The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

He definitely could have had 3 or 4 points tonight, just from the highlights.

Backdoor pass that just missed him. That 2 on 1 with Conacher or whoever it was that could get a piece of his pass. Couple Shots on the PP too.

Solid first game. Can't wait to see what he's like once he has some time to work with Green, and the the other Comets

He definitely could have had 3 or 4 points tonight, just from the highlights.

Backdoor pass that just missed him. That 2 on 1 with Conacher or whoever it was that could get a piece of his pass. Couple Shots on the PP too.

Solid first game. Can't wait to see what he's like once he has some time to work with Green, and the the other Comets

green said he played well offensively but want a big test size to see where his defensive game is...he was impressed with both players.

I've been trying to make the same point, Joe. Everyone is going to have a differing opinion of which older players should/will get moved out but it's not up to us.

As fans we become emotionally attached to our favourites and biased toward how we view their play. As objective as we like to believe we are, we are all influenced to some degree or another by sentimentality. This could influence each of us to make decisions not in the best interest of the club despite our intentions.

The management very clearly has a road map they are following to get to where they believe we need to be. With this comes constant evaluations of players in their roles, conversations with other GMs, strategic planning with the coaches, the human factor of players and their families...etc. These factors are going to lead them to keep the players they feel can fit on the new team in their assigned role. There are so many variables in this dynamic that we as outsiders are not privy to that we can just take wild stabs in the dark about what will happen with each player.

It is clear, to me at least, that some more major changes to this roster are coming over the summer. One or two of who we consider the old guard will be moved out. Youth is being served.

i don't think they will move players out until they are sure that they have players coming in that can do their job...

I find it funny how people are complaining about his size. These are the same people who wanted nylander over Virtanen lol. People nust love to complain. This guy is going to be a big part of our future.

Look at our prospect pool now.(22 or younger)

1. Horvat

2. Virtanen

3. Mccann

4. Baertschi

5. Shinkaruk

6. Clendenning

7. Corrado

8. Weber

9. Gaunce

10. Subban

Future is looking brighter and brighter. And Benning did it without hurting the team now

Edit:

I forgot JENSEN!!!! :-0 WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?! slot him above or below baertschi depending on your opinion

I wouldn't call Horvat, Clendening or Corrado prospects... yeah, they're young, but they're pretty much NHL regulars now.

i don't think they will move players out until they are sure that they have players coming in that can do their job...

I don't think so either but I'd rather a team have over cooked prospects that kick down the door and steal a job from a vet myself.

The alternative is having a desperate team looking to their prospects for the needed help and that's starting from a position of weakness.

People here drawing some pretty terrible and unreasonable comparisons with the type of player Baertschi can end up like. Parise and all those guys are on a totally different level.

A far more fair comparison for Baertschi's fullest potential imo would be a Mike Cammalleri type player. Undersized forward, tones of skill and capability to score, but better and more responsible defensively. Some of the comparisons I've read here are outrageous lol.

People here drawing some pretty terrible and unreasonable comparisons with the type of player Baertschi can end up like. Parise and all those guys are on a totally different level.

A far more fair comparison for Baertschi's fullest potential imo would be a Mike Cammalleri type player. Undersized forward, tones of skill and capability to score, but better and more responsible defensively. Some of the comparisons I've read here are outrageous lol.

He's the next Crosby shut it ::D

I don't think so either but I'd rather a team have over cooked prospects that kick down the door and steal a job from a vet myself.

The alternative is having a desperate team looking to their prospects for the needed help and that's starting from a position of weakness.

like edmonton....there is right mix of rookies and veterans to successful...i'm sure benning will figure it out.

I've been trying to make the same point, Joe. Everyone is going to have a differing opinion of which older players should/will get moved out but it's not up to us.

As fans we become emotionally attached to our favourites and biased toward how we view their play. As objective as we like to believe we are, we are all influenced to some degree or another by sentimentality. This could influence each of us to make decisions not in the best interest of the club despite our intentions.

The management very clearly has a road map they are following to get to where they believe we need to be. With this comes constant evaluations of players in their roles, conversations with other GMs, strategic planning with the coaches, the human factor of players and their families...etc. These factors are going to lead them to keep the players they feel can fit on the new team in their assigned role. There are so many variables in this dynamic that we as outsiders are not privy to that we can just take wild stabs in the dark about what will happen with each player.

It is clear, to me at least, that some more major changes to this roster are coming over the summer. One or two of who we consider the old guard will be moved out. Youth is being served.

With Baertschi needing waivers and Kenins stepping up this year, moving a left winger somewhere is a reasonable guess. Perhaps they move a RW and then push a LW to the opposite side (or to center as in Matthias' case) but the simplest answer is likely the best.

But good to see him get and assist last night on Sanguinetti's goal, hopefully he fits in well with Green's system and does very well to end the year. He didn't score on his shootout attempt though so he's snot perfect!

With Baertschi needing waivers and Kenins stepping up this year, moving a left winger somewhere is a reasonable guess. Perhaps they move a RW and then push a LW to the opposite side (or to center as in Matthias' case) but the simplest answer is likely the best.

But good to see him get and assist last night on Sanguinetti's goal, hopefully he fits in well with Green's system and does very well to end the year. He didn't score on his shootout attempt though so he's snot perfect!

I have a gnawing feeling that waiver exemptions/subjects is going to be one of the key determining factors on how the line up looks next season.

In another thread projecting 2015-16 lineups, I projected Kenins to start the year in Utica, only because he's waiver exempt, even though he deserves to be up here as much, if not more than other players.

I hope Baertschi, Vey, Cledening, Corrado, Stanton, etc. (players who are subject to waivers) don't come in with the attitude that a spot is available to them because of waiver rules. Sounds like these guys are motivated enough to make the jump in spite of their waiver status, but we'll see.

Glad to see Baertschi and Conacher have a good start with the Comets. Hopefully they inject speed and offence to the lineup that sounds like has been missing.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

In another thread projecting 2015-16 lineups, I projected Kenins to start the year in Utica, only because he's waiver exempt, even though he deserves to be up here as much, if not more than other players.

Could very well happen. If nothing else that allows us time/patience to make the "right' move for (I assume) Higgins.

Start the year with:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Higgins, Matthias, Burrows

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen

...and eventually end up with:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Matthias, Dorsett

Kenins, Horvat, Hansen

That is unless the cap threatens that situation... Kenins costs less than Higgins will. And our D (particularly the right side) need a SERIOUS makeover. It's going to be interesting!

Edited by J.R.

Could very well happen. If nothing else that allows us time/patience to make the "right' move for (I assume) Higgins.

Start the year with:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Higgins, Matthias, Burrows

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen

...and eventually end up with:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Matthias, Dorsett

Kenins, Horvat, Hansen

That is unless the cap threatens that situation... Kenins costs less than Higgins will. And our D (particularly the right side) need a SERIOUS makeover. It's going to be interesting!

Wait, why is he on the second line? If anything I think we should give him the Horvat/Kenins treatment and allow him to gain confidence with sheltered minutes. If he gets loaded with top 6 minutes and bombs it it'll be his Calgary experience all over.

Wait, why is he on the second line? If anything I think we should give him the Horvat/Kenins treatment and allow him to gain confidence with sheltered minutes. If he gets loaded with top 6 minutes and bombs it it'll be his Calgary experience all over.

Because his skill set warrants it? Because he's not Horvat?

I'm not saying he gets "gifted" that spot, that just where I have him penciled in based on him earning it.

He could just as easily slot in on the 3rd LW if he needs to learn on the job more than what is reasonably expected for a second liner. In which case likely Burrows slides up.

On either line I'd not be shocked at all to see him a healthy scratch once in a while either and let Vey get some games in between injuries.

Besides those bottom three lines will get pretty similar minutes regardless.

AKA: don't over react.

Edited by J.R.

I have a gnawing feeling that waiver exemptions/subjects is going to be one of the key determining factors on how the line up looks next season.

I hope Baertschi, Vey, Cledening, Corrado, Stanton, etc. (players who are subject to waivers) don't come in with the attitude that a spot is available to them because of waiver rules. Sounds like these guys are motivated enough to make the jump in spite of their waiver status, but we'll see.

Glad to see Baertschi and Conacher have a good start with the Comets. Hopefully they inject speed and offence to the lineup that sounds like has been missing.

This would be a season where Benning can put some weight behind his comments that he'll make room for younger players if they deserve it. If he doesn't open up space beforehand to allow for Kenins, Baertschi, Corrado, Clendening, etc. to be in the line up then he could certainly use Kenins in Utica as a short term move while he tries to make a deal with another roster player to free up space.

I'm not that concerned. I think Corrado's already proven he can be an NHL'er, and Vey is at least a good depth guy who will continue to develop. Clendening has been just fine as well and Baertschi could well prove he deserves a shot before we end the year.

Benning could move guys like Higgins and Weber to make room for these young players, then have free agents come in on PTOs at camp to push the youngsters. He could even sign free agents (or even re-sign Weber) and then not be worried if they get picked up on waivers when the young players do well. I don't have any significant worry that our newly waiver eligible players won't be good enough to deserve a spot come October.

But here's the highlights from last nights Comets game:

Baertschi with the 1st assist on Sanguinetti's goal, but he looked to be very involved on a number of chances.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

Because his skill set warrants it? Because he's not Horvat?

No no I wasn't putting words in your mouth.

I'm saying if you're playing in the top six there are certain expectations that have to be met, and putting up points is one of them. I would argue that Horvat has earned second line time over Vey this year but that puts him in a position where failure is a possibility. On the fourth or third lines you just play your game and not let the opposition score.

Vey plays top six because we are weak and injured at center, we have the luxury of having depth on LW so I see no reason to have the kid start in that role.

Edited by Mathew Barzal

Vey plays top six because we are weak and injured at center, we have the luxury of having depth on LW so I see no reason to have the kid start in that role.

How about because he's far more offensively talented than any LW not named Daniel on our team? ;)

Our other option at this point is some combination of Burrows or Higgins. Maybe next year someone else steps up (Virtanen makes the team, Shinkaruk or Jensen impress) but if we aren't looking at Baertschi there then we're using a forward that would probably be better suited as a top 9/bottom 6 player. Pick your poison.