The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I was trying to go for the cautiously optimistic approach but such statements make it hard for me to temper my enthusiasm... was a big fan of his on the Winterhawks.

He has been playing quite well since some time (although more consistent and assertive since joining Utica) but since mid-December he has 32pts in 35 games and is a +14.
I pinpoint mid-December as turning point as that's when he was sent back down after spending several weeks with the Flames - he was up for 14 games where he played mostly on the 4th line with limited minutes. I can't help but wonder if that episode is not what triggered discussions about his future with the Flames...
If you listened to Green's interview at the trade deadline - he was mentioning that it's more difficult for skilled offensive players to put up points in the AHL because the game is so different than in the NHL for them. He believes that in the NHL there is more time to make plays because the puck comes cleaner. I remember Sven saying something similar - needing to get used to the choppier play in the AHL when he was questioned on his poor stats with Adirondack at the start of the season.
There have been many times where he set players up and they couldn't finish. At times you can just see how patient he is with the puck - waiting for his line-mate to be in position before making the pass. So coupled that with Green's comments (at the trade deadline and now) as well as Benning's - makes me very hopeful that he is going to be "used properly" and become a really good player for the Team.

ok ill fix it

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Matthias - Horvat - Burrows

Kenins - Richardson - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Hamhuis

Bieksa - Corrado

trades:

jensen, hansen, Higgins for picks and draft;

Kylington, G.Carlsson, Chlapik, Hintz, Gagne, and Malgin

I like this lineup. Burrows and Kassian could be interchangable depending on who is hot at the time with the twins. Horvat has played so well with Kennins and Hansen, I'd hope it would translate to other players as well, but it will have to be tested sooner or later. If Baertschi transitions well, that's a solid second line.

What would you do with Clendenning? He's waiver elligable next year and I don't imagine he would clear.

I like this lineup. Burrows and Kassian could be interchangable depending on who is hot at the time with the twins. Horvat has played so well with Kennins and Hansen, I'd hope it would translate to other players as well, but it will have to be tested sooner or later. If Baertschi transitions well, that's a solid second line.

What would you do with Clendenning? He's waiver elligable next year and I don't imagine he would clear.

a sbisa clendening line would be nice if we trade hamhuis but other than that im not sure, we have an exes of players in general due to the fact that we have so many players that want to push for perminant positions such as corrado, clendening, jensen, grenier, baertschi...

were going to have to make trades on players like higgins, burrows, hamhuis, bieksa, whether people like or not lol

"I'm starting to see the Sven Baertschi I had in Portland" - Coach Green

And that is why we traded for him

As I said in the Gaunce thread that article was also posted in:

I also like that Green mentioned he's starting to see the Sven he had in Portland... that means he believes there's still another gear there above his already impressive play :towel:

Guest Dasein

As I said in the Gaunce thread that article was also posted in:

Yeah well I mean, he's not 2PPG yet in Utica like he was in Portland is he?

:bigblush:

Edited by Dasein

Would we not have gladly accepted a 2nd for Jordan Schroeder?

Sure, cause a) Schroeder dreams of having Baertschi's AHL and NHL numbers, and b ) Schroeder is 2 years older than Baertschi, so that would be like comparing last year's Schroeder (2013-14) to next year's Baertschi (2015-16).

At the same point in time, Baertschi and Schroeder arent close to comparable.

Edited by uselessstats