The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I most likely did lol.

Yeah , I was basically saying that Sven will almost certainly playing in our middle six next season barring injuries or the odd game he might need to sit for a break/message etc. Virtanen would likely be bottom 6 or (more likely IMO) back to junior (unfortunately).

Vey will, like this year, likely be our 13th forward. Neither of the above players are really vying for that spot. They're either on the team or not. They will not be "stop gaps".

Their competition is of the Higgins, Kassian, Matthias, Dorsett, Hansen, Kenins variety. Not Vey.

Grenier on the other hand just might nudge Vey out of that 13th spot if he keeps improving. Vey's got the ability to play centre to his advantage but Grenier's got size. Gaunce might push him too. This summer/fall will be interesting ;)

But first, playoffs!! :towel:

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah , I was basically saying that Sven will almost certainly playing in our middle six next season barring injuries or the odd game he might need to sit for a break/message etc. Virtanen would likely be bottom 6 or (more likely IMO) back to junior (unfortunately).

Vey will, like this year, likely be our 13th forward. Neither of the above players are really vying for that spot. They're either on the team or not. They will not be "stop gaps".

Their competition is of the Higgins, Kassian, Matthias, Dorsett, Hansen, Kenins variety. Not Vey.

Grenier on the other hand just might nudge Vey out of that 13th spot if he keeps improving. Vey's got the ability to play centre to his advantage but Grenier's got size. Gaunce might push him too. This summer/fall will be interesting ;)

But first, playoffs!! :towel:

Well put brotha!

I think our prospects that can win faceoffs will have a bit of edge come summer. I just have a hunch that Gauncer may be the next rookie to crack the lineup. So many capable bodies these days coming up. Whos to know. Would like to see Jake burying puck with a Canucks jersey on though. I excluded Vey and Cheeser. Think at the very least they both have worked themselves out of the prospect realm.

I think our prospects that can win faceoffs will have a bit of edge come summer. I just have a hunch that Gauncer may be the next rookie to crack the lineup. So many capable bodies these days coming up. Whos to know. Would like to see Jake burying puck with a Canucks jersey on though. I excluded Vey and Cheeser. Think at the very least they both have worked themselves out of the prospect realm.

Your profile pic is incredible.

Unfortunately Gaunce isn't even being used as a centre in Utica. Even with Jeffery traded and Acton out, the comets have sooner gone with Friesen, Zalweksi and LaBate. I like Gaunce's game and I think he's a responsible forward, but he's not going to bring the faceoff dyamic you would hope for. Maybe they'll convert him back to C next season?

Cassels on the otherhand could impress in the dot. Coaches voted him the best faceoff man in his conference in the OHL. He also received recognition for 2 way play, hardest worker, a nomination for mvp and best playmaker. Cassels could be the one who surprises in the fall. I think he's exactly like Laughton, they both played for the Generals under the same coaching staff, both were under ppg in their draft year and went on to big things following that. Both are of similar build, and play a similar style of responsible production. I can't wait to see what he has in the fall.

Baertschi is still considered a prospect till he gets a regular shift, which will surely happen in the fall. This team is getting younger and fast!

I really don't think Sven or Virtanen will be vying for the 13th forward position.

Come to think of it you are probably right. It is not ideal to have a young player under 25 to be your designated odd man out and 13th forward though.

I know Vey has plenty of AHL experience but he is still pretty raw in the little nuances of the pro game that are so key such as defensive awareness, face off ability and puck protection.

Maybe it opens up his eyes a bit and can have a Santorelli like off-season and come to camp as one of the most fit and improved guys and nail down one of those bottom six jobs.

Projecting next year's lineup at forward will be very interesting Jensen is close to being waiver eligible too I believe just like Corrado and you have to figure out what do with the extra d spots as well.

Some decent potential trade bait is likely 1 of Lack, Miller, Markstrom probably Jensen and Higgins maybe Grenier too.

Edited by Chip Kelly

sven sent down?

that's disappointing. he showed well in the games he's played. wasn't a defensive liability.

i hope the canucks aren't doing to sven what the flames did to him. would be a travesty.

this move doesn't make sense either.

He'll be on the roster next season, with richardson and matthias coming back there's no room for him right now unfortunately

If Richardson comes back at center and replaces Vey, I'd like to see Baertschi brought up again.

I think he is a much more talented player than Vey, who has also had quite a few defensive miscues lately.

Prefer to see a little more offensive firepower and speed than an average player like Vey.

Unfortunately Gaunce isn't even being used as a centre in Utica. Even with Jeffery traded and Acton out, the comets have sooner gone with Friesen, Zalweksi and LaBate. I like Gaunce's game and I think he's a responsible forward, but he's not going to bring the faceoff dyamic you would hope for. Maybe they'll convert him back to C next season?

Cassels on the otherhand could impress in the dot. Coaches voted him the best faceoff man in his conference in the OHL. He also received recognition for 2 way play, hardest worker, a nomination for mvp and best playmaker. Cassels could be the one who surprises in the fall. I think he's exactly like Laughton, they both played for the Generals under the same coaching staff, both were under ppg in their draft year and went on to big things following that. Both are of similar build, and play a similar style of responsible production. I can't wait to see what he has in the fall.

Baertschi is still considered a prospect till he gets a regular shift, which will surely happen in the fall. This team is getting younger and fast!

Laughton and Cassels, in my opinion, are very different players. Laughton is a very good skater, he's fast and a very agile guy. He is a better shooter than playmaker. Cole is a very smart player who is a better playmaker. Cole's shot isn't bad but it is far from guys like McCann. The only real comparable between the two is their grittiness.

It would have been amazing seeing sven light up burkey's flames in this 1st round.

If Richardson comes back at center and replaces Vey, I'd like to see Baertschi brought up again.

I think he is a much more talented player than Vey, who has also had quite a few defensive miscues lately.

Prefer to see a little more offensive firepower and speed than an average player like Vey.

Vey is a playmaker. Baertschi is a sniper. While we need both, we need the former more than the latter.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen is scoring at a point per game pace in juniors.

Baertschi is scoring at a point per game pace in the AHL.

Don't even bother comparing the two guys, they're at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to our depth chart. Right now, here's how our depth chart realistically looks IMO in terms of wingers and current readiness:

Daniel Sedin

Radim Vbrata

Alex Burrows

Chris Higgins

Brad Richardson (assuming he plays wing)

Linden Vey (an iffy one, but the way he's being treated he slots in here)

Zack Kassian

Jannick Hansen

Ronalds Kenins

Sven Baertschi

Nicklas Jensen

Hunter Shinkaruk (has gotten better as the season's worn on, won't crack our roster yet but he'll challenge)

Brendan Gaunce (mainly playing wing and playing it well, definately physically/defensively NHL ready the way Horvat was)

Jake Virtanen

I'm leaving out the likes of Grenier, Conacher and co. because I don't think they'll get as much of a chance as the Canuck's own 1st round picks. Gaunce and Shinkaruk may be on the brink of seeing a handful of NHL games next season and if they have a Kenins-like explosion onto the scene, they may well stick. I don't think we'll see much Conacher in a Canucks uniform due to his size and importance in Utica anyway.

As for Virtanen, the kid is still young and nowhere near NHL ready. I'd like to see how he fares in another season of junior followed by at least half an AHL season before he even gets a sniff at the NHL, and by then we'll have the likes of Higgins, Burrows and Vbrata all gone, with guys like Kassian, Vey, Baertschi and Jensen hopefully full time NHLers with a couple of fill-in UFAs if need be.

If Baer joins the squad next year, i'm imagining, if all goes well

Sedin's Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Kenins

Hansen McCann Dorsett

Higgins?

Great looking lineup.

That 2nd line would really get the most out of Bonino too. He's skilled, but doesn't really "lead" the offence. He can be the responsible one there and still have some fun in the offensive end too.

Kinda doubt McCann makes the team, but he's definitely earned a crack at the roster. Pre-season will be a whirlwind this year tbh.

Virtanen will likely get a little peek too. If Shink has ANOTHER strong camp you'd think they would have to give him some games too.

It's hard to tell who will emerge and when, but our next wave of the youth core is ready to graduate to the bigs (because once you're there you still need some seasoning before you can become an impact player). It's going to be tough to hand these guys spots in the lineup when they haven't proven anything, but it's pretty clear that these aren't just shiny new toys. These players are good, smart players and will be the future of this team/league.

Look at Horvat already. He's not just a local story, the entire league is loving his game right now. Imagine if he has a strong playoffs!

Every time I log on here almost everyone is dogging Vey like he is yesterday's garbage. He has had a decent rookie season. By decent I mean nothing special but he certainly hasn't been complete junk.

But comparing a player who played a handful of games to one who has played 70+ is a terrible comparison. Whats to say that Baertschi isn't just trying to get noticed as he knows his last shift might be his last for a few games regardless of how he plays?

Anyways I won't hijack this into a Vey defense thread any longer. I just don't see how anyone can compare the two.

to be fair, Cheezer has played in 69 NHL games now, and he has always shown more than vey has. I'm not discrediting vey here, but Cheezer is a far superior player.

Baertschi NHL totals: 69GP 10G 20A 30Pts 26PIM

Vey NHL totals: 93GP 10G 19A 29Pts 18PIM

That speaks volumes, and it includes all the misused and mismanaged confidence-killing time on the Flames.

And now I must make the accompanying Strongbad. Man...so cool

Vey and Sven B are different players and different positions. I doubt either see a lot of playoff time.

Matthias will get the LW and Richardson will be the 3C.

If you are comparing LW then a fairer discussion might be Sven B vs Ronalds Kennins. In this scenario

I still think that SB would sit. My take is that WD likes the Horvat line to be more 'heavier' than what Sven brings. Their ability to work the boards generates puck possession with scoring chances.

These playoffs have career implications for some Van players IMHO. Higgins and Matthias both have to perform as I can see both Sven B and Kennins challenging next year.