The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

IMO really want to see what Baertschi can do against the flames but is he ready defensively for top 6 min?

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vbrata

Mathias Horvat Hansen

Higggins vey Dorsett

When Richardsson is healthy, vey has to come out

When Kassian is healthy Who comes out WD makes a tough decision about where Kassian goes- I wouldn't breK up the twins and burrows at this time.

When we are fully healthy, we have far too many tweener forwRds- we have like 10

Well, we are never 100% healthy.

Though, it might not be a bad idea to trade 1 or 2 for picks or young prospects in the offseason.

Well, we are never 100% healthy.

Though, it might not be a bad idea to trade 1 or 2 for picks or young prospects in the offseason.

Maybe look at packaging markstrom and Higgins to buffalo for a late 1st or early 2nd

Would love to come away with 3-4 top 40 picks

Kylington, Harkins, Andersson, Sprong

Boom!

Maybe look at packaging markstrom and Higgins to buffalo for a late 1st or early 2nd

Would love to come away with 3-4 top 40 picks

Kylington, Harkins, Andersson, Sprong

Boom!

Buffalo would be interest in a young player. Markstrome, Jensen and a 3th/4th liner might do it

Similar game to Vey...

...but more speed, skill, and vision. Definitely an upgrade.

How come you aren't employed by an NHL scouting staff? Your talent assessment skills are off the charts if you can see this after a game or two.

Oh wait, you are more than likely just a Vey hater.

Edited by RonMexico

How come you aren't employed by an NHL scouting staff? Your talent assessment skills are off the charts if you can see this after a game or two.

Meh, his assessment was pretty spot on. Even WD said "He's really skilled, boy he's skilled." and that he'll be a top 6 player after only seeing him "2 games" and some practices.

I've never really seen WD say that about Vey.

From the, admittedly limited, amount I've seen... it's a fairly accurate assessment IMO. And I've been a pretty big Vey supporter as well FWIW.

There's nothing wrong with Baer simply being more talented. It doesn't discredit Vey.

That's the only reason I see him playing, but reality is he will be benched because their is no chance in hell that Vey gets benched. Therefore this leaves only one player left to get benched. With a healthy line up I don't see Mathias benched either.

I love how you say things you think, as if you know the one possible answer to every scenario. You're one of those home run or strikeout trolls.

From the, admittedly limited, amount I've seen... it's a fairly accurate assessment IMO. And I've been a pretty big Vey supporter as well FWIW.

There's nothing wrong with Baer simply being more talented. It doesn't discredit Vey.

I tend to agree with this. And like you I've supported and shown encouragement for Vey all season long. I just have a feeling the Baertschi is going to make him irrelevant down the line since he's arguably better than him now. Plus he's also got a higher upside. Throw the slightly bigger frame into the mix and you'll begin to see why Vey has a chance of becoming redundant.

• Upvote 1

I was at the game last night. Although Baertschi didn't play a whole lot, he was still noticeable. I think anyone can tell that he's amazingly offensively gifted, definitely more than Vey. I really like Vey and I'm glad Benning acquired him but Sven is much more talented. Baertschi's defensive game isn't bad either. He seems to be defensively aware. I saw him covering for Bieksa a couple of times at the blue line when Bieksa decided to go for a venture. Baertschi is going to be really great for us, just watch. Hopefully he gets some playoff games to show what he can do.

Every time I log on here almost everyone is dogging Vey like he is yesterday's garbage. He has had a decent rookie season. By decent I mean nothing special but he certainly hasn't been complete junk.

But comparing a player who played a handful of games to one who has played 70+ is a terrible comparison. Whats to say that Baertschi isn't just trying to get noticed as he knows his last shift might be his last for a few games regardless of how he plays?

Anyways I won't hijack this into a Vey defense thread any longer. I just don't see how anyone can compare the two.

Edited by RonMexico

I tend to agree with this. And like you I've supported and shown encouragement for Vey all season long. I just have a feeling the Baertschi is going to make him irrelevant down the line since he's arguably better than him now. Plus he's also got a higher upside. Throw the slightly bigger frame into the mix and you'll begin to see why Vey has a chance of becoming redundant.

Hardly a problem to have, as I said in the Vey thread:

He was never a blue chip top 5 pick, all but guaranteed to play by the time they're 20-21 kind of guy.

He's far more likely to be a Mason Raymond-esque complimentary top 6 - decent top 9 guy than some superstar and I think some folks are forgetting that context here in his rookie season.

If he becomes more than that, great. He does have some capacity/skill set for it. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with him becoming a serviceable, middle 6 forward who can play C/W and put up~40 points in his prime. Which is what I'm guessing he develops in to.

If we are fortunate enough to have better options than that in a few years for our middle 6, we can move him (with his increased value) to either plug other holes or gain picks/prospects.

I'm really not sure what all the concern and drama is about.

So when the Baer's, Virtanen's, Shinkaruk's etc start passing him...we simply move him for other assets.

Edited by J.R.

He and Vey should rotate into the line-up, they are both strong and weak in the same areas. Go with whoever is playing better.

All I know is that 3rd line kills our momentum almost every single game. Can't have that in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure thats the Horvat line, even though Desjardin calls it his 4th line.