The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

So glad the prospect section exists. This section seems to attract more reasonable posters who wanna have actual discussions about prospects, rather than have circular arguments for the sake of it.

I swear it's like banging your head against the wall trying to talk about a prospect in the Trades, Rumors, and Signings section. So many people there don't even know who the player is or care to learn about them.

It's the same old tired arguments: "He couldn't even crack the Flames roster"..."He's too soft"..."He's too small"..."A second round pick will turn out way better than him"....

People have written Baertschi off before he's play one game in our organization. They seem to perceive this glorious second round pick as the perfect prospect that will have no ups and down or flaws to their game. It's ridiculous.

Watch them come rolling back when SB starts to have some success.

How many people still believe we would be better off with Nichushkin?

:bigblush:

Now if we can just move our first we'll be set for another draft to remember like 2010!

Did you fail to notice we've drafted four times in the first round in the last two drafts?

We're well on our way to having a solid young core.

A couple drafts of taking some elite puck movers in the first round and we're good.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

While his 4 NHL points in 15 games this year in the NHL are disappointing, a did a bit of digging:

• 10 out of 15 games he played less than 10 minutes
  • his season high was 13:17
  • he scored all 4 of his points in the 5 games where he played 10+ minutes
In 2012-2013 he had just 1 point in 13 games before scoring in each of his next 7 games (9 points)

I think Sven can contribute in our top 9, but he will be streaky. VERY intriguing pickup.

Interesting stuff. If he gets a opportunity in our top 6 he would shine. Playing with a Mathias or Vbrata will help tons.

Not many people have been discussing his waiver eligibility? Does this mean it's big club or bust for this guy next season?

I believe next year he is waiver eligibile. So he is Vey.20 Boom or Bust. But the Boom is definitly worth the bust

Edited by Gstank29

Not many people have been discussing his waiver eligibility? Does this mean it's big club or bust for this guy next season?

Yupp. Probably will be in a Vey type of situation. In and out of the lineup until he proves himself. I would be fine with that. Who knows if injuries strike, he could play this year.

Just watched some highlights on this guy and he looks like a very good pick up for us. Quick hands, amazing vision, and awesome play making ability. He has the skills to draw opposing defenders towards him as he quickly dishes it of for the best possible option to score. I am very happy, and excited to see what Green can do with Sven to get his game back on track too. I really believe we have a gem here, great trade. Would also like to point out that he was compared to Loui Eriksson when he was drafted, and one of the announcers also said he is like a "mini" Hossa who also played for the winter hawks.

Not many people have been discussing his waiver eligibility. Does this mean it's big club or bust for this guy next season?

Well if Vey can be given as much leeway as he has, I don't see why they won't give Svenny the same luxury.

• Upvote 1

So glad the prospect section exists. This section seems to attract more reasonable posters who wanna have actual discussions about prospects, rather than have circular arguments for the sake of it.

I swear it's like banging your head against the wall trying to talk about a prospect in the Trades, Rumors, and Signings section. So many people there don't even know who the player is or care to learn about them.

It's the same old tired arguments: "He couldn't even crack the Flames roster"..."He's too soft"..."He's too small"..."A second round pick will turn out way better than him"....

People have written Baertschi off before he's play one game in our organization. They seem to perceive this glorious second round pick as the perfect prospect that will have no ups and down or flaws to their game. It's ridiculous.

Excuse me?

You basically were corrected on every aspect you claimed about SB and his style of play. You acted like you were so familiar with him yet your posts showed you had no clue what so ever.

Your wanna be hockey knowledge attitude is annoying, get over yourself. Hell you didn't even know the circumstances as to why he didn't make the flames this year.

• Upvote 1

Excuse me?

You basically were corrected on every aspect you claimed about SB and his style of play. You acted like you were so familiar with him yet your posts showed you had no clue what so ever.

Your wanna be hockey knowledge attitude is annoying, get over yourself. Hell you didn't even know the circumstances as to why he didn't make the flames this year.

When did I talk about his style of play?

And yet again you're not actually having a discussion about the player, you're just arguing. Hence the useless part.

Not many people have been discussing his waiver eligibility. Does this mean it's big club or bust for this guy next season?

This is the scary part that so many don't understand. He has to be on the team next season, yet the same lame argument is that we are stupid for wanting to draft a 18 year old in the 2nd round instead of taking a chance on a former 1st rounder. The fact is I want and hope he is a very good player for us but if he isn't well then we tossed away a 2nd rounder.

So... how soon do we see this kid in a Nucks uni? September?

If another forward gets injured this year, he might come in. Should be a key contributor on Utica for the playoffs and the rest of the regular season.

This is the scary part that so many don't understand. He has to be on the team next season, yet the same lame argument is that we are stupid for wanting to draft a 18 year old in the 2nd round instead of taking a chance on a former 1st rounder. The fact is I want and hope he is a very good player for us but if he isn't well then we tossed away a 2nd rounder.

AGAIN the BOOM is worth the risk. NINO was in the same situation now look at him. 20 goal scorer looks like a lock for 20 40-50 points

we tossed away a 2nd rounder.

No, we would have taken a gamble on a young player we believed had alot of potential.

No different than drafting a player.

If it takes 5 years for a player to bust, or 1, they're still a bust. Pushing out the time frame doesn't increase the odds.

• Upvote 3

When did I talk about his style of play?

And yet again you're not actually having a discussion about the player, you're just arguing. Hence the useless part.

You have never changed if I don't agree with you I'm arguing, kinda like my wife..

I told you in the other thread,

The potential is there, he skates great and has offensive flare for sure however his complete game isn't there but that can be taught. The scary part is the waiver eligibility next season, not sure why you don't get that instead you knock everyone that suggests we should have used that pick in the draft, why? Because it's not your opinion?

Got to take chances sometimes. If he doesn't pan out, he's probably going to be packaged in a deal. But he will get every opportunity to succeed.