Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

1.Horvat

2.Virtanen

3.Baertschi

4.McCann

5. Demko

you guys think that 2nd round pick could be in our top 5 prospects in june? cause I don't.

This team needs true scoring brewing in the system.

• Upvote 4

Hopefully Green can mold him into a top 6.

Damn, I love the way he shoots. Seems like hes always ready to shoot. Even though his stats imply hes a better passer. Not to mention hes Swedish, I think he is going to be a future top 6 for us!

• Upvote 1

Considering the price boston paid for Connolly, I don't mind the trade value wise. But as some have mentioned before, it is very much like the Linden Vey deal and another player like Vey. We are getting more skilled, which is great, but he is on the smaller side and has shown very lacklustre numbers for a top 15 pick.

His point production in the AHL has regressed ever since his rookie season.

2012-13: 0.82 PPG

2013-14: 0.71 PPG

2014-15: 0.69 PPG

As for the trade, I do like baertschi and I'm glad we picked him up. Not too happy we don't pick in the second or third round of a very, very good draft but this can be fixed. Baertschi's modest achievement so far does raise some eye brows but I have more faith in our management than calgary's, I just really hate brian Burke.

Also, anybody else find it odd how we paid the same price for baertschi as we did vey? Slightly lower when you consider the 2nd won't be 36th overall. Just seems odd to me, I'd have thought that baertschi would fetch more being younger and a high draft pick.

Edit: nvm, we gave LA the second rounder from Tampa didn't we?

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan

I find it funny how people are complaining about his size. These are the same people who wanted nylander over Virtanen lol. People nust love to complain. This guy is going to be a big part of our future.

Look at our prospect pool now.(22 or younger)

1. Horvat

2. Virtanen

3. Mccann

4. Baertschi

5. Shinkaruk

6. Clendenning

7. Corrado

8. Weber

9. Gaunce

10. Subban

Future is looking brighter and brighter. And Benning did it without hurting the team now

Edit:

I forgot JENSEN!!!! :-0 WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?! slot him above or below baertschi depending on your opinion

Edited by crabbysiren7

Hockey's future report from prior to the 2013/2014 season. Not exactly current but has some nice information on his post draft years.

History

2008-09: Sven Baertschi spent the season with the Langenthal club playing mostly for the U-20 squad. In 37 games, he scored 21 goals and added 32 assists for 53 points. In 6 postseason games, Baertschi scored 4 goals and added 3 assists for 7 points to go along with 35 penalty minutes. Baertschi also played for the U-17 squad, scoring 4 goals and adding 4 assists for 8 points in 3 games. Baertschi played for Switzerland at the 2009 U-18 World Junior Championship where he scored 1 goal and added 2 assists for 3 points in 6 games.

2009-10: Baertschi spent most of the season with Langenthals National League B team. In 37 games for that team, he scored 6 goals and added 6 assists for 12 points. In 7 playoff games, Baertschi picked up 3 assists. Bartschi also played for Zug in the Elite Junior A league, scoring 10 goals and adding 13 assists for 23 points in 9 games. In 2 playoff games for Zug, he scored 3 goals and added 1 assist for 4 points. Baertschi once again represented Switzerland at the 2010 U-18 World Junior Championship, scoring 1 goal and adding 2 assists for 3 points in 6 games. He was named one of the top 3 players on his team for the tournament. Baertschi was chosen in the first round, 7th overall, of the 2010 CHL Import Draft by the Portland Winterhawks.

2010-11: Baertschi moved over to the WHL to play his rookie season in that league. In 66 games, he scored 34 goals and added 51 assists for 85 points to go along with 74 penalty minutes. Baertschi played for Switzerland at the 2011 U-20 World Junior Championship, scoring 1 goal and adding 1 assist for 2 points in 6 games. Baertschi played for Team Orr at the 2011 CHL Home Hardware Top Prospects Game, where he scored 1 goal and added 1 assist in Orrs 7-1 win over Team Cherry.

2011-12: Baertschi made his NHL debut with the Flames in March after a dominant junior season with the Portland Winterhawks. He scored 3 goals and was plus-two with 4 penalty minutes in five games with Calgary. Baertschi and St. Louis prospect Ty Rattie were one of the most prolific scoring duos in junior hockey. Baertschi was the second-leading scorer for Portland behind Rattie and finished tenth in the WHL with 94 points (33 goals, 61 assists) despite skating in just 47 games due to an early season hip injury. Portland reached the WHL Finals after finishing second in the U.S. Division during the season. Baertschi was plus-11 with 14 goals and 20 assists in 22 playoff games.

2012-13: Baertschi skated in 20 NHL games with the Flames during three stints with Calgary in his first pro season. He played four games following the NHL lockout in January, missed 11 games with a hip injury before returning in late February and playing six games and then was re-called in April; finishing the year in Calgary. He had one assist in his first two stints and had nine of his ten points in April finishing the year with 3 goals and 7 assists and was an even plus/minus with 6 penalty minutes for Calgary. Baertschi played 32 games for Flames AHL affiliate Abbotsford. He scored 10 goals with 16 assists and was -1 with 16 penalty minutes. The Heat missed the playoffs after finishing fourth in the North Division.

Talent Analysis

Baerstchi is a good two-way player with high-end offensive talent. The playmaking winger has really improved his skating explosiveness while learning to change speed to throw off the defender. Since being drafted in 2011, he has really improved his vision and hockey sense as well as his overall game. The first rounder clearly projects as a top line forward. His work ethic, passion, desire and attitude to be the best are top notch.

Future

The future is now for Baertschi and 2013-14 will most likely be the season he finds himself graduating from a prospect to a full-time player in a Flames jersey. Given the openings in the Flames lineup, the timing is right for Baertschi to showcase his talent this season as a starter. Baertschi controls his destiny with his desire to perform and produce at the NHL level.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sven_baertschi/

Edited by Bigturk8

I can't believe there are a few people that say this is a bad trade....

If SN stands correct, the pick is a 2017 2nd round pick which is like 2 years from now. A very long time.

And not only that, but when you see the Brett Connolly deal, Brett Connolly was a former 6th overall pick. He fetched 1 2015 2nd rounder, and another 2016 2nd rounder...

Sven Baertschi, drafted 13th overall, is a much better player than Connolly, and he only costed 1 2nd rounder that is either 2015 or 2017...

That's a huge steal considering the fact that Baertschi easily becomes our best prospect behind Virtanen. Farther ahead in his development than let's say, Jensen, and possesses 1st line potential.

Not only that, but with this Benning/Linden regime, we have been able to successfully trade for players who are further in their development.

Benning traded Forsling for Clendening. Forsling is a long shot, and Benning used Forsling value after it sky-rocketed during the World Juniors.

And we traded a 2nd round pick that has the odds of making the NHL slimmer than the odds of a top 15 pick in the first round in Baertschi.

I'm really ecstatic about this trade.

The thing I love most is that we FINALLY have another top LW prospect aside from Shinkaruk. This was something I hoped we'd look at for the upcoming draft/1st round.

Could we have picked a LW with that 2nd rounder? Sure, but it's not terribly likely that we'd find a LW with quite his pedigree/potential at our selection.

2, 3 posters on Calgarypuck have said that if we develop Baertschi all the way into the NHL, he'll soon turn into somewhat another resemble of Pavel Bure...

Hope that's the case :P

Edited by TheOddCanuckling
  • Upvote 1

I wonder how this affects the pecking order for guys like Jensen and Shinkaruk. They're still young guys with lots of potential, but they aren't Benning's picks. Top prospects for a former GM might not necessarily hold the same value with the new one.

Wow this is much better than I expected!

I feel like this is another one of those deals where Calgary has the depth and can afford to trade the guy.

But damn, this is sort of like Boston giving up on Seguin. NOT saying he's like Seguin, just similar scenarios. If I'm Calgary I give him a 2-3 more years before jumping ship.

Therefore, I think Benning has just stolen a slick prospect!

Interested to find out who proposed the deal.

Still though, we're retooling on the fly, Calgary is adding to their prospect pool.

Win-win for both sides.

I'm guessing he goes to Utica? Is he on the Flames roster?

I wonder how this affects the pecking order for guys like Jensen and Shinkaruk. They're still young guys with lots of potential, but they aren't Benning's picks. Top prospects for a former GM might not necessarily hold the same value with the new one.

Jensen plays a different position (RW) so I don't think it affects him too much.

Shinkaruk is definitely affected since Baertschi is ahead of him on the depth chart. Luckily, it's not like Shinkaruk gets bumped off the top-6 because, well, he doesn't play in the top-6 yet. It shouldn't affect his playing time here in the immediate future.