The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

Thanks for sharing, Deb. That letter was amazing. What is it with Canucks and passionate writing? Seems like our management knows how to get the right players.

Dorse really was and is a heart and soul guy. I have so much respect for him.

• Like 3

Wow. That was tough to read. 

Reminded me of when I blew up my wrist in juniors and that was it. (Don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t even a 1/4 of the player Dorsett is.)

Respect to Dorsett. You were a great warrior and I have a tonne of respect for your play and work ethic. All the best to you and your family... 

I’m not crying... you’re crying... :(

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Wow. That was tough to read. 

Reminded me of when I blew up my wrist in juniors and that was it. (Don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t even a 1/4 of the player Dorsett is.)

Respect to Dorsett. You were a great warrior and I have a tonne of respect for your play and work ethic. All the best to you and your family... 

I’m not crying... you’re crying... :(

Yup, I’m crying.  And it’s a good cry.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I didn't add a comment to the letter, as I was still digesting it and wanted it to stand alone.  But we so often hear of "tanking" and acquiring top picks, etc. and that is very important component to probable success, but this also underlines the other part.  The need to have guys with a bit of experience under their belt...both life and hockey related who get through adversity and can share their stories.

I am so proud of the solid foundation of this team over the years....they truly have had gone through a lot of things that show their strength and resilience and how to play the game graciously as well as fiercely.  The ones who kids can look up to, not just for their contributions on ice, but as men they can aspire to be like.  It gets a little deep and heavy, but my heart feels that way in knowing that DD is packing it in.  I am taking from this that he is handling this well and that's an important message that he's sharing.  He's not looking at the half empty glass but reflecting on the half full one.  Quality, not quantity.  And I thank him from the bottom of my heart for sharing these thoughts so we can rest a little easier knowing he's ok.

Not only was he a brave warrior on the ice, but he's obviously applying that to his life and handling this like a true champion.

Hard to read Dorsett's letter without respecting the guy at the highest level. As fans we tend to slot players into preconceived ideas of who they are and what motivates them. The beauty of DD's letter is that it blows a lot of that thinking out of the water. I always liked DD not just for his ice play but because of a interview he gave from the seat of a John Deer tractor out in Saskatchewan. Down to earth guy who's idea of work was established from a young age. 'Don't feel sorry for me'. Wow! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What's happening? Our former players are showing up like weeds around the NHL. Our team has always had a great compete and this is now shown as our heart and soul guy move up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

What's happening? Our former players are showing up like weeds around the NHL. Our team has always had a great compete and this is now shown as our heart and soul guy move up.

It is an interesting phemonenon

many of these guys have had suitcase careers

Dorsett played about 1/3 of his 3 team career in Vancouver

Marty Gelinas played 1/5 of his 7 team career in Van

Jason Labarbara played 1/20 of his 6 team career in Van

Marco Sturm played 1/156 of his 6 team career here

Marc Bergevin played his final 9/1191 games as a Canuck which included 7 other teams with 2 stops in Tampa, Pittsburg and StL

Manny Malhotra played 1/6 of his 7 team career with us

Alex Burrows played 90 % of his 2 team career in Vancouver but bounced around the ECHL before finding a home in Winnipeg/Vancouver

Rick Bowness never played in Vancouver but the Canucks are 1/8 teams he has coached

Vig has coached 4 other teams

Torts has coached 5 other team

Sulivan 4

Gulutzan 3 others

A couple of guys who really got their start in Vancouver are Brian Burke and George McPhee (both hired by Pat Quinn)

I think a couple of things are at play here

Some of these guys had long, transient careers and passed through Vancouver at some point, Lababs/Strum/Bergevin probably cannot tell you the name of the hotel they lived in in Vancover

Gelinas and Malhotra combined to play in nearly 1/2 the rest of the league, while Burrows did his travelling before making the bigs. Often well travelled players become coaches

Derek Dorsett (and Malhotra as a coach)  is the only one connected to the current regime, he is a product of Jim's "Character guy" theory

Bones came with Vig, while Torts brought Sully + Gully

McPhee and Burke, the oldsters and most successful were groomed by Pat Quinn

Did I miss anyone? Probably

Did I answer your question, or just create more?

Who could say?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

It is an interesting phemonenon

many of these guys have had suitcase careers

Dorsett played about 1/3 of his 3 team career in Vancouver

Marty Gelinas played 1/5 of his 7 team career in Van

Jason Labarbara played 1/20 of his 6 team career in Van

Marco Sturm played 1/156 of his 6 team career here

Marc Bergevin played his final 9/1191 games as a Canuck which included 7 other teams with 2 stops in Tampa, Pittsburg and StL

Manny Malhotra played 1/6 of his 7 team career with us

Alex Burrows played 90 % of his 2 team career in Vancouver but bounced around the ECHL before finding a home in Winnipeg/Vancouver

Rick Bowness never played in Vancouver but the Canucks are 1/8 teams he has coached

Vig has coached 4 other teams

Torts has coached 5 other team

Sulivan 4

Gulutzan 3 others

A couple of guys who really got their start in Vancouver are Brian Burke and George McPhee (both hired by Pat Quinn)

I think a couple of things are at play here

Some of these guys had long, transient careers and passed through Vancouver at some point, Lababs/Strum/Bergevin probably cannot tell you the name of the hotel they lived in in Vancover

Gelinas and Malhotra combined to play in nearly 1/2 the rest of the league, while Burrows did his travelling before making the bigs. Often well travelled players become coaches

Derek Dorsett (and Malhotra as a coach)  is the only one connected to the current regime, he is a product of Jim's "Character guy" theory

Bones came with Vig, while Torts brought Sully + Gully

McPhee and Burke, the oldsters and most successful were groomed by Pat Quinn

Did I miss anyone? Probably

Did I answer your question, or just create more?

Who could say?

Kron, Nill, Crawford, Salo, Campbell

my dark horses are Juice and Hansen

I actually enjoy the flavoring of league with our guys. Don't we have a old goalie out there too. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...