The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

Easily the softest and easiest team to play against in the west and maybe the league. One of maybe two guys on the team that's capable and does stand up for himself and his team mates. Not an easy position/role for a guy that's had injury problems. I Feel bad for him and can't see him being effective on a team like Vancouver anymore. 

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if he fights any more? 

I saw enough in his game to suggest he has the speed and skill to be a top 4th liner without the fighting side. I don't expect him to lose his physicality but I think he can still be big for this team. He's earned his rest from fighting the team's battles.

Like Miller I think Dorsett is underrated by the fans.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if he fights any more? 

I saw enough in his game to suggest he has the speed and skill to be a top 4th liner without the fighting side. I don't expect him to lose his physicality but I think he can still be big for this team. He's earned his rest from fighting the team's battles.

Like Miller I think Dorsett is underrated by the fans.

He is a decent player, but without him to step up, there is no one...

Thus in that case I think, somebody else would probably take his spot, whether it would be unfair or not.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think Dorsett is underrated by the fans.

He absolutely is.  He has decent speed so he is not a detriment there, and plays with more grit than virtually any of our other players.  He is really quite an ideal 4th liner, and I'm happy to have him on this team.

I think where many fans (myself included) raise their eyebrows is to the fact that he makes over 2 1/2 million to do what he does.  It could be argued that his salary is a little on the high side for what he brings, and it's simply a fact that you can't ice a competitive team if you are paying 50-100% more than other teams are for players in your bottom six.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson?

I know PB... but pretty hard for one player only, to do the rough stuff. 

I would be very concerned, if the only payer we have to stand up to the tough/ dirty boys, would be Gudbranson.

I think, if Dorsett isn't ready for the ruff and tumble, a player like Ryan White, may come in straight from right field to do this... Unless they feel JV or Gaunce can dish it out. 

Don't really see anyone else able to step up to the plate, like Hansen did, when Danny got blindsided... except Gudbranson as you say.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, kloubek said:

True enough - but as he is expected to play more of a stay-at-home game, he's halfway down the ice when anything happens.  I think the point was more in reference to the forward lines and a tough forecheck.

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I know PB... but pretty hard for one player only, to do the rough stuff. 

I would be very concerned, if the only payer we have to stand up to the tough/ dirty boys, would be Gudbranson.

I think, if Dorsett isn't ready for the ruff and tumble, a player like Ryan White, may come in straight from right field to do this... Unless they feel JV or Gaunce can dish it out. 

Don't really see anyone else able to step up to the plate, like Hansen did, when Danny got blindsided... except Gudbranson as you say.

I totally agree that one player on the ice isn't sufficient, but if Gudbranson is on the ice, I fully expect him to skate his merry way down the ice to help the opposing player get used to their new face.

That being said, I hope Dorsett is well enough to get back into the swing of things, because as Canucks fans know, the division has not only improved in the speed and skill department, but has also added some heft and toughness. I'm looking forward to Evander Kane reaching free agency next July and Benning making a serious play for him, which would give the Canucks the rarest of things, legit fearlessness and toughness in the top 6.

In the meantime, if Dorsett's neck is f'ed, I'd hope that White makes a case for himself and provides some serious pushback for the bottom six.

• Upvote 1

Dorset is a crappy fighter and loses every time he  fights.  Lots of heart but just way to small to fight effectively against larger players...

Guddy can fight but doesn't seem to really want to.........  

Canucks really could use another player preferably a forward that can help with this part of the game... Jake are you listening ?????

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

He is a decent player, but without him to step up, there is no one...

Thus in that case I think, somebody else would probably take his spot, whether it would be unfair or not.

I think he is a perfect 3/4th liner, especially on this team. His play is what helped Horvat come out as a rookie, not his fists. He is a heart and soul guy. Is there another on the Canucks? Bit of a pause as I think. 

Like I said, I hope he is healthy and can play hokey and not have to be the Lone Ranger on such a devoid of pushback team. He deserves better. The guy is a good hockey player. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dorset is a crappy fighter and loses every time he  fights.  Lots of heart but just way to small to fight effectively against larger players...

Guddy can fight but doesn't seem to really want to.........  

Canucks really could use another player preferably a forward that can help with this part of the game... Jake are you listening ?????

If you want Jake to fight, you will be complaining about another player who is a crappy fighter and loses every time he fights. 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I totally agree that one player on the ice isn't sufficient, but if Gudbranson is on the ice, I fully expect him to skate his merry way down the ice to help the opposing player get used to their new face.

That being said, I hope Dorsett is well enough to get back into the swing of things, because as Canucks fans know, the division has not only improved in the speed and skill department, but has also added some heft and toughness. I'm looking forward to Evander Kane reaching free agency next July and Benning making a serious play for him, which would give the Canucks the rarest of things, legit fearlessness and toughness in the top 6.

In the meantime, if Dorsett's neck is f'ed, I'd hope that White makes a case for himself and provides some serious pushback for the bottom six.

Amen... +1

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Amen... +1

I don't see a whole lot of fights occurring this season. For me, as a fairly long-time fan, I'm hoping for:

• a far more aggressive forecheck
  • far more aggressive positioning in front of the net and in the corners, and
  • seeing the majority of the players finishing their checks with some form of authority.

I'm all for the spontaneous fisticuffs once in a while, but would much rather have a team that plays with a greater sense of self, that makes the other team pay for it. An overall more confident presence that doesn't shrink after a couple of hits.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see a whole lot of fights occurring this season. For me, as a fairly long-time fan, I'm hoping for:

• a far more aggressive forecheck
  • far more aggressive positioning in front of the net and in the corners, and
  • seeing the majority of the players finishing their checks with some form of authority.

I'm all for the spontaneous fisticuffs once in a while, but would much rather have a team that plays with a greater sense of self, that makes the other team pay for it. An overall more confident presence that doesn't shrink after a couple of hits, also known as the Vrbata Syndrome.

Agree.

When you look at the roster, there isn't much snarl in it, and if the roster looks fairly easy to ruff up at the moment. 

Not a fan of staged fights, but not a fan of standing back, when play becomes duchy, neither ...

Dorsett brings agressive forecheck, finishes his checks and is agressive in front of the net (although not the biggest)...  

There's been a lot of talk about mentoring the prospects, and I do believe, what Dorsett brings is an important part of that, while still being a decent hockey player.

Still think it'll be a few years more before we see a team with proper pushback and ability... But Kane could help change that next year.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

If you want Jake to fight, you will be complaining about another player who is a crappy fighter and loses every time he fights. 

Awesome

Jake might have the size and snarl, but when it comes to fighting other NHL fighters, he won't be a stud. 

Rather a punching bag than a pushover though! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agree.

When you look at the roster, there isn't much snarl in it, and if the roster looks fairly easy to ruff up at the moment. 

Not a fan of staged fights, but not a fan of standing back, when play becomes duchy, neither ...

Dorsett brings agressive forecheck, finishes his checks and is agressive in front of the net (although not the biggest)...  

There's been a lot of talk about mentoring the prospects, and I do believe, what Dorsett brings is an important part of that, while still being a decent hockey player.

Still think it'll be a few years more before we see a team with proper pushback and ability... But Kane could help change that next year.

Totally agree

Dorsett has enough skill to actually contribute in developing the youth, as well as playing "the big brother" role in helping to create a safer work environment.

You don't actually have to "win" fights per se. Getting punched hurts, no way around it, and Dorsett certainly doesn't mind dishing or receiving to make a point. He's a good deterent and a solid role model for hard work, intesity and push back. He's definitely not a skateaway-with-head-down-guy.

The thought of Jimbo getting Kane next summer is enticing. And with Virtanen and Gadjovic coming up in the next few years, Dorsett could really make a mark and prove very useful in developing 

"skilled(ish) truculence"

• Upvote 2