The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

i don't know all the ramifications but i'm sure benning and the boys do..they always say they want to put their players in a position to succeed....they may have some idea by season's end....i hope the kid makes it...

virtanen, baerschi and kenins on the left side looks good...bonino, horvat, mccann and cassels at centre could be desent...looks like only kassian vey and jensen for the right side.....

Edited by smithers joe

Not a chance we stick with the same 14 forwards we have now into next year.

Moves like Vey and Baertschi are allowing us to make up ground they we have lost with MG's drafting from 08-12. Benning is accelerating the plan a touch quicker with these acquisitions so that they make the roster faster, but it is also noted that they have to earn their keep before they get a spot, but considering the FA market lacks what Benning would want to get and the trade market just isn't there for a young top six forward,

Benning stated he wants to inject youth into the lineup each year going forward...you can bet at least another young player will make our lineup.

yes if players can come in and make the team, some players will be moved...my point is, we don't know who can crack this line up.

we also don't know, which players, benning will decide to move...a lot of people have their ideas of who they would move...benning will ice the team he feels will give us the best chance to win....i know, i'll be disappointed if they move higgins, but if they decide that's best, i'll live with it.

Joe;

There might be a choice made between Burrows and Higgens. Both are very strong on the PK. As much as I would hate it JB might get more back on a Burrows trade. IMHO Burrows has been the captain of this team for many years. He is suffering more injury each year. Both these players are apparently very strong in the dressing room as leaders as well. My attachment to Burrows is his history with the team and all that he has done on both sides of the puck.

Joe;

There might be a choice made between Burrows and Higgens. Both are very strong on the PK. As much as I would hate it JB might get more back on a Burrows trade. IMHO Burrows has been the captain of this team for many years. He is suffering more injury each year. Both these players are apparently very strong in the dressing room as leaders as well. My attachment to Burrows is his history with the team and all that he has done on both sides of the puck.

i agree with you,...decisions will have to be made....not our decisions but what is best and fits the model they want to build here.

Joe;

people forget that burrows signed contracts that were team friendly for several years until they recognized his worth and paid him close to kesler money...now people say, he should never have been paid so much....heart and soul guy.

people forget that burrows signed contracts that were team friendly for several years until they recognized his worth and paid him close to kesler money...now people say, he should never have been paid so much....heart and soul guy.

this is a what have you done lately league. He has played exceptionally well in the past. Right now is a different Story. Hes overpaiD as of now.

jensen hasn't exactly burned up the ahl....baerschi has lost his confidence, so it may take awhile to get it back..i think they'll take their time with him...benning said that both virtanen and mccann will be given every opportunity to make this team...but they won't rush them...i think as much as the team loves richardson, i think bo, can move up to 3rd line.....i'ld hate to see higgins go...he is so important to this team...matthias is playing so good right now like kassian...can they keep it up? they will move a goalie...defense needs a make over....can bieksa come back and play like the juice?...are we tough enough...can pedan make the big club next year?

He got an assist in his first game with Utica. How has he lost confidence again?

Goose;

What is his hit $4M? Top PK'er and someone who has repeatedly jump started the Twins. He moves up and down the lines as needed. He came back from a disaster season of injury and lost PP. IMO his CAP hit is warranted. A choice between Burrows and Higgins IMO. I would move Higgins but Burrows would bring more back.

My Burrows concern is age and increased likelihood of injury. What Burrows can return in a trade is probably very attractive. His CAP hit is probably attractive for a trade partner who has the need in a CUP contending team. His ability to mentor young prospects would be lost which should not be minimalized. That said the developing depth in Utica can serve that purpose as well. Quite frankly I do not want the Twins mentoring prospect ice skills. I simply do not think their style can be transferred easily.

I think Bart will get the Vey treatment as opposed to the Kassian. He'll have a longer leash and won't be punished as hard for mistakes. If Vey is given PP time, I'm sure Bart will receive some as well. And also, I'm sure he'll start out on the 3rd line at worst. He's just not the type of player to grind it out on the fourth line and work his way to the top. With the waiver situation, like Vey last year, there's not much else to do. And besides, we know Bart's problem has been with the mental side of the game and confidence. I don't think benching him will help.

I can't believe people still think "mistakes" was the issue.

The issue with Kassian was consistency, not mistakes. All players make mistakes. WD wants to have a darn good idea of what he's going to get when he puts you on the ice and Kassian has played like Jekyll or Hyde until recently.

Vey may make mistakes but 9 times out of 10, WD knows what he's going to get from him out there, mistakes or not. And hence who to match him up against and who to play him with to accentuate his strengths and cover for his weaknesses.

If Sven can come in and give Willie 9/10 consistent shifts, warts and all, he'll be fine.

Joe;

IMO Burrows is too versatile to move. He's always an option to play with the twins in case of injury/slumps, he can play on any line, he's an excellent PK'er and he's a heart and soul guy. You don't drop that versatility IMO.

So when bodies start to need moving this summer, my money's on Higgins and Hansen. Both similar, good middle 6 guys with great 2 way game. Hansen has speed and age on his side. Higgins, leadership. My guess is Higgins is the odd man out unfortunately.

So why did they give up on a guy that talented then ? Cause of his poor d zone play and compete level. Benning a offer was the best one out out there so there are issues that need ironing out. I don't see where your going with this argument?

Benning scouted Baertschi in juniors and said he thought Baertschi was the best junior player in all of Canada in his last year of junior and that he had wanted to acquire Baertschi for a couple years now. On his 3 week scouting trip that he went on in January, he scouted Baertschi again while watching some AHL games.

I think I'll trust the scouting ability and talent/compete analysis of our GM who has a scouting background. Everyone knows Burke plays favorite and if you're not in his "boys club" good luck sticking on his team.

• Upvote 1

we also don't know, which players, benning will decide to move...a lot of people have their ideas of who they would move...benning will ice the team he feels will give us the best chance to win....i know, i'll be disappointed if they move higgins, but if they decide that's best, i'll live with it.

I've been trying to make the same point, Joe. Everyone is going to have a differing opinion of which older players should/will get moved out but it's not up to us.

As fans we become emotionally attached to our favourites and biased toward how we view their play. As objective as we like to believe we are, we are all influenced to some degree or another by sentimentality. This could influence each of us to make decisions not in the best interest of the club despite our intentions.

The management very clearly has a road map they are following to get to where they believe we need to be. With this comes constant evaluations of players in their roles, conversations with other GMs, strategic planning with the coaches, the human factor of players and their families...etc. These factors are going to lead them to keep the players they feel can fit on the new team in their assigned role. There are so many variables in this dynamic that we as outsiders are not privy to that we can just take wild stabs in the dark about what will happen with each player.

It is clear, to me at least, that some more major changes to this roster are coming over the summer. One or two of who we consider the old guard will be moved out. Youth is being served.

• Upvote 1