The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The thing I have always liked about Dorsett is that he is not always reactive. Some night he simply goes out and stirs the drink a little. Hordichuk used to be like that in his day. Dorsett is a solid hockey player who covers all facets of the game. At some point his time here will have ran its course but fans should appreciate what they have in him now.

Agreed. His goals are bonus from the 4th line. And as long as he can keep up with the faster pace of todays game. He's not part of the development line thing but who really knows what that is anyway. 

Poor Dorsett.  I crap on him extra hard because I love Bo, and I don't want him stuck on a line with Dorsett and Etem.  I feel like Willy is going to try and use Bo on the 4th line with those two...which would be a big mistake in my opinion. 

I'm really trying to change my attitude on Dorsett though, I agree he is a great 4th line asset and we should appreciate what we have in him.

...now that wasn't hard at all.

On 19 June 2016 at 4:27 PM, LaBamba said:

To all the peeps saying stuff like

"oh he is such a fast skater"

"such a character guy"

"sticks up for his teammates"

"has good hockey sense"

Fast skater = going nowhere fast. 

Great hockey sense? 5G 11A say otherwise. Those totals are absolutely inexcusable for the money he makes. His 16 points were easily offset by our PK's lack of ability to kill his +100 penalty minutes.

We need someone to start sticking up for him because my gosh does he ever suck at fighting. I don't think watching a teammate hug another man while he punches the hell out of the side of his face is uplifting ether. "Dorsett just got speed bagged I'm so energized" is what the other team says. 

I know deep down inside you guys can't be serious when you praise Dorsett.

It's nothing more than group therapy. An attempt to suppress these horrible feelings. 

Do you watch the games? Your post says no, highlights maybe but full attention span games? - unlikely. 

Dorsett is the complete team player, and by that I don't just mean he steps up to defend his team mates, I mean he plays a "sacrificial game" that is why if you go back to his previous teams he is so loved and respected, he is all heart. That is why players out on the ice with him e.g. Horvat, Kenins, etc played so well. That is why players develop so well playing with him. 

You say he sucks at fighting, I stay he excels at not being beaten despite his relative size. That is why he is worth his weight in gold, because he seldom gives a lift to the opposition unlike some we have had in that role. He also seldom gives away stupid penalties, something of a rarity in a 4th liner.

Maybe you should just go and watch some youtube videos of him.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Do you watch the games? Your post says no, highlights maybe but full attention span games? - unlikely. 

Dorsett is the complete team player, and by that I don't just mean he steps up to defend his team mates, I mean he plays a "sacrificial game" that is why if you go back to his previous teams he is so loved and respected, he is all heart. That is why players out on the ice with him e.g. Horvat, Kenins, etc played so well. That is why players develop so well playing with him. 

You say he sucks at fighting, I stay he excels at not being beaten despite his relative size. That is why he is worth his weight in gold, because he seldom gives a lift to the opposition unlike some we have had in that role. He also seldom gives away stupid penalties, something of a rarity in a 4th liner.

Maybe you should just go and watch some youtube videos of him.

C'mon man Dorsett was like an anchor when he played with Bo or anybody in the top 6. He also does take penalties at the wrong time and lot's of them. He is a 4th line grinder that should only get 6 minutes a game instead of 12-14 playing on the 2nd or 3rd line in a lot of games Willie style. I have never seen a guy get set up in the slot 5ft from the net and smash the puck 5ft wide of it than Dorsett. Youtube videos? for every one he wins there are 10  not shown where he gets fed big time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ice orca said:

C'mon man Dorsett was like an anchor when he played with Bo or anybody in the top 6. He also does take penalties at the wrong time and lot's of them. He is a 4th line grinder that should only get 6 minutes a game instead of 12-14 playing on the 2nd or 3rd line in a lot of games Willie style. I have never seen a guy get set up in the slot 5ft from the net and smash the puck 5ft wide of it than Dorsett. Youtube videos? for every one he wins there are 10  not shown where he gets fed big time.

Bo actually had a pretty good rookie year with Dorsett on his line, and they actually had some pretty good chemistry together.  So, I'm not sure what you were watching.  Hate to sound cliche, but Dorsett has those "intangibles" that are hard to measure.  Think Kevin Bieksa.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

Well we agree to disagree, on good terms.

i'ld love to see dorsett back on a line with bo and baer...he'll allow them to get more creative. it is funny how when someone grows to dislike a player, from that point on, he can't do anything right. the dor man serves a purpose on this team. personally, i like the guy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld love to see dorsett back on a line with bo and baer...he'll allow them to get more creative. it is funny how when someone grows to dislike a player, from that point on, he can't do anything right. the dor man serves a purpose on this team. personally, i like the guy.

We needed to get him some help up front!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Derek Dorsett braves the elements and manages to catch a fish in the pouring rain. Dorsett, alongside boat mate Sven Baertschi, took part in the 2016 Fishing For Kids Tournament up in Haida Gwaii in support of the Canucks Autism Network.

Beauty. Love to see these guys supporting a good cause and taking part in BC's great outdoor heritage! 

23 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Derek Dorsett braves the elements and manages to catch a fish in the pouring rain. Dorsett, alongside boat mate Sven Baertschi, took part in the 2016 Fishing For Kids Tournament up in Haida Gwaii in support of the Canucks Autism Network.

That is a far cry from driving a JD tractor out on the bald prairies.

On 2016-08-12 at 0:58 PM, smithers joe said:

Sticking Dorsett with Bo is a massive demotion to Bo, more then he's already getting because he'll be spending the season with the hard defensive assignments to alleviate Sutter.

Also, it's funny how when someone grows to like a player, from that point on, he can't do anything wrong. :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

Sticking Dorsett with Bo is a massive demotion to Bo, more then he's already getting because he'll be spending the season with the hard defensive assignments to alleviate Sutter.

Also, it's funny how when someone grows to like a player, from that point on, he can't do anything wrong. :)

and also if someone doesn't like a player, he can't do anything right. i think dorsett gives bo and his line mate more room. bo, eventually will be our ##2 center and will need a different kind of line mates. right now he is learning the defensive role. he might switch with sutter before the year is out. if they were going with 3 scoring lines than dorsett might not fit there.

• Cheers 1

On 8/8/2016 at 5:50 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

He's not the best fighter but he shows up. Something we need every once in a while--somebody has to--looking down the bench he always seems to get the nod. 

Now we have a couple more physical guys--we will still need guys to answer the bell from time to time. 

Who else will?

Why not keep a guy that has that skill like Dors until we develop another tough young forward to step in. I think there's a young guy we signed in Utica that's tough.

Yep.  All of Pedan's fights are rated high and he's won almost all of them on hockeyfights.com, maybe if forces himself onto the line-up  Dorsett won't have to fight as much.  Dors is usually outmatched and although he tries hard gets the worse of it.  Of course we have Try who may or may not fair well if he drops them - not enough video anywhere to know for sure - and Guddy is a bit of a nuclear deterent as well.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, smithers joe said:

and also if someone doesn't like a player, he can't do anything right. i think dorsett gives bo and his line mate more room. bo, eventually will be our ##2 center and will need a different kind of line mates. right now he is learning the defensive role. he might switch with sutter before the year is out. if they were going with 3 scoring lines than dorsett might not fit there.

I think you nailed it. On a rebuilding team the lineups will be fluid based on how players mesh and how quickly they develop. Dorsett has a pretty solid record on both ends of the ice. That said depending on how the roster evolves I would not be surprised to see either Burrows or Dorsett moved at the TDL.

55 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you nailed it. On a rebuilding team the lineups will be fluid based on how players mesh and how quickly they develop. Dorsett has a pretty solid record on both ends of the ice. That said depending on how the roster evolves I would not be surprised to see either Burrows or Dorsett moved at the TDL.

agreed ...until the younger players can push the older players out, the coach puts the line up on the ice, he feels gives them the best chance to win.. you can't blame the coach for that. 

if this team is as bad as many people claim they will be, how can you blame the coach for that.? 

• Upvote 1