gud for the 2nd pair, but has the intended effect on Edler:  allowing him to take more offensive chances by playing solid stay-at-home defense. With Gudbranson on his line (and the addition of Lucic), Edler regains his confidence in throwing big hits.   

Hutton Tanev - Tanev's calm and reliability allow Hutton to focus on offense. Tanev thrives on being matched up against opponents' 2nd lines, and tests his improved shot on the 2nd unit powerplay.  

Tryamkin Larsen - Larsen is signed and dressed almost exclusively to run the 1st unit power play, and has modest success wearing Salo's old #6.  Tryamkin comes to camp in good shape, and (with his skating and reach) proves to be the best DFD pairing to compliment him, leaving Sbisa and Pedan as depth. 

Miller - kept on for stability until the trade deadline, but ultimately replaced with a strong backup goalie later this year or in the off season. 

Markstrom - Competes with Miller throughout the year, earning nearly half the starts with his solid play. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Here are my line up predictions, starting with some context:

• in the next few days, Ottawa trades Boston for Eriksson's rights and is successful signing him prior to the draft 
  • In response, a panicked Benning acquires Lucic's rights for a 2017 4th, and signs him to a 5 year, $35M deal, incensing many on CDC
    • The deal is structured so that Lucic makes just less than the Sedins in their current contract ($6.75M, $6.75M, $7M, $7M, $7.5M)
  • On July 1st, quality two-way UFA's (e.g. Brouwer, Ladd) sign for $5M+.  Unable to compete, Benning re-signs Etem as his two-way FA
  • Benning buys out Burrows to make room for younger players, and avoid benching the dragon slayer

Sedin Sedin Rodin - Not the all-Swede first line we expected.  Rodin impresses at camp, but also gets a long look with the twins to increase his value (since he is waiver-eligible). Rodin surprises many by being stronger/more physical than expected (but...but...he's European!), which leads to reasonable success with the twins (25g). Lucic is paired with the twins on the 1st unit power play to create space for their cycle game. 

Lucic Sutter Virtanen - This line develops chemistry as a match-up line that scores (modestly) off an aggressive forecheck and counter-attack opportunities. Lucic and Virtanen get competitive with their hitting, creating endless entertainment and 'local boy' content for the Canucks' marketing department.  The two entice Ryan Johansen to sign with Vancouver the following year, to complete the WCE 2.0 - drifted into fantasy there, forgive me. 

Baertschi Horvat Hansen -  The Honey Badger's aggressive forecheck, and 3rd pairing opposition D, allow Sven and Bo to take a step forward offensively and further develop their chemistry.  Baertschi and Horvat get 2nd unit PP time with Rodin, allowing them to score 20g each from the 3rd line (with the occasional top 6 rotation to fill in for injuries).

Etem Granlund Dorsett - Deployed as a development line and given more minutes than a traditional 4th; Dorsett provides grit and mentorship, allowing Etem and Granlund to find consistency in their game. Gaunce provides competition and depth for both Etem and Granlund, while Dorsett enjoys the security of his generous contract. 

Edler  Gudbranson - While originally tried with Hutton, Erik proves too Gud for the 2nd pair, but has the intended effect on Edler:  allowing him to take more offensive chances by playing solid stay-at-home defense. With Gudbranson on his line (and the addition of Lucic), Edler regains his confidence in throwing big hits.   

Hutton Tanev - Tanev's calm and reliability allow Hutton to focus on offense. Tanev thrives on being matched up against opponents' 2nd lines, and tests his improved shot on the 2nd unit powerplay.  

Tryamkin Larsen - Larsen is signed and dressed almost exclusively to run the 1st unit power play, and has modest success wearing Salo's old #6.  Tryamkin comes to camp in good shape, and (with his skating and reach) proves to be the best DFD pairing to compliment him, leaving Sbisa and Pedan as depth. 

Miller - kept on for stability until the trade deadline, but ultimately replaced with a strong backup goalie later this year or in the off season. 

Markstrom - Competes with Miller throughout the year, earning nearly half the starts with his solid play. 

Over payment for Lucic.

My heart weeps for the Sedins.

Just now, Progressive Hockey said:

Sedin Sedin Brower

Boedker Horvat Hansen

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Gaunce/Rodin

Edler Gudbranson

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Tryamkin

Pedan

I like the looks of this lineup. Maybe just Tanev as 2 D and Guddy to 4 D and i concur. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I like the looks of this lineup. Maybe just Tanev as 2 D and Guddy to 4 D and i concur. 

The Sedins and Brower are a puck posession cycle nightmare for teams to handle down low. Other 3 lines all have lots of speed.

Everyone assumes Guddy will be second pairing but I think with Edler would be a great shutdown pairing for other teams top lines. Those guys could play a ton. Tanev although great positionally does not play opposing forwards tough, where as Guddy could make guys like Hall, Eberle, Goudreau, Monahan, etc punished every time they enter the zone. 

11 minutes ago, Dragonass said:

Sedin -Sedin- Eriksson

Sutter -Hanzal-Hanson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett

Etem

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Biega-Tryamkin

Pedan

Miller

Markstrom

We trade Sbisa  Higgins and #5 for Hanzal #7 and #20

Arizona gives up a quality centreman and two first rounders for a 5/6 defenceman and a vet who couldn't crack our roster in the latter half of the season last year? Just to move up 2 picks? Lol. K. 

To the OP, I think we stand pat on the 5th and go from there. I'm happy with either of Tkachuk or PLD and would be excited for either to impress in a big way and get 39 with us this season. I wouldn't like us to keep them on a la Virtanen and McCann, and sent back to junior to finish the year. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Rodin Sutter Eriksson

Baer Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Tryamkin

Pedan/Biega

Markstrom

Miller

Just now, ThaShady1 said:

Arizona gives up a quality centreman and two first rounders for a 5/6 defenceman and a vet who couldn't crack our roster in the latter half of the season last year? Just to move up 2 picks? Lol. K. 

His contract is up next year and they have already asked him for a list of teams he would trade to. They have few vets and almost no D . Check out there depth chart but Tkachuk would have to be there at #5 for it to happen, so ya a long shot.

Just now, Dragonass said:

His contract is up next year and they have already asked him for a list of teams he would trade to. They have few vets and almost no D . Check out there depth chart but Tkachuk would have to be there at #5 for it to happen, so ya a long shot.

Sure, but it doesn't mean they'd give us that much. If we send them what you offered, Hanzal and the 7th, MAYBE. More likely the 20th. But we don't need more centreman. Assuming we draft PLD we would have 6 already fighting for 4 spots. 

5 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Did you trade Hansen?

Yep I'm on the trade Hansen for picks fence. I love Hansen but this could be a wonderful spot to sell high and spend our huge cap space on two more offensively gifted players for our top 6 while also helping towards the future. Also Hansen is a free agent in two years. We should trade him while his value is at its highest and when he hits the market in 2 years sign him back. Feel this move would show excellent asset management.

5 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Sure, but it doesn't mean they'd give us that much. If we send them what you offered, Hanzal and the 7th, MAYBE. More likely the 20th. But we don't need more centreman. Assuming we draft PLD we would have 6 already fighting for 4 spots. 

Linden has said he believes all you draft are d and centers, remember when he played for Pat we had a two centers on our top three lines. As far as the price your probably right , we might have to add to the package .

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Lucic Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce Etem/Dorsett

Hamhuis Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Sbisa

Pedan Larson

Miller

Markstrom

Offseason moves...

Trade Edler at draft for Bean

Sign Lucic 3 years $7M

Sign Eriksson 4 years $6M (NTC)

Sign Hamhuis 3 years $2.5M (NTC)

I some how wonder if Ladd is going to fit into JB's thinking. He has a rat factor that JB seems to appreciate. The other maybe less high end signing may be McGinn another "rat factor" player. One of the things  needed to change  on the team is attitude. I think Ladd and McGinn might go a long way to correcting this along with Gudbranson, Virtanen, Tryamkin and Pedan.

Archived