The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

This could end up being a good trade or a very bad trade.

He has top 6 skill that's for sure. He needs to increase his physicality, but he is very good.

The major risk component comes this summer. His contract is up and he is an RFA. He asked Burke to be traded because he doesn't want to play in the AHL anymore. The question becomes how much does he demand? Not only in cap hit but I would assume he wants a one way deal. If he doesn't get it, he could easily walk and go play in Europe. That is the risk. I'm starting to think he either told the flames that or the flames believe that is what he may do. Think about it, why would the flames give up a 22 year old 13th overall pick for what will likely be a 45+ overall pick? It could end up very bad if he decides to walk this summer and we lose our 2nd rounder for nothing. I am not saying that will happen, but from my point of view that's the risk.

Check out the article in the Calgary Herald about this trade. Burke wasn't the friendliest GM to Sven, "I'm not going to rip him, I think you can tell from my comments that I see big holes and a lack of commitment. That's not going to get him anywhere in my books." and "He's got to learn that there are three zones on the ice surface." That's just demoralizing.

Seriously we had way worse problems with Kassian, Gillis and JB never said anything to that degree. They both just talked about Kassian's need for consistency and all the positives he could bring if he pulled it together.

From Benning's comments it looks like he's going to give the team a chance and then start making changes. We've got a bunch of vets that can be packaged for picks or prospects. Plus Weber, Stanton and Biega have been playing beyond their depth status, which gives us more options to recover picks.

If Sven is inconsistent defensively, another year in the AHL with his former junior coach should make that pill a little easier to swallow.

Reading up on the kid you can't help thinking he sounds like something of a head case. Didn't want to participate in the Penticton tourney, daddy issues, locker room rumours. I hope for his sake they're JUST rumours, cause he can be sure we aren't having a Hodgson case on our hands again.

converted fulltime to the RW this year. I think he projects to that position in the pros as well.

Haha well my bad, sorry to jump on you so quick there. I was under the impression he would stick on his off wing, and that idea had me excited. Similar to Ovechkin in that sense. IIRC he played on the right side at the wjc didn't he?

The Canucks acquire Sven Baertschi from the Flames for a 2nd round pick

Adam Forsythe

March 2, 2015 2:40 pm

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The Canucks trade deadline ended with a splash. Vancouver acquired Sven Baertschi from the Calgary Flames for a 2015 2nd round pick. The 22-year old was the 13th overall pick in the 2011 NHL draft. The Swiss prospect has appeared in 15-games for the Flames this season collecting four assists.

Canucks General Manager Jim Benning says its always tough to trade draft picks, but he made an exception to acquire Baertschi.

“He is ready to come in and help us win this year and every year going forward. I don’t like trading draft picks but to get a player of Sven’s calibre, I am okay with that.”

Baertschi will report to the Utica Comets, but Benning says he could be in line to be recalled if the Canucks are hit with more injuries. Comets Head Coach Travis Green coached Baertschi in the WHL with the Portland Winterhawks and Benning says Green is very exciting to have him on the team.

Haha well my bad, sorry to jump on you so quick there. I was under the impression he would stick on his off wing, and that idea had me excited. Similar to Ovechkin in that sense. IIRC he played on the right side at the wjc didn't he?

Yeah, it's tough to know if you aren't aware of the way that the Hitmen are dressing their lineup with only the roster bio available. Even to start the year he was on the RW which was interesting and was working against him when Greg Chase was still around.

Yes, he played the right wing at the World Juniors. For the brief time that he played with McDavid and Lazar, he was on that left side but that didn't last too long. Ended the tournament on the right side of Petan and Paul.

Edited by Canucks1219

I know some Flames fans on places like hf and Calgarypuck will make him sound like a bust and lockerroom cancer but honestly I think the real reason he has struggled the last year or 2 in the Flames organization is very similar to why Loui Eriksson's play has dropped off in Boston compared to when he was in Dallas.

• Upvote 2

Really excited for Baertschi. I watched him in Abbotsford a few times and he looked really good each time. Benning has said that he plans to get some picks back at the draft if he can and I'm sure he will, we got a log jam of players at the moment looking for spots so losing a few to make up some picks and get younger isn't a bad thing.

Hockey's future report from prior to the 2013/2014 season. Not exactly current but has some nice information on his post draft years.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sven_baertschi/

Yeah, in 2014,hockeysfuture.com had Baertschi rated 8.0 B - higher than any of our current prospects.

Had he played one less NHL game he would still be eligible as what hockeysfuture.com defines as a prospect, and he would have been our highest rated guy. Anyway, his stock plummeted when Burke took over Calgary - apparently Baertchi is not truculent enough for Burke.

Still, he will go to Utica, and get some great coaching and get to develop with a great bunch of players learning to play like Canucks. If Kenins, Corrado, Biega and Markstrom are indications of what we are developing down there, things look good.

In my attempt to perfect the art of procrastination, I decided to dig into Sven's current season to see where he's at right now; the past is the past.

He started the year without a 0 points and a -9 in 7 GP. That in itself is an alarm bell but since he's put up 25 points in 29 games, which are very good numbers. You take out the those first 7 games and you have yourself very respectable production.

I went and looked at his game-by-game spread and watched the highlights of his best games (2 pts nights, hattrick against Syracuse, etc.) and noticed a few things:

1. All the characteristics that describe him are bang on. He's agile, shifty and makes plays. He's a smart player but also is a somewhat of a perimeter player who still lacks that drive and nose for the net (Burkey is probably nodding his head).

2. He played alot with Emile Poirier and they had amazing chemistry. I feel like this could be great for a guy like Hunter Shinkaruk who's has seemed to struggle to find his offensive game this year. He hasn't played with a great playmaker and Baertschi is definetely that. While they play the same position, maybe they get time together on the PP or one plays the off wing.

3. He scores in bunches. If you look at his game-by-game statline, he looks to struggle with consistency. Something we see in Jensen alot is definitely something that Sven battles with as well.

Im intrigued as to where he slots into the Comets lineup and who he plays with. The next 15-20 games in the AHL will be interesting to say the least.

Yeah, I heard that, they're in an enviable position with all those picks. Benning has just confirmed he was thinking short term with this trade, doesn't want to wait two or three years for a pick to develop.

Oh brother!

How do you "think short term" by picking up a 22 year old? We just got a first-round pick, who was picked far ahead of Jensen in their draft year for a second-rounder, and who is nearly ready to step in.

So glad the prospect section exists. This section seems to attract more reasonable posters who wanna have actual discussions about prospects, rather than have circular arguments for the sake of it.

I swear it's like banging your head against the wall trying to talk about a prospect in the Trades, Rumors, and Signings section. So many people there don't even know who the player is or care to learn about them.

It's the same old tired arguments: "He couldn't even crack the Flames roster"..."He's too soft"..."He's too small"..."A second round pick will turn out way better than him"....

People have written Baertschi off before he's play one game in our organization. They seem to perceive this glorious second round pick as the perfect prospect that will have no ups and down or flaws to their game. It's ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

While his 4 NHL points in 15 games this year in the NHL are disappointing, a did a bit of digging:

• 10 out of 15 games he played less than 10 minutes
  • his season high was 13:17
  • he scored all 4 of his points in the 5 games where he played 10+ minutes

In 2012-2013 he had just 1 point in 13 games before scoring in each of his next 7 games (9 points)

I think Sven can contribute in our top 9, but he will be streaky. VERY intriguing pickup.

• Upvote 2