The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

I'll give Dorse a bump since no one else has said anything about him. Seems like a good character guy but his brand of hockey player is getting phased out of the league. I feel lIke he's obsolete on this team, especially with our fourth line becoming a development line.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

He's one of the fastest skaters in the league and he actually has good hockey sense and a nice pair of hands.  He's not like Sestito who basically a pylon with fists.  Along with his leadership and work ethic, he is very valuable imo. 

Exactly.  Dorset is the type of player that replaces the classic "goon".  He can actually play up and down the line up as needed.  He can play lots of minutes, and PK.  He's a very valuable piece.  I bet he's really happy we have Gudbrandson too.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/1/2016 at 11:42 PM, Qwags said:

It's nice that Dorset is no longer the only tough guy we have. Gudbranson, Pedan, and Trauma bring all that and more to the table.

Hahaha love it, because his hits are so devastating they'll give you Trauma.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2016 at 4:46 AM, The 5th Line said:

He's one of the fastest skaters in the league and he actually has good hockey sense and a nice pair of hands.  He's not like Sestito who basically a pylon with fists.  Along with his leadership and work ethic, he is very valuable imo. 

I think you are dead wrong the future of forward lines is 3 scoring lines and then a 4th checking line or development line to give players experience .

Benning even mentioned he noticed a new trend to pit younger skill players on the 4th line with speed who can forecheck and still chip in goals.

Look at Penguins with Kuhnackl and Rust with Cullen on the 4th line. That's what you want. Not old school 4th liners like Prust and Dorsett.

20 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How am I dead wrong if you are basically saying what I did.  Dorsett is an extremely good skater who can actually play.  He plays on the fourth line and will show young players how to work hard and how to push back.  Dorsett is not an old school 4th liner, I would consider him a new school fourth liner.  Sestito is an example of old school 4th liner

Dorsett is kind of small, isn't he?  He's certainly not a typical 3 minute goon.  I think having Pedan on the line with Dorsett, could really help too.

• Upvote 1

Dorsett can actually get in on the forecheck, has great speed and is able to create scoring chances. Add to the fact that he probably has the most guts in the entire league (fights guys twice his size on a regular basis), and he is invaluable to the team. 

He also plays on the PK and is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Usually the only vocal guy on the bench, and probably the only guy who initiates in scrums. Hopefully the added toughness will let him focus on playing well rather than worrying about protecting our guys. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Dorsett can actually get in on the forecheck, has great speed and is able to create scoring chances. Add to the fact that he probably has the most guts in the entire league (fights guys twice his size on a regular basis), and he is invaluable to the team. 

He also plays on the PK and is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Usually the only vocal guy on the bench, and probably the only guy who initiates in scrums. Hopefully the added toughness will let him focus on playing well rather than worrying about protecting our guys. 

21 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Yea^

People ripping Dorsett spend to much time in an easy chair I'm thinking. He's a warrior in the trenches and has the heart of a lion.

I don't mind his contract.

Absolutely! x 2

On 15/06/2016 at 3:40 PM, The 5th Line said:

.  Dorsett is an extremely good skater who can actually play.  He plays on the fourth line and will show young players how to work hard and how to push back.  Dorsett is not an old school 4th liner, I would consider him a new school fourth liner.  Sestito is an example of old school 4th liner

Ok. Still rather have Matt Martin if you want a guy who runs around and his hits actually have an impact unlike Dorsett. He tries hard don't get me wrong just not sure if it helps possession and goal scoring if he plays with guys like Etem or Granlund/Vey.

I would still think a guy like Dorsett would be out of place on an actual contenders 4th line. He is very overpaid imo still and is very lucky he got the contract he did.

Hansen is probably the most underpaid player in the league right now along with Bonino in terms of guys who are vets.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

He's not the best fighter but he shows up. Something we need every once in a while--somebody has to--looking down the bench he always seems to get the nod. 

Now we have a couple more physical guys--we will still need guys to answer the bell from time to time. 

Who else will?

Why not keep a guy that has that skill like Dors until we develop another tough young forward to step in. I think there's a young guy we signed in Utica that's tough.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's not the best fighter but he shows up. Something we need every once in a while--somebody has to--looking down the bench he always seems to get the nod. 

Now we have a couple more physical guys--we will still need guys to answer the bell from time to time. 

Who else will?

Why not keep a guy that has that skill like Dors until we develop another tough young forward to step in. I think there's a young guy we signed in Utica that's tough.

The thing I have always liked about Dorsett is that he is not always reactive. Some night he simply goes out and stirs the drink a little. Hordichuk used to be like that in his day. Dorsett is a solid hockey player who covers all facets of the game. At some point his time here will have ran its course but fans should appreciate what they have in him now.

• Upvote 4