The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

On September 2, 2016 at 4:33 PM, smithers joe said:

and also if someone doesn't like a player, he can't do anything right. i think dorsett gives bo and his line mate more room. bo, eventually will be our ##2 center and will need a different kind of line mates. right now he is learning the defensive role. he might switch with sutter before the year is out. if they were going with 3 scoring lines than dorsett might not fit there.

The only way Dorsett gives Bo and his line mate more room is from drawing a penalty and taking a penalty at the same time resulting in a 4 on 4.

The guy had 17 points for Christ sake.

People act like he is hockey's version of an offensive lineman creating these huge holes in defenses to alow us to 1,000s of goals. 

43 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The only way Dorsett gives Bo and his line mate more room is from drawing a penalty and taking a penalty at the same time resulting in a 4 on 4.

The guy had 17 points for Christ sake.

People act like he is hockey's version of an offensive lineman creating these huge holes in defenses to alow us to 1,000s of goals. 

dorsett takes some pressure of bo and linemate by his gritty play and willingness to stand up for his team mates. his point totals are not why he was picked up. most of dorsett's points were picked up on the 4th line.  i don't think gretzky, kurri or the oilers cared how many points semenko got. his presence gave gretz and kurri more room.  dorsett also helps bo on the defensive side of the game. 

dorsett will land where his play lands him. i just personally like him with bo. just my opinion, i don't coach the team or ever could.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, smithers joe said:

agreed ...until the younger players can push the older players out, the coach puts the line up on the ice, he feels gives them the best chance to win.. you can't blame the coach for that. 

if this team is as bad as many people claim they will be, how can you blame the coach for that.? 

IMHO this is all a balancing act for the Canucks. Yes, the younger players should evolve in a winning atmosphere if possible. In the Canucks case their prospect depth had a huge whole in the 22 - 28 age group which forced Benning into acquiring players to slot into that area. Many are on 2nd & 3rd chances with NHL orgs and their success is very much in question. As an org the Canucks have a serious problem if the Twins decide to pack it in, in 2 years, or if their performance deteriorates. It pushes Horvat up the roster, perhaps, to quickly.  

IMO Benning/Linden are following the proper timeline. While winning is desirable I am not terribly upset if it does not happen this year. The priority has to be player evaluation and TOI for young player development. If the Canucks win a little more and are more physically competitive I suspect fans will be happier during this process. Deepening the prospect pool is ongoing.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO this is all a balancing act for the Canucks. Yes, the younger players should evolve in a winning atmosphere if possible. In the Canucks case their prospect depth had a huge whole in the 22 - 28 age group which forced Benning into acquiring players to slot into that area. Many are on 2nd & 3rd chances with NHL orgs and their success is very much in question. As an org the Canucks have a serious problem if the Twins decide to pack it in, in 2 years, or if their performance deteriorates. It pushes Horvat up the roster, perhaps, to quickly.  

IMO Benning/Linden are following the proper timeline. While winning is desirable I am not terribly upset if it does not happen this year. The priority has to be player evaluation and TOI for young player development. If the Canucks win a little more and are more physically competitive I suspect fans will be happier during this process. Deepening the prospect pool is ongoing.  

i agree 100%

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Dorsett does not offer the same sense of enforcement, intimidation, or even offense that Semenko did.

What Dorsett does do, and its IMO the real reason guys like Benning love him, is how hard he plays the game? We're talking really hard! Gets over the boards flying and he's chasing down the puck. Chasing down D. He's full bore in the corners. Doesn't stop even if it means after the whistle stuff with guys 40 lbs bigger than him. No fear? Honestly full bore to the detriment of the team sometimes as he over commits?

But his work rate is infectious. Bo for example, learned right off the get go to also play hard and not to be afraid to up his speed in pursuit. Not lay back in any zone position. If guys with more talent pick up on that they become much more effective. I can almost here him yelling at rookies? "C'mon! Get after it!" Guys always know Dorsett is right behind them  & he is coming?

Like Burrows when he was breaking in?

Edit: And look at some guys who never made it? Schroeder, Jensen, early days of Gaunce, cough Hodgson.

No pressure! Sit in the lane cheating. Let the game dictate the pace, not me?

Great post, Surfer.  That's what Dorsett brings and he's the best role model for bottom 6 (especially 4th liner) guys you can find.  If you want to make the NHL with lower level skill, ya better work yer arse off and never quit!  C'mon Gaunce, Grenier, Zal, Etem and the rest of you borderline guys...100% or just go home.  There's someone just as good as you waiting in the wings who will gladly work harder and take your spot!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Great post, Surfer.  That's what Dorsett brings and he's the best role model for bottom 6 (especially 4th liner) guys you can find.  If you want to make the NHL with lower level skill, ya better work yer arse off and never quit!  C'mon Gaunce, Grenier, Zal, Etem and the rest of you borderline guys...100% or just go home.  There's someone just as good as you waiting in the wings who will gladly work harder and take your spot!

This. now is not the time to rest on your laurels.

On 4 September 2016 at 5:31 PM, Boudrias said:

Yes but they will have $14M to spend which could possibly be boosted up to $20M given that we will be accommodating quite a few young players and maybe offloading the likes of Burr, Edler and Miller in that time. So it's not all gloom.

Edited by alfstonker

On 4 September 2016 at 11:52 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Dorsett does not offer the same sense of enforcement, intimidation, or even offense that Semenko did.

What Dorsett does do, and its IMO the real reason guys like Benning love him, is how hard he plays the game? We're talking really hard! Gets over the boards flying and he's chasing down the puck. Chasing down D. He's full bore in the corners. Doesn't stop even if it means after the whistle stuff with guys 40 lbs bigger than him. No fear? Honestly full bore to the detriment of the team sometimes as he over commits?

But his work rate is infectious. Bo for example, learned right off the get go to also play hard and not to be afraid to up his speed in pursuit. Not lay back in any zone position. If guys with more talent pick up on that they become much more effective. I can almost here him yelling at rookies? "C'mon! Get after it!" Guys always know Dorsett is right behind them  & he is coming?

Like Burrows when he was breaking in?

Edit: And look at some guys who never made it? Schroeder, Jensen, early days of Gaunce, cough Hodgson.

No pressure! Sit in the lane cheating. Let the game dictate the pace, not me?

Good post. Gaunce already looks like he chases down given what can be seen in his videos. I would love to see Gaunce on Dorsett's line.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Dorsett was effective last night, he played hard all night and drew a penalty at a major point in the game because of it.   He doesn't score goals but he helps the team in many other ways. 

He played a huge role on a goal tonight as well. 

I agree.  So far in the two games in the season he's played the 4th line role perfectly.  His pass to Hutton showed both vision and skill, or at least it passed for it.  I loved his hustle.  He threw a crushing check last night and finished his checks well both nights.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Time to give some respect to Dors.... during our losing streak, which he was injured, that 4th line has done nothing but stink it up. 

This guy wins forechecking battles, chirps the other team, will fight the other teams biggest baddest player and still create chances. Remember him with Bo in the first game? Laugh all you want that was our best line at creating chances off the forecheck. 

I thought Gudbranson would fill Dors role, but he only fought Kassian otherwise he was invisible after the whistle in scrums and in protecting our goalies. At least Dors ran Elliot after the flamers ran our goalie, where was the White Knight Mr. Captain Gudbranson? Oh thats right probably thinking about his contract. 

Give me a break with the Dorsett hate, this team lacks the will to win, unlike a good old hardworking boy from Saskatchewan.

This team is not capable of standing up for each other unless Dors is there. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2016 at 3:29 AM, SaintPatrick33 said:

Time to give some respect to Dors.... during our losing streak, which he was injured, that 4th line has done nothing but stink it up. 

This guy wins forechecking battles, chirps the other team, will fight the other teams biggest baddest player and still create chances. Remember him with Bo in the first game? Laugh all you want that was our best line at creating chances off the forecheck. 

I thought Gudbranson would fill Dors role, but he only fought Kassian otherwise he was invisible after the whistle in scrums and in protecting our goalies. At least Dors ran Elliot after the flamers ran our goalie, where was the White Knight Mr. Captain Gudbranson? Oh thats right probably thinking about his contract. 

Give me a break with the Dorsett hate, this team lacks the will to win, unlike a good old hardworking boy from Saskatchewan.

This team is not capable of standing up for each other unless Dors is there. 

Right with you there on Dors...not so much on the Gudbranson hate. Largely he stopped anything from happening before it's even started just by being on the ice. He also took a solid penalty a couple games ago in the name of payg back.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying to find out how long Dors is gone for, all the info I found was in the province which stated he is being sent for further evaluation. Any insiders on CDC who can tell me how long he is out for? 

Our best forechecker grinder and in your face type of player, get well soon Dors, this team needs you! 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:41 AM, SaintPatrick33 said:

Been trying to find out how long Dors is gone for, all the info I found was in the province which stated he is being sent for further evaluation. Any insiders on CDC who can tell me how long he is out for? 

Our best forechecker grinder and in your face type of player, get well soon Dors, this team needs you! 

Both Dorsett and Burrows have been playing solid hockey. With Gaunce at 4C the line has been a very steadying influence. That said I suspect one of them will be gone by next year.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/dorsett-surgery/c-284402348

Derek Dorsett to Undergo Surgery

by Canucks Media Relations @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks
 10:37 AM
cut.jpg

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced today that forward, Derek Dorsett, will undergo cervical fusion surgery to repair disc degeneration in his neck. Dorsett is expected to make a full recovery and return to play.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. Robert Watkins of the Marina Del Rey Hospital spine clinic in Los Angeles, California. Due to the nature of the procedure a definitive timeline will not be confirmed.

"The decision to perform surgery was made after a thorough review of our options, including non-surgical treatment and rehabilitation," said Benning. "Derek, our Canucks medical team and Dr. Watkins believe that surgery offers the best outcome both for his career and long-term health. Derek is an important member of our team and we are optimistic for a full recovery."