The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I think Beartschi is pretty solid. Hes going to get all the opportunity he can hope for. Really its up to him and I think he will be fine. In regards to his two goal evening. Some of the credit has to go to it being " Get the kids goals night ". Vrbata looked on a mission to just get him the puck ASAP, every single time. He didnt look weak or small which really bodes well for him.

So what you're saying is he scores on nights when people pass him the puck?:)

The funny thing about all the "Higgins isn't a 2nd liner" talk is that Chris Higgins probably agrees with most of it.

Chris's brother posts from time-to-time on HFBoards and he actually mentioned this issue recently. In a nutshell, he said that Higgins would very much prefer to play a 3rd line role and feels that he's playing a little "above his pay grade" when he's tasked with a scoring role in the Canucks' top-six (sorry I can't link the post right now, but it was from the last 1-2 months--and the Mods on HFBoards claim to have checked and confirmed the ID of Higgins' brother's account).

It's just interesting because it seems like, at times (especially when Chris gets into one of his inevitable scoring slumps), people get on Higgins for not performing up to their expectations of "top-six" scoring. But he's really not even playing a role he wants on this team or where he feels truly comfortable or effective. Higgins is just being a good pro and doing whatever the coaches ask of him (as he's always done throughout his career).

It's on the coaches and management. The coaches pick the lines and the deployment/usage. Management supplies the personnel (or lack thereof).

A player is asked to perform to the best of his abilities (which Higgins does every game--there's no questioning his work ethic IMO). It's up to coaching and management to put a player in the position where he fits and can best succeed.

And I'm sure they know how Chris feels about his role.

I would imagine that Willie just doesn't believe that he has a better option (in the immediate sense) than Higgins for the #2LW spot on this season's team. And he's probably right about that on most nights.

As for Benning, his acquisition of Baertschi and his draft choices (Virtanen) seem to suggest he trying to upgrade the winger options for the top-six. He's already done well on the right side with adding Vrbata. And hopefully we'll see things come to fruition on the left side soon.

I agree with most posters on here that the natural fit for Baertschi next season is at #2LW. Hopefully he proves he's ready. And hopefully that allows Higgins to slide back to #3LW (assuming he's still a Canuck) and play the kind of role he's clearly best suited for.

But until then, you won't ever hear me dogging on Chris Higgins. Desjardins and/or Benning, on the other hand... ;)

This seems to be the definitive answer to me. For now, Higgins stays on the 2nd line, and I agree that the coach and GM are hoping Baertschi slots there fairly soon.

... I still think Matthias gets a look at 2LW if he is re-signed. When you look at the size of all the real playoff contenders they are huge. Hard to walk away from Matthias if his game can be re-

fined.

If they re-sign him that makes sense. I don't expect they will. My guess is that next season Baertschi is expected to play 2nd line LW and Higgins 3rd line LW.

Further, if the Canucks brass saw Matthias as their 2nd line LW, there's been more than enough opportunity for them to decide that this season. They've tried him there but returned to Higgins as the 2nd line LW.

There is a very large difference of opinion on CDC about the value of Matthias, so many will, as Boudrais, want to see him re-signed and see him as a 2nd line LW. I'll leave that for people to argue the value and abilities of Matthias on a Matthias thread.

Edited by tyhee
  • Upvote 1

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Kassian-Vey-Dorsett

I see Richardson and Matthias let go. They would no longer fit on our team with the new salaries for Dorsett and Sbisa (which were terrible cap hits!).

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Kassian-Vey-Dorsett

I see Richardson and Matthias let go. They would no longer fit on our team with the new salaries for Dorsett and Sbisa (which were terrible cap hits!).

I have pretty much the same line-up. And I certainly agree about Richardson, Matthias, and the cap hits for Dorsett and Sbisa. But I think there is at least an outside chance that Cassels makes the team and Vey ends up as 13th man. Also, you do not have Kenins in your line-up. I think he will be there. Higgins could be traded for draft picks (and to clear cap room). And I am not sure about Kassian. If his back problem is serious he could require surgery or be out for a while. And if his back prevents him from playing an aggressive physical game then I don't see how he makes the team ahead of Kenins.

Tyhee

I agree with you and Sid about Higgins. He is a very good 3LW and I would like to see him back there. This would be putting him in a position to succeed.

All year there has been discussion about the lack of a true 2nd line on the Canucks. Higgins has been a fixture on the 2nd line because he is capable defensively but he doesn't really have the offensive pop to compete against top defenders.

People call for Higgins to be traded because he has been miscast. Unfortunately, there is nobody else to take the spot on the present roster..

Which brings me to Matthias. Really a 3LW as well.

I think that they can keep 1 of the above long term. Higgins is 31, Matthias is 27.

Sven Baertschi looks like he has the offensive pop to play 2LW but he is young and may not be quite ready defensively. If he makes the team as 2LW, he will have to play with defensively responsible players. Bonino is one.

Tyhee

I agree with you and Sid about Higgins. He is a very good 3LW and I would like to see him back there. This would be putting him in a position to succeed.

All year there has been discussion about the lack of a true 2nd line on the Canucks. Higgins has been a fixture on the 2nd line because he is capable defensively but he doesn't really have the offensive pop to compete against top defenders.

People call for Higgins to be traded because he has been miscast. Unfortunately, there is nobody else to take the spot on the present roster..

Which brings me to Matthias. Really a 3LW as well.

I think that they can keep 1 of the above long term. Higgins is 31, Matthias is 27.

Sven Baertschi looks like he has the offensive pop to play 2LW but he is young and may not be quite ready defensively. If he makes the team as 2LW, he will have to play with defensively responsible players. Bonino is one.

Sven B; Hasn't proven anything yet but he will get his chance next fall.

Matthias: Hasn't had a serious look at 2LW. He is on the bubble.

Higgins: Probably between him and Matthias as to who stays. The only out is if Matthias is moved to C.

Richardson & Bonino: I suspect that Horvat centers the 2nd line by mid season next year. Where does that leave these two?

*** The caveat on all this speculation is WD's 4 line role. It is critical to keeping the Twins

effective IMHO. It helps other players establish their games as they get decent TOI.

yeah i would let matthias walk and put higgins on 3rd line...re-sign richardson too the center depth is too important especially for playoffs + faceoffs

sedin sedin burrows
baertschi bonino vrbata
higgins horvat kassian
dorsett richardson hansen

extra forwards: kenins, vey

Edited by Oliewud

Sven B; Hasn't proven anything yet but he will get his chance next fall.

Matthias: Hasn't had a serious look at 2LW. He is on the bubble.

Higgins: Probably between him and Matthias as to who stays. The only out is if Matthias is moved to C.

Richardson & Bonino: I suspect that Horvat centers the 2nd line by mid season next year. Where does that leave these two?

*** The caveat on all this speculation is WD's 4 line role. It is critical to keeping the Twins

effective IMHO. It helps other players establish their games as they get decent TOI.

might be too much of a jump for horvat to be 2C. 3C next year, I can see.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins gone

That line up could easily be the set up come March next year. Kassian and Sven B still have a lot to

prove. Horvat as 2C is well within the realm of possibility considering his progression this year.

Bonino has been a disappointment but could come around. Frustrating for Vrbata who is the only top 6

quality player on the so called 2nd line.

I will still suggest that Kenins could be a big surprise next year. +200 pounds that can skate, handle the puck, has a wicked shot and will play physical. His destiny is not at 4LW.

That line up could easily be the set up come March next year. Kassian and Sven B still have a lot to

prove. Horvat as 2C is well within the realm of possibility considering his progression this year.

Bonino has been a disappointment but could come around. Frustrating for Vrbata who is the only top 6

quality player on the so called 2nd line.

I will still suggest that Kenins could be a big surprise next year. +200 pounds that can skate, handle the puck, has a wicked shot and will play physical. His destiny is not at 4LW.

Bonino hasn't been a disappointment whatsoever. He's our best defensive forward and 4th in scoring during the regular season. He also is 2nd in GWGs with 6 only Vrbata, who has 7, has more.

Not to mention the fact that he is getting paid less than Hansen and Higgins at 1.9M in cap for the next 3 seasons.

Bones is a bargain.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Why would we re-sign richardson?

He's had a terrible yr. Old and injured.

I'd rather we trade for or sign a legit second line center.

Center is our weakest position.

This move would make us a legit contender next yr.

Sedin -Sedin -Kassian
Baertschi -Legit 2nd Ctr -Vrbata
Higgins -Bonino -Burrows
Dorsett -Horvat -Hansen

so getting back to sven.

I hope he rips it up in the playoffs so we bring him up and play him.

Why would we re-sign richardson?

He's had a terrible yr. Old and injured.

I'd rather we trade for or sign a legit second line center.

Center is our weakest position.

This move would make us a legit contender next yr.

Sedin -Sedin -Kassian

Baertschi -Legit 2nd Ctr -Vrbata

Higgins -Bonino -Burrows

Dorsett -Horvat -Hansen

so getting back to sven.

I hope he rips it up in the playoffs so we bring him up and play him.

Legit 2nd line centres are hard to come by. Not many better options than Bones. Most either would cost an arm and a leg to acquire or would cost too much money.

We might have a chance at signing Soderberg if we can dump some salary. Brad Richards and Mike Fisher are our other two options but they are old. Soderberg fits perfectly into that not too young, not to old category.