The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Baertschi shows speed, good hands, and finish. He can set up plays and doesn't shy away from contact. He's a skill upgrade for this team and he's young. It looks like the Flames tried to us him as a bottom six type grinder and he doesn't fit that role. Then they gave up on him too soon. Let the kid play to his strengths, he'll develop a more complete game, enjoy the fact we got ourselves a good young player at a good price. He'll be stoked to play Calgary, this could be a good series.

Edited by clutesi

Vey had a filthy feed over to Bieksa on the 2nd goal. Cross ice, cross crease over to Juice for the wrap around. I'm starting to see what Vey brings is very subtle.

It was a nice feed, I wouldn't say it was filthy.

That was probably 1 of 3 plays I really saw him make last night, and while I do agree he does some little things right, the negatives outweigh the positives.

He's listed as 6"0 but plays like he's 5"9. For a guy who's praised for his offensive game, he seems to play with his head down a lot. His strength is really holding his back right now, and playing with Dorsett doesn't help his game.

I was actually really high on Vey at the start of the year, I thought he played better at the start of the year than he is now. He's not moving his feet, and for a guy who doesn't have a great footspeed or size to begin with, he can't keep up with the rest of the NHL.

Sven:

Sad to see him go down, but him being in Utica's stretch run for the playoffs will be good. If he does get called up again in the playoffs I hope he stays because this is the mistake Calgary made and bounced him around so much he couldn't find himself.

That must have been a fun conversation. "Nice pair of goals Sven, you're going back to Utica." In all seriousness I think he should finish off the year there unless something drastic happens. We need to get big for the playoffs, and know what he can do next year.

Are you seriously undermining his goals? Geez prospects can't win. Is it the first five hole goal you've ever seen in the nhl? On the second one he obviously went there again cause the gaping hole. marginal goals is a flipping paradox... a goal is a goal is a goal :picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard:

I didn't really view the comment as a slight against Sven, he did a lot of good things in both plays and took advantage of an opening when he saw it. Twice.

More of an indictment of Scrivens play. A better goalie probably would have had at least that first shot 9/10 times. Hence "not great goals" sentiment.

Sven did well to take advantage of those opportunities. Sure beats Higgins hitting the post or crest...lol

Edited by J.R.

Very surprised with Baertschi being sent down. I figured he would stay on as an extra forward. Maybe hes just going down to get a game or 2 in? Not sure what Utica's schedule is looking like though. Beartschi will probably get called up if the 2nd line is struggling to produce offense. I think the org wants to give Higgins every chance possible. He's shown he can be clutch when it matters so lets see what happens.

vey isnt a 200ft player

kassian is decent better than a bunxh of our players

baerchi just scored two goals and has talent not sure how he was a bad deal for a second rounder you obviously have not much clue in hockey matters your probably ten and should be put to bed your up past your bed time saying silly things

LOL someone doesn't get sarcasm

I'm okay with this move, was a tad surprised he was called up at all. Not that he didn't deserve it, but because Utica was rebuilding his confidence nicely. He didn't look out of place in the bigs, but if he hadn't scored two in a meaningless game against a bottom feeder would people be disappointed with this move?

Hopefully he sticks with Utica and they go all the way. They've got a legit shot at it. He'll get his spot next season.

• Upvote 1

Very surprised with Baertschi being sent down. I figured he would stay on as an extra forward. Maybe hes just going down to get a game or 2 in? Not sure what Utica's schedule is looking like though. Beartschi will probably get called up if the 2nd line is struggling to produce offense. I think the org wants to give Higgins every chance possible. He's shown he can be clutch when it matters so lets see what happens.

http://www.uticacomets.com/comets-2013-2014-schedule-1/

They play tonight and not again til Wednesday.

Sven is a special player. He has all the tools and brains to be an offensive juggernaut, and he's also not a liability in his own end. The goals he scored yesterday are goal scorers goals. He waited for an opening and the only option was 5 hole on both so he played the odds on the fly, underpressure, in lightning fast time. Isn't that more encouraging than rifling a shot into the goalies crest? If he saw an opening up high he would have see that and went shelf. His ability to process that information that quickly and have that kind of patience also is incredible. His on ice awareness, hockey iq, vision, and the way he anticipates the play is extremely high. He has the potential to be an elite player especially with Vrbata, Bonino, and the Sedins mentoring him along the way. We have a very sexy player here.

Edited by Tangerines

Wow! I can see some potential in Sven B but he is not the second coming. He is being rated as a 2LW and has not really played within the Canuck system for any period of time. Fans saw so much in 4 games? No one is exaggerating when they say that Scrivens should have had those shots that went in. This is not a put down of SB as he put the shots where he had to. He had better shots in previous games where he did not score. Hyping this kid beyond reason does him no favors.

Wow! I can see some potential in Sven B but he is not the second coming. He is being rated as a 2LW and has not really played within the Canuck system for any period of time. Fans saw so much in 4 games? No one is exaggerating when they say that Scrivens should have had those shots that went in. This is not a put down of SB as he put the shots where he had to. He had better shots in previous games where he did not score. Hyping this kid beyond reason does him no favors.

Tell that to WD - he is the one that is talking about how skilled Sven is, saying that his potential is exciting and that he can be a top-6 forward.

Tell that to WD - he is the one that is talking about how skilled Sven is, saying that his potential is exciting and that he can be a top-6 forward.

The coach is going with the team that got him to the POs. You don't change things up unless they faulter. Chemistry is vital.

WD said that Sven needs to play in the top 6 to be effective. Right now, that means Utica.

The coach is going with the team that got him to the POs. You don't change things up unless they faulter. Chemistry is vital.

WD said that Sven needs to play in the top 6 to be effective. Right now, that means Utica.

Likely won't play in the top 6 until 7 guys play their way out of the top 6