The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

yeah, he came right out and stated he won't resign with calgary. can't say i blame him after burkie's lambasting about him only paying well in one zone and such. guess he didn't have enough truculence for his liking.

Yeah, apparently Hartley didn't like him either. Not surprising given the Neanderthal mentality over there. I like the deal but don't underestimate the challenges with it. He has to be in our lineup next year, just like Vey was this year. But he looks to be even less suited to a bottom-6 role. Luckily our depth means that he'll be playing with some talent no matter where he slots in, but this one may take some patience.

We now have seven first rounders since 2011 in our system. Even if only half of them pan out, I like where we sit much better than before the 2013 draft when we had so few prospects it was laughable. Now we need a blue chip offensive defenseman in the first round. I'm hoping we can trade up a few spots and get someone like Provorov.

We now have seven first rounders since 2011 in our system. Even if only half of them pan out, I like where we sit much better than before the 2013 draft when we had so few prospects it was laughable. Now we need a blue chip offensive defenseman in the first round. I'm hoping we can trade up a few spots and get someone like Provorov.

Yeah, that's a definite plan given that we're going to have to thin our roster anyway: something like our first plus a decent roster player to move up 5-6 spots.

Jim Benning is on TSN1040 for the next hour. They're obviously talking about Baertschi and Moj cut in saying he just exchanged texts with Ryan Johansen (former teammate of Sven in Portland) who said that the Canucks "got a steal".

There's obviously some bias there but hearing these kinds of things is still pretty cool.

Jim Benning is on TSN1040 for the next hour. They're obviously talking about Baertschi and Moj cut in saying he just exchanged texts with Ryan Johansen (former teammate of Sven in Portland) who said that the Canucks "got a steal".

There's obviously some bias there but hearing these kinds of things is still pretty cool.

Another guy I'd love to see Benning bring home in a few years...

• Upvote 4

While browsing some Calgary forums I noticed a few people saying they'd prefer LW Emile Poirier (drafted #22 overall in 2013) over LW Sven Sven Bärtschi (#13 overall in 2011) moving forward.

I looked back at the videos of both being drafted and noticed that Bob McKenzie was pumping Bärtschi's tires by saying he likely has the smarts and skill to overcome his size disadvantage in the NHL. On the other hand when Poirier was drafted, he seemed shocked by the pick by referring to it as "Off the board" and also mentioning that Craig Button happens to think the world of him. The way I see it, if Bob McKenzie views Bärtschi highly, than he's probably going to succeed. I expect to see good things out of him when Travis Green injects confidence back into him.

Sven Bärtschi being drafted

Poirier being drafted

While giving up a 2nd hurts, I really hope Green can turn this kid around. I think we can recoup the picks in the summer with our surplus of roster players so the cost of grabbing a prospect really isn't much at all.

I was really hoping richardson would be moved today, as Horvat, Vey, and Matthias have played well enough (mostly horvat) that we don't have room for richy in the center spot. He's a UFA at the end of the year and his value will surely be less at the draft.

While I was abit shocked at the trade before and a little disappointed we didn't move out vets, I think he could really turn things around in Utica and maybe help Jensen and Shinkaruk too as they strive for a long Calder Cup run.

The thing I love most is that we FINALLY have another top LW prospect aside from Shinkaruk. This was something I hoped we'd look at for the upcoming draft/1st round.

Could we have picked a LW with that 2nd rounder? Sure, but it's not terribly likely that we'd find a LW with quite his pedigree/potential at our selection.

A top LW prospect besides shink? Virtnanen says hi.

Ryan Pilon please. Guy is gonna be a stud!!

This could end up being a good trade or a very bad trade.

He has top 6 skill that's for sure. He needs to increase his physicality, but he is very good.

The major risk component comes this summer. His contract is up and he is an RFA. He asked Burke to be traded because he doesn't want to play in the AHL anymore. The question becomes how much does he demand? Not only in cap hit but I would assume he wants a one way deal. If he doesn't get it, he could easily walk and go play in Europe. That is the risk. I'm starting to think he either told the flames that or the flames believe that is what he may do. Think about it, why would the flames give up a 22 year old 13th overall pick for what will likely be a 45+ overall pick? It could end up very bad if he decides to walk this summer and we lose our 2nd rounder for nothing. I am not saying that will happen, but from my point of view that's the risk.

This could end up being a good trade or a very bad trade.

He has top 6 skill that's for sure. He needs to increase his physicality, but he is very good.

The major risk component comes this summer. His contract is up and he is an RFA. He asked Burke to be traded because he doesn't want to play in the AHL anymore. The question becomes how much does he demand? Not only in cap hit but I would assume he wants a one way deal. If he doesn't get it, he could easily walk and go play in Europe. That is the risk. I'm starting to think he either told the flames that or the flames believe that is what he may do. Think about it, why would the flames give up a 22 year old 13th overall pick for what will likely be a 45+ overall pick? It could end up very bad if he decides to walk this summer and we lose our 2nd rounder for nothing. I am not saying that will happen, but from my point of view that's the risk.

lol...I'll let you worry about that for me ;)

While giving up a 2nd hurts, I really hope Green can turn this kid around. I think we can recoup the picks in the summer with our surplus of roster players so the cost of grabbing a prospect really isn't much at all.

I was really hoping richardson would be moved today, as Horvat, Vey, and Matthias have played well enough (mostly horvat) that we don't have room for richy in the center spot. He's a UFA at the end of the year and his value will surely be less at the draft.

While I was abit shocked at the trade before and a little disappointed we didn't move out vets, I think he could really turn things around in Utica and maybe help Jensen and Shinkaruk too as they strive for a long Calder Cup run.

Yeah, I like the trade. I think that the price was relatively steep considering he is not even a proven NHLer but the upside is there. Green knows what he's getting and all we can do is hope that he is the key to unlocking that full potential. Sounds like Sven's overall enthusiasm for the game hasn't been there due to the circumstances he was in so let's hope playing for the Comets can ignite that lost passion that he was known for in juniors.

A top LW prospect besides shink? Virtnanen says hi.

He has converted fulltime to the RW this year. I think he projects to that position in the pros as well.

Ryan Pilon please. Guy is gonna be a stud!!

Pilon is an incredibly gifted two-way defenceman, but at 18-20th, there will definitely be better players. I have reason to believe, and my colleagues agree with me on this, that Pilon will be drafted below twenty.

Always draft the best player available; the organization cannot afford to "reach", especially with the position they're in, having lost their natural second round pick.