StealthNuck

Sven Baertschi | #47 | LW

Hopefully Baertschi can build form his pretty good rookie season with the Canucks. He needs to play good defence and from that will create his offence. I expect something like 17G-25A for 37 Points. I would like to see him on the First PP unit with the Sedins like we saw for a few games last season. Weather he plays with Horvat again (praying) or he plays with Sutter I think Baertschi will prove he was worth that 2nd round pick if he hasn't already. Big Fan of his!!!

I think I'd rather see him with Sutter and Rodin, but that's only based on some speculation. I think Sutter will follow Sven well off the wing, creating space for Rodin to jump into the high slot. Could be a real dangerous playmaker on that line. 

Either way, he's bound to improve his totals since we're going to be a better team overall, especially if we stay relatively healthy. That long chunk of time when he was pretty useless at the beginning of the season shouldn't repeat itself, which bodes well for the kid.

I'm mostly rooting for him because he's my age, reminds me of myself, and has some incredible talent. 

• Upvote 1

Is Baer another of JB's place holders, or does he have Naslund upside?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Baer another of JB's place holders, or does he have Naslund upside?

Who knows?  Naslund didn't start taking off until he was a couple of years older than Baer so maybe he will, although Baer is more of a playmaker type.

I hope that he takes off and becomes a true 2nd liner, but right now, I don't see him as JBs guy on a contending team.

• Upvote 1

This trade looks better every day.

• Upvote 1

Sven Bæ basically has the whole package. Skill, Shot, Speed and going to the dirty areas. (which drastically improved his game) He's still young at 23 and will only grow. I see his potential as a first liner and a big season coming up. IMO Bennings best trade. The sky's the limit for him::D

• Upvote 1

That injury from his first world championship game with the swiss national team, it was against russia may 10 in 2014, those broken ribs really bounced his development. But now he has left it clearly behind. Will only get better.

Edited by the harry

9 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Are you saying Baer is a "blank space"?

Although it sounds like WD has other ideas about Baer, I think he looked pretty good with BoHo. With the right RW, I think those two could really bring it together.

Any update on a possible contract? We need to lock Sven up.

On 01/06/2016 at 7:42 PM, higgyfan said:

Who knows?  Naslund didn't start taking off until he was a couple of years older than Baer so maybe he will, although Baer is more of a playmaker type.

I hope that he takes off and becomes a true 2nd liner, but right now, I don't see him as JBs guy on a contending team.

I agree with you, regardijg Baertschi being more of a playmaker, some of his give and gos to Bo were pretty sick. Everyone is clamoring for snipers, me being one of them, we need players who have good vision and their head up looking for the play beyond the play 

Baertschi and Bo are gonna be fun to watch again this year.  I like the way they sore off the rush.  they are a "quick strike" kind of line

Edited by wshdrvvn

9 hours ago, I'myourhuckleberry said:

I agree with you, regardijg Baertschi being more of a playmaker, some of his give and gos to Bo were pretty sick. Everyone is clamoring for snipers, me being one of them, we need players who have good vision and their head up looking for the play beyond the play 

Benning did say that they brought him in for his playmaking and wanted him to play his game.  I think they are going to use him more offensively going forward and that he won't necessarily play with Horvat - WD separated them whenever he could to finish the year.

Have you ever seen him play as a Flame - not the last year, where he was stuck on the 4th with Bollig and Bouma, but the years before when Feaster was still GM.  I thought that towards the very end of this season he was finally looking like the player he used to be and part of the, I guess call it, cheekiness was coming back.   

In the later part of this season analysts were back to talking of what made Calgary so excited about him...  He simply had a two-year hiatus...hopefully he's now solidly back on track.

32 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning did say that they brought him in for his playmaking and wanted him to play his game.  I think they are going to use him more offensively going forward and that he won't necessarily play with Horvat - WD separated them whenever he could to finish the year.

Have you ever seen him play as a Flame - not the last year, where he was stuck on the 4th with Bollig and Bouma, but the years before when Feaster was still GM.  I thought that towards the very end of this season he was finally looking like the player he used to be and part of the, I guess call it, cheekiness was coming back.   

In the later part of this season analysts were back to talking of what made Calgary so excited about him...  He simply had a two-year hiatus...hopefully he's now solidly back on track.

Is he now worth more in trade than the second JB gave up for him, or less?  Maybe that's how to classify Baer's improvement?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is he now worth more in trade than the second JB gave up for him, or less?  Maybe that's how to classify Baer's improvement?

I think if nothing else, he proved that he can play minutes for (nearly) a full season.  He had a career year, but that is to be expected given the amount of games he played.  As far as his "worth".... I'm not sure it really has changed a whole lot.  This coming season will be telling.

I still pencil him in with Horvat on my rosters. I guess you could put him with Sutter, but I think that's a waste of Baertschi's talent. Horvat has a higher offensive game, so I like Baertschi more with him.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

interesting question...i don't think JB could get more than a 2nd for him right now...but I wouldn't trade him away to get a 2nd and I'd happily give up a 2nd to get him.

i think i've thought myself in a full circle at this point, but I think he's worth WAY more now than we gave up for him.