The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

• 3 months later...

Is Dorsetts career over? With neck surgery Dorsett won't be able to play like he used to. Plus he is getting older. Whats the chance he has to retire? Bought out? He isn't an offensive guy so how does he fit in with the team in years to come? Any ideas? Is he worth anything in a trade?

20 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Is Dorsetts career over? With neck surgery Dorsett won't be able to play like he used to. Plus he is getting older. Whats the chance he has to retire? Bought out? He isn't an offensive guy so how does he fit in with the team in years to come? Any ideas? Is he worth anything in a trade?

I think he's still got a career to play, but that will be determined by what we do with him. His spot is definitely in danger, so I'm interested to see if we choose to waive him or just keep him as a 13th forward. Who knows? Maybe he'll still be a serviceable 4th line guy. He's always been a hard worker.

28 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I think he's still got a career to play, but that will be determined by what we do with him. His spot is definitely in danger, so I'm interested to see if we choose to waive him or just keep him as a 13th forward. Who knows? Maybe he'll still be a serviceable 4th line guy. He's always been a hard worker.

ya but what is he going to do on that fourth line. Im no expert on neck injuries but you'd think that you would shy away from hitting and definitely wouldn't be fighting. Whiplash is another factor to worry about. I just don't see where he fits in on any team. If Im benning I try to trade him, let Vegas take him or waive him and hope someone grabs him. He might be a good guy to have in Utica as a mentor but don't see how else he fits. Looking like another bad UFA signing thats going to be stuck with us.

59 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

ya but what is he going to do on that fourth line. Im no expert on neck injuries but you'd think that you would shy away from hitting and definitely wouldn't be fighting. Whiplash is another factor to worry about. I just don't see where he fits in on any team. If Im benning I try to trade him, let Vegas take him or waive him and hope someone grabs him. He might be a good guy to have in Utica as a mentor but don't see how else he fits. Looking like another bad UFA signing thats going to be stuck with us.

When you say that, what's the endgame?  Even as a 4th liner / 13th forward does it actually hurt the team?

You've already referenced that he's a good team/culture guy... if the team isn't a contender, why not pay a little extra for Derek's leadership? 

For the record, I think he'll be back next year as physical as ever.  He's one tough cookie.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

When you say that, what's the endgame?  Even as a 4th liner / 13th forward does it actually hurt the team?

You've already referenced that he's a good team/culture guy... if the team isn't a contender, why not pay a little extra for Derek's leadership? 

For the record, I think he'll be back next year as physical as ever.  He's one tough cookie.

I disagree, who knows how this neck injury will affect him and his play. Also he affects are cap hit for a couple years and can affect us signing other players. If he can't play his style then theres no point having him. Leadership is great but if a player can't play, that leadership may evaporate due to his frustration. The last thing we want is a guy not playing well and being depressed about it, brings down the whole team. Who knows, maybe he'll come back and play well, but his neck may be in the back of his mind and affect his play. If you want examples of what I thinks going to happen then look at what happened to Prust and Higgins. Good leaders but if you can't play then your not of much use anymore. Injuries end careers.

Also it hurts the team because you can put in a younger guy with more upside such as Crammer, Chaput or Labate. Guys that play with energy and are competing hard to earn spots.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Looking like another bad UFA signing thats going to be stuck with us.

I don't think it's fair to criticize the signing as a result of this injury. How was JB supposed to know Dorsett would have such a bad injury? It can be debated as to whether or not the signing was bad, but using an unforeseeable event that happened after the signing as evidence of a bad signing seems unreasonable. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I disagree, who knows how this neck injury will affect him and his play. Also he affects are cap hit for a couple years and can affect us signing other players. If he can't play his style then theres no point having him. Leadership is great but if a player can't play, that leadership may evaporate due to his frustration. The last thing we want is a guy not playing well and being depressed about it, brings down the whole team. Who knows, maybe he'll come back and play well, but his neck may be in the back of his mind and affect his play. If you want examples of what I thinks going to happen then look at what happened to Prust and Higgins. Good leaders but if you can't play then your not of much use anymore. Injuries end careers.

Also it hurts the team because you can put in a younger guy with more upside such as Crammer, Chaput or Labate. Guys that play with energy and are competing hard to earn spots.

If he can't play after the surgery he'll go on LTIR and none of that will be a factor. 

I guess if the "worst case scenario" pans out and he is healthy enough to play, but gunshy about playing his game it could be a negative.  At that point, they can waive him to Utica if they want. 

There are outs for the club if that's what happens.  Again, I'd rather bet on Derek's toughness.

7 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I don't think it's fair to criticize the signing as a result of this injury. How was JB supposed to know Dorsett would have such a bad injury? It can be debated as to whether or not the signing was bad, but using an unforeseeable event that happened after the signing as evidence of a bad signing seems unreasonable. 

You're right, I was just referencing that the Canucks might get stuck with a bad contract.

I would hope that any decision Dorsett himself makes is with his health in mind, not his bank account. Medicine is such that athletes are coming back from injuries that in years past were career ending. Dorsett always brought an edge, surprising speed and just enough offense that he wasn't an embarrassment on the ice. But...he is now on the wrong side of 30 with a contract that is an overpayment for his services. I would like to see him a little in the pre-season; if he is tentative or just can't beat out guys like Labate and Cram, waive to Utica. Let him decide if playing in the AHL is worth his health or not. There's too many guys in that league that resemble Dave Schultz, or for you younger guys, Gino Odjick; Dorsett is not the biggest guy in the world, and some of those 6'5" "grinders" (read goons, more properly) will go after him if for no other reason than to add a former NHL tough guy to their resume.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-03-12 at 3:31 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Good point - his neck will most certainly be just below the back of his mind at all times.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:20 AM, Boudrias said:

I thought it would come down to a choice between But and Dorsett as who stayed next year. Dorsett's injury and an excellent deal for Burrows told the tale. Even at that Dorsett has no lock and could be bumped in the fall.

I'm liking Cramarossa as a potential replacement, younger and cheaper.  Despite his salary, Dorsett would still have value on the trade market.